Items Prismatic Gems, Vanity, and Tricks of the Light

bad_news

Duke Fishron
Currently the only function the Large Gems have is to show a marker over your head, and a part of a multiplayer gamemode. Given the amount of items crafted using gems, I think that using the large gems in some items would be interesting. Hence...

Prismatic Gems
[Placeholder]
Material
Stacks to 99
Large_Gem.png
Crafted from one of each large gem.

Used in:

Prism Crown
[Placeholder]
Vanity
Does not stack
Crafted like the current crowns, but with a prismatic gem instead of a ruby.

Prism Staff:
[Placeholder]
Staff-type magic weapon
~40 base damage; secondary projectiles do ~half this
Does not stack
Fires a beam of white light that pierces and ricochets off of blocks and splits into 7 constituent colors upon traveling a certain distance and pierces. Secondary projectiles (colored) do not pierce, ricochet only once, and do a fraction of the damage of the main projectile.
Recipe:
  • 1 Prismatic gem
  • 12 Chlorophyte bar
  • 12 ectoplasm
Idea for the staff was inspired by a post on one of the Biome Weapon Project pages.

Always open to feedback!

Looks like I beat you to the punch, with a much more reasonable crafting recipe to boot.

Frankly, your proposition for a crafting recipe is pretty ridiculous, and a Prism Staff made of Chloro and Ecto doesn't make much sense- it'd make a lot more as a Hallowed item. But of course let's not forget that your proposition requires a completely absurd 90 total gems to make one Prismatic Gem. I'm sorry, but out of all the possible crafting recipes for this kind of thing, the one you're proposing is the least reasonable.

Looks like I beat you to the punch, with a much more reasonable crafting recipe to boot.

Frankly, your proposition for a crafting recipe is pretty ridiculous, and a Prism Staff made of Chloro and Ecto doesn't make much sense- it'd make a lot more as a Hallowed item. But of course let's not forget that your proposition requires a completely absurd 90 total gems to make one Prismatic Gem. I'm sorry, but out of all the possible crafting recipes for this kind of thing, the one you're proposing is the least reasonable.
Actually it could be made worse if he added diamond rings into the mix.

Actually it could be made worse if he added diamond rings into the mix.
Yeah, but then that's not a gem, that's a ring. :p

(I really don't see why you can't just CRAFT diamond rings, we have access to all of the materials that would be used. Sorry, I really don't feel like paying 2 platinum for what basically equates to five cyan pixels.)

The intention of it was to add a use for the large gems, and honestly, by the time you can afford to make large gems it shouldn't be difficult to get one of each. The chlorophyte and ectoplasm in the crafting are the same materials in Spectre armor.

The intention of it was to add a use for the large gems, and honestly, by the time you can afford to make large gems it shouldn't be difficult to get one of each. The chlorophyte and ectoplasm in the crafting are the same materials in Spectre armor.
You do realize you require 90 gems total to get one Prismatic Gem, right? Which, for anyone who hasn't been actively collecting gems (a lot of us, by the way), takes a LONG TIME. You only have two options to get them- mining or extractinating, and both take a long time, especially to get 15 of each gem, and all to make a gem whose crafting recipe doesn't even make sense and is used for literally two things- a staff that's in completely the wrong tier (again, a Prism Staff fits Hallow way more than Spectre, which really shouldn't use even Chloro in the first place but I'm not here to complain about THAT) and a crown that is both hilariously unoriginal and would have such a tiny difference it really wouldn't be worth the massive cost. It's a waste of time and gems, and lots of both. Even if you saved up stacks of silt with intentions to get a ton of gems and make both items you're proposing, it's still a waste of your time.

PLUS, logic states that combining 6 large gems- again, 90 gems in total- into one would produce a huge multicolored gem, which is just...

Large gems were made exclusively for the purposes of Capture the Gem. Let's keep it that way instead of throwing around utterly ridiculous propositions that aren't even balanced correctly.

You do realize you require 90 gems total to get one Prismatic Gem, right? Which, for anyone who hasn't been actively collecting gems (a lot of us, by the way), takes a LONG TIME. You only have two options to get them- mining or extractinating, and both take a long time, especially to get 15 of each gem, and all to make a gem whose crafting recipe doesn't even make sense and is used for literally two things- a staff that's in completely the wrong tier (again, a Prism Staff fits Hallow way more than Spectre, which really shouldn't use even Chloro in the first place but I'm not here to complain about THAT) and a crown that is both hilariously unoriginal and would have such a tiny difference it really wouldn't be worth the massive cost. It's a waste of time and gems, and lots of both. Even if you saved up stacks of silt with intentions to get a ton of gems and make both items you're proposing, it's still a waste of your time.

PLUS, logic states that combining 6 large gems- again, 90 gems in total- into one would produce a huge multicolored gem, which is just...

Large gems were made exclusively for the purposes of Capture the Gem. Let's keep it that way instead of throwing around utterly ridiculous propositions that aren't even balanced correctly.
As someone who doesn't actively collect gems, I have more than enough to make all of these three times over. If you don't throw them out, it isn't unrealistic to get at all. In terms of the crown, how exactly is it hilariously unoriginal? And yes, it would be a waste of time. So what? Do you propose the diamond ring be removed? And finally, the staff. I agree that it isn't well-balanced, since that is admittedly not my forte. BUT, as in all my posts, I specified that I'd appreciate feedback. Instead of using empty insults (i.e. utterly ridiculous propositions that aren't even balanced correctly), you could actually provide meaningful feedback of some kind. I really don't appreciate this post :/. I actively sought feedback and your tone was unnecessarily condescending and the post was unhelpful.

Edit: Your thread also contains suggestions of staves with chlorophyte and ectoplasm in the recipes.

Last edited:
When I say "not even balanced correctly" I am completely referring to the completely absurd Prismatic Gem recipe. It is completely unreasonable, especially when the original ore staves, regardless of tier, only used 8 gems- you're proposing using more than ten times as many for a staff that, while it has unique functionality, is placed in the wrong tier (seriously I cannot emphasize this enough- a staff with that theme does not fit as Spectre, it fits as Hallow) and is probably not worth the astronomical cost, because let me tell you- I have spent plenty of time mining in Terraria and I can tell you one thing- for the most part unless we are actively seeking ore staves or gem hooks, most people don't bother mining gems that often and possibly completely miss them, resulting in a number of gems obtained being FAR lower than what you think, ESPECIALLY in hardmode, where people are more focused on tracking down hardmode ores than on tracking down 90 goddamn gems for a single staff. Because, I'm sorry, I don't think that's worth it. Seriously, a single geode doesn't even provide a sixth of what's needed most of the time, especially ones with multiple gems (which I've noticed are more common), and the regular ore deposits are so rare and so stone-looking it's not only extremely easy to miss them even if you're actively looking for them (unless you're in hallow or corruption, which you often aren't), AND they don't show up in Ice, which some of us like to start in due to the unique loot to be found and awesome music.

Plus, as I already stated, I've long since beaten you to this one, with much more reasonable costs AND making more sense to boot. Seriously, Hallow = all about rainbows and stuff. Spectre = ghost, Chloro = plant. .-.

When I say "not even balanced correctly" I am completely referring to the completely absurd Prismatic Gem recipe. It is completely unreasonable, especially when the original ore staves, regardless of tier, only used 8 gems- you're proposing using more than ten times as many for a staff that, while it has unique functionality, is placed in the wrong tier (seriously I cannot emphasize this enough- a staff with that theme does not fit as Spectre, it fits as Hallow) and is probably not worth the astronomical cost, because let me tell you- I have spent plenty of time mining in Terraria and I can tell you one thing- for the most part unless we are actively seeking ore staves or gem hooks, most people don't bother mining gems that often and possibly completely miss them, resulting in a number of gems obtained being FAR lower than what you think, ESPECIALLY in hardmode, where people are more focused on tracking down hardmode ores than on tracking down 90 goddamn gems for a single staff. Because, I'm sorry, I don't think that's worth it. Seriously, a single geode doesn't even provide a sixth of what's needed most of the time, especially ones with multiple gems (which I've noticed are more common), and the regular ore deposits are so rare and so stone-looking it's not only extremely easy to miss them even if you're actively looking for them (unless you're in hallow or corruption, which you often aren't), AND they don't show up in Ice, which some of us like to start in due to the unique loot to be found and awesome music.

Plus, as I already stated, I've long since beaten you to this one, with much more reasonable costs AND making more sense to boot. Seriously, Hallow = all about rainbows and stuff. Spectre = ghost, Chloro = plant. .-.
I've spent plenty of time mining as well (I have 300+ hours logged in steam and a few hundred from before I got steam and offline, as well as a few dozen on mobile), and I've had more than enough gems to make one of the prismatic gems nearly every time I've entered hardmode, even before the extractinator. Most of these items serve only vanity purposes, and there are far harder to acquire vanities. The staff isn't necessarily at the wrong tier, though, so much as it isn't in keeping with the theme of the tier (still a problem, but not necessarily "wrong.") Honestly, the things we're suggesting are significantly different anyway, and trying to debate with different ideas/goals is pretty useless. Still, thank you for at least some feedback.

Also, I agree with the chloro and ecto, but there's also chloro and mushrooms, and turtle and beetle shells.

Back
Top Bottom