Console Terraria Console Holiday 2015 Update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When will the update for consoles be out with stuff that we are missing like dyeable wings`:(
they will give us a date when they can. they are working as hard as they can, trying to make an update with all the content, and as few bugs as possible. we just need to be patient. There is a very high chance that it will be here by the end of March

Crashing after 2-5 hours sounds like a memory leak, so it may well be due to memory. Reading the specifications, the PS Vita actually have more memory available (512 MB RAM, 128 MB VRAM) than PS3 (256 MB system and 256 MB video). So minimising memory usage by playing on smaller worlds should extend the time that you can play.

Still, it's not acceptable to have crashes that often. Have you reported this to 505? If they are aware of it they can do something about it. Maybe the Vita fixes will benefit the other console versions as well in the next update.

And here I thought Terraria was the most stable game ever, based on my own experience... :(
Why are you playing for that long anyway? Don't you think that's just a bit too extreme?o_O
[DOUBLEPOST=1456254859,1456254828][/DOUBLEPOST]No wonder it's crashing... I mean, don't you think that is just a bit too long and that you might be pushing it a bit. Not to say that this is but it could be the reason it is crashing...

Why are you playing for that long anyway? Don't you think that's just a bit too extreme?o_O
[DOUBLEPOST=1456254859,1456254828][/DOUBLEPOST]No wonder it's crashing... I mean, don't you think that is just a bit too long and that you might be pushing it a bit. Not to say that this is but it could be the reason it is crashing...
Terraria was not designed to have such limitations. Dozens of other players can attest to the fact that length of play originally had little to no impact on performance. Also 2-5 hours isn't very long for a dedicated gamer.

@Nike Leon also remember Terraria didn't really have as much content when it came out. We were at 1.1 days when it came out on PS3/Vita. All the extra content, less background movement, less going on onscreen, no dyes..The game ran much better back in that day due to the sheer fact it didn't have all the extra features we have today. there's thousands of items in the game, tons of enemies onscreen, lighting effects,an entire world to render on the move as well. It handled Terraria much better back in those days for those reasons but today we have so much going on onscreen that framerate drops to very slow levels and since the additions update Vita users have been crashing every now and then. It's a shame to say but it may be necessary to add limitations to the Vita version to keep ram usage to a minimum. Making the same limitations or similar limitations as the 3DS version may just save the Vita version.

@Ignis55 , based on your analysis, then the PS3 would be limited too as the PSVita was portrayed as a mobile PS3 by Sony. I hope you are wrong, not to make you look bad, but to have the "PC version play" come to the consoles also.

I have many hours on PS3, Xbox 360 and PSVita and never had any issues that a lot of people have. I have played for hours at a time too. My progression on the the PSVita is just barely past Hardmode. I have logged many many hours on the Xbox One console as it is my primary Terraria play source. The only time on consoles and vita that I have had framerate issues is when executing many different traps at once, more than 300 at a time.

@Nike Leon also remember Terraria didn't really have as much content when it came out. We were at 1.1 days when it came out on PS3/Vita. All the extra content, less background movement, less going on onscreen, no dyes..The game ran much better back in that day due to the sheer fact it didn't have all the extra features we have today. there's thousands of items in the game, tons of enemies onscreen, lighting effects,an entire world to render on the move as well. It handled Terraria much better back in those days for those reasons but today we have so much going on onscreen that framerate drops to very slow levels and since the additions update Vita users have been crashing every now and then. It's a shame to say but it may be necessary to add limitations to the Vita version to keep ram usage to a minimum. Making the same limitations or similar limitations as the 3DS version may just save the Vita version.
You misunderstand me. Bloopy_Doopy was saying that it was crashing due to the amount of time played, as if Terraria wasn't meant to deal with that. While it may be true that Terraria on consoles struggles after extended periods of play, it was never meant to function that way. Terraria was not designed to only be played a couple hours at a time. Thus it crashing is obviously an error, whether it's in the software or the hardware is up for debate. My point was terraria wasn't created to have time limits intentionally.

I was referring to the crashes. Yes Terraria shouldn't have limits to how long you can play BUT seeing as (if there is a memory leak) the crashing is frustrating to anyone who likes to make unhindered progress in the game without a crash robbing them of that hard work it'd be necessary to make such limitations to the worlds, background graphics and such. The Vita is a powerful little handheld but it has a hard time handling all of Terraria's features. I'd like to see the Vita version make it al the way to 1.3 but if it's crashing now, well it'll be worse by the time 1.3 would hit considering all the new invasions, and the Moon Lord himself..I don't think the game would last too long before crashing unless certain limitations are made. That being said I'd hope the find a way to stamp out crashes for good. I remember grinding for super rare items only to have the game crash and forget I even had the item. It's frustrating to anyone who grinds for items, builds massive structures, pixel art, and other things.

Terraria was not designed to have such limitations. Dozens of other players can attest to the fact that length of play originally had little to no impact on performance. Also 2-5 hours isn't very long for a dedicated gamer.
Yeah but don't you think that it takes up a lot of data space with the amount of things you would be changing in the game during the 2-5 hours of playing which may cause it to be buggy especially if you only have a memory unit (like on a default Xbox)

I was referring to the crashes. Yes Terraria shouldn't have limits to how long you can play BUT seeing as (if there is a memory leak) the crashing is frustrating to anyone who likes to make unhindered progress in the game without a crash robbing them of that hard work it'd be necessary to make such limitations to the worlds, background graphics and such. The Vita is a powerful little handheld but it has a hard time handling all of Terraria's features. I'd like to see the Vita version make it al the way to 1.3 but if it's crashing now, well it'll be worse by the time 1.3 would hit considering all the new invasions, and the Moon Lord himself..I don't think the game would last too long before crashing unless certain limitations are made. That being said I'd hope the find a way to stamp out crashes for good. I remember grinding for super rare items only to have the game crash and forget I even had the item. It's frustrating to anyone who grinds for items, builds massive structures, pixel art, and other things.
Yeah but don't you think that it takes up a lot of data space with the amount of things you would be changing in the game during the 2-5 hours of playing which may cause it to be buggy especially if you only have a memory unit (like on a default Xbox)
Yes, Terraria needs further optimization for consoles. But we may soon reach the point where last gen systems simply can't be updated any further. 1.3 made a dramatic increase in the PCs base requirements, I don't think there's much optimization that can be done outside of downgrading it to mobile features.

the two things most degrading to the memory are probably world size and dynamic/static lighting effects. Onscreen mobs don't often cause problems. It's mostly structures but with smaller worlds I can deal with that as I actualy like that it doesn't take like 30 minutes to get to the ocean(without a teleporter lol)

Actually they haven't added any of the 1.2.4 summoning armours or weapons, except of the Tempest Staff, onto Xbox 360. Being a summoner myself, was that rather disappointing.

@Ignis55 , based on your analysis, then the PS3 would be limited too as the PSVita was portrayed as a mobile PS3 by Sony. I hope you are wrong, not to make you look bad, but to have the "PC version play" come to the consoles also.

I have many hours on PS3, Xbox 360 and PSVita and never had any issues that a lot of people have. I have played for hours at a time too. My progression on the the PSVita is just barely past Hardmode. I have logged many many hours on the Xbox One console as it is my primary Terraria play source. The only time on consoles and vita that I have had framerate issues is when executing many different traps at once, more than 300 at a time.
Indeed, we shouldn't have to worry about limitations on consoles like the Xbox 360. I play on it and the only issues I have are from the coding bugs that happened in the update like the Minishark sound effect issue or the Yellow and White Horseshoe balloons being switched. Any time I have a crash is extremely rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom