Terraria State of the Game - June 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
@>>Terrarian<<
Thunder_Emperor_Kirin_07.02.2022.png

From how the discussion was progressing... this version??

Something about the illusion of transparency.gif

Wow, when you guys said you were going to be transparent with us about the new update, you weren't kidding!
This is better than I'd ever dared to dream. I have some questions:
  1. Will it work on liquids?
  2. Will the effects from light-emmitting blocks also become invisible? Specifically the maddening blinking of teleporters. If not, could the steampunker sell a non-blinking variant? Maybe if she's in a GY biome or something?
  3. Will holding the cursor over something invisible, such as a switch or torch, still display the little interaction icon (if that's what it's called)?
  4. Will there be "layers" to it? For example, can we make blocks vanish, but keep the walls behind them visible?
  5. Will the monolith(?) itself be able to turn invisible?
  6. Does the monolith have a range? Or will we just need one per map?
  7. Can the monolith be operated via wiring too?
  8. On Chippy's video, he mentioned that this would be a "coating", rather than a paint, and that there might be an "illumanant coating" too. Is this true? If so, will there be other coatings too, such as negative?
No longer contained to blocks alone, the Banners finally broke free - able to be in full display on platforms and stairs alike!
It's great that we can put them on normal platforms, but aren't we able to put them on stairs already?
1656783791113.png

Last edited:
What is a Kirin???
A creature from Asian mythology.

Asking permission from Capcom to include a kirin makes about as much sense to me as asking Bethesda Softworks permission to include a troll: unless you really want their particular take on the concept, you could just go with the public domain version from mythology and apply your own spin on it. I'm not super familiar with the Monster Hunter franchise, but its kirin looks like it's a huge electric unicorn. Perhaps it'd change my mind if I had great memories of cool battles with that creature in those games, but I think the folkloric takes on the creature are more visually interesting.

On Chippy's video, he mentioned that this would be a "coating", rather than a paint, and that there might be an "illumanant coating" too. Is this true? If so, will there be other coatings too, such as negative?
Something that I would find interesting would be "skylight coating" -- basically like illuminant, but instead of being fully lit all the time, the light level corresponds to the light level of the sky. Fully lit at noon, nearly fully dark at midnight.

This would be very useful when building to create areas that are lit by windows and other openings. If you do that will illuminant paint, it looks dumb at night to have a big shaft of sunlight coming from the darkened window...

Let it be known that if we do a Monster Hunter crossover, I'm officially going to attribute all responsibility to Toxophilite for jinxing it.
*sigh* "For two seconds, it seriously felt like I was being trolled..." 🤦‍♂️

So if an items tooltip says something like "thanks Toxophilite" I'll know it was you `:p
It's mostly funny because I'm one of the few Players that didn't want any more major updates, but I'm all-in now, because of the newer buff to Sentries, to Buff Stations, the new Slime Pets and the increase to Player Buff Slots overall; it's now a package deal. 😏 🤷‍♂️

This is better than I'd ever dared to dream. I have some questions:
  • Will it work on liquids?
  • Will the effects from light-emmitting blocks also become invisible? Specifically the maddening blinking of teleporters. If not, could the steampunker sell a non-blinking variant? Maybe if she's in a GY biome or something?
  • Will holding the cursor over something invisible, such as a switch or torch, still display the little interaction icon (if that's what it's called)?
  • Will there be "layers" to it? For example, can we make blocks vanish, but keep the walls behind them visible?
  • Will the monolith(?) itself be able to turn invisible?
  • Does the monolith have a range? Or will we just need one per map?
  • Can the monolith be operated via wiring too?
  • On Chippy's video, he mentioned that this would be a "coating", rather than a paint, and that there might be an "illumanant coating" too. Is this true? If so, will there be other coatings too, such as negative?
These are all great questions that get my builder-brain racing! I did notice that shadows are effected by the device, so one could assume that it must apply to light sources as well. One random concern I have now, is how Slab Brick is behaving in this spoiler, as this used to be a glitch, bug, oversight [where there's a gap between the Slab Brick and another surface]?

20220702014110_1a.jpg

It's great that we can put them on normal platforms, but aren't we able to put them on stairs already?

View attachment 375338
I actually had no idea you could already do this [learn something new everyday]... 🤔 🍵

Asking permission from Capcom to include a kirin makes about as much sense to me as asking Bethesda Softworks permission to include a troll: unless you really want their particular take on the concept, you could just go with the public domain version from mythology and apply your own spin on it. I'm not super familiar with the Monster Hunter franchise, but its kirin looks like it's a huge electric unicorn. Perhaps it'd change my mind if I had great memories of cool battles with that creature in those games, but I think the folkloric takes on the creature are more visually interesting.
I kind of agree with you here, seeing as how with an original design, the Terraria "Kirin" could resemble [in some ways] the Wyvern that we already have in-game, having some sort of continuity between enemy-types.

On the other hand, I can already assume that Red is looking beyond just adding a new Boss, and this will likely carry over to several newer features:
  • New crossover MH Weapons and Armor, of course.
  • New MH Vanity Sets and accessories.
  • possibly a new "mobility hook", with interesting properties.
  • A new Secret Seed, where there's an actual ecosystem [i.e. Spiders Mobs would kill Bats]??
If we could get Boss specific quests in the game, that'd be brilliant! I've been waiting for a Duke Fishron quest from the Angler that may or may not exist in the current game, but it'd be cool if NPCs were loosely linked to certain Bosses in ways other than sacrificial lambs and unconfirmed lore connections.

One random concern I have now, is how Slab Brick is behaving in this spoiler, as this used to be a glitch, bug, oversight [where there's a gap between the Slab Brick and another surface]?

This is because there's 2 different slab blocks now, the original one was fixed because it's block-blending was giga-scuffed, but they made another accent slab block which retains the blending issue.

Greetings Terrarians!

We don't know about you, but the heat this summer has been brutal so far to us! Sounds like a good excuse to grab some gaming time and catch up on the latest and greatest Terraria news, right? Development work on the Labor of Love update is in full swing across both the Re-Logic and DR Studios teams - and we are really excited for some of the juicy spoilers that we have in store for you this month (on top of those we have already shared this month in case you missed them on our socials). That said, grab a cold beverage, cool off, and settle in for this month's State of the Game!

index.php

STATE OF THE GAME - TABLE OF CONTENTS

PC NEWS - RE-LOGIC

TMODLOADER NEWS - TML TEAM

CONSOLE NEWS - DR STUDIOS

MOBILE NEWS - DR STUDIOS

COMMUNITY NEWS

index.php

index.php

TERRARIA - LABOR OF LOVE UPDATE

Labor of Love really feels like it is living up to its name more and more as each week of development goes by. The team has conducted a couple of playthroughs along the way, and we have found these to be some of the more fun and unique sessions that we have had for years. We have shared a lot of what is going into this update thus far, but rest assured that we have held some rather substantial changes and additions close to the vest as is tradition. We have a bit more to share this month... but some things you will have to discover yourself when Labor of Love launches.

No, we still do not have a date to give you - but we do see the light at the end of the tunnel...

Spoilers though? We've got one for you!

View attachment 375078
Wow, when you guys said you were going to be transparent with us about the new update, you weren't kidding!

index.php

STEAM WORKSHOP NEWS
Another month and another 1000 additions to the Workshop - with over 57,000 packs and worlds so far, you are missing out if you haven't taken the time to check out the Workshop yet.

We hope to get around to doing some "summer cleaning" of the Workshop once Labor of Love settles down a bit. If you get what we mean. (some of this has already begun) %-_-

Click the banner above to check out the Terraria Workshop!

index.php

WHAT ELSE IS GOING ON?

Right now, the core focus of the time is the final push to get Labor of Love done to what we have as the vision for the update. Still have that one eye on the future though. :)

index.php

As always, keep your bug reports coming via the handy bug report button below!

index.php

Thanks again, Terrarians - we are as always blown away by your support!

Back to Table of Contents
index.php

index.php

Hello everyone!

On June 2, 2022, we launched tModLoader for Terraria 1.4+ to Terrarians everywhere. This was the result of countless hours of hard work by the TML Team and many other contributors over the span of nearly two years, and the team is beyond thrilled to have TML 1.4 in your hands. We specifically want to recognize the following folks whom have made invaluable contributions to the TML project since Journey's End released in 2020:

direwolf420, Chik3r, ExterminatorX99, ThomasThePencil, Itorius, Steviegt6, Rartrin, Agrair, Ishigh1, DarkLight66, DarioDaF, kittenchilly, Dual-Iron, MrSlimeDude, sgkoishi, OliHeamon, RighteousRyan1, Igmc, NotLe0n, Pixelnando, daim03, fakelag, andrewlord607, pollen00, einarmo, Setnour6, MutantWafflez, Ozzatron, Antirhinnum, CriddleZap, jackbondpreston, Pbone3, ModernMAK, Crapsky233, absoluteAquarian, rjmarzec, ubnt-intrepid, ScalarVector1, Pacnysam, Falcon-05, staticfox, JPANv2, Nyrest, Naginif, D1plex, georgewoodall82, Tyfyter, zzp198, SpencerDawg, RunningDroid, Trivaxy, SadOnion, miarodri, sdegueldre, JamzOhJamz, Ved-s, BarteQ778177, Lumelore, RuneZhevitz, Dinoxel, jjohnsnaill, xKirtle, MikhailMCraft,terrynmuse, hannest03, Fatiz, Valjean42, TomaszOleszko, Rijam, IbanPlay, Fragstiller, S-Pladison

index.php

tModLoader Steam Workshop - Now Available!
View attachment 375076

The launch of TML 1.4 also allowed the team to bring the tModLoader Steam Workshop online. We have already seen nearly 1,400 mods make their way onto the Workshop in the first month alone, with some of the more well-known mods being added to the Workshop in recent days. Coupled with the in-game mod browser, the TML Steam Workshop is a great way to explore what modded Terraria has to offer - check it out today by clicking the banner above!
index.php

tModLoader 1.3 Still Available

Of course, the developers behind each individual Terraria mod will need to update their mods to the 1.4 era, so hang with them while that process takes place. We also realize that some older mods that are no longer in development may never make the leap to the 1.4 era. Given that, we have kept the 1.3.5 version of TML playable

How do I switch to back to 1.3 tModLoader?
1. Right click on tModLoader in Steam and select 'Properties...', then 'BETAS';
2. Select '1.3-legacy' in the drop-down menu on top;
3. Close the window. You don't need to type any passwords!
index.php

WHAT'S NEXT FOR TML?

One of the biggest priorities this last month has been to rapidly respond to release issues, and fix several of the bugs that users are seeing.
We hope the upcoming July stable release will fix a large portion, but we know there is still more to do and are actively working to resolve several. We appreciate everyone's patience as we pursue a better modloader!

Our other big priority this month was fleshing out tModPorter.

This custom software, bundled with tModLoader, provides the capability to quickly bring a 1.3 mod to majority ported to 1.4.
Further still, it will also be the primary tool we provide so modders can do the minor porting for code on each monthly release moving forward.
We hope that all modders take advantage of this tool to make their lives easier, and if you have improvements, don't hesitate to reach out in our discord.

As always, you can keep track the current progress and such more in real time at tModLoader/tModLoader (But note that the completion percentage doesn't mean anything, because issues and PRs don't have weights.)

Developers who are willing to contribute may do so by doing PRs to the tModLoader/tModLoader branch. (See tModLoader/tModLoader)

index.php

TMODLOADER ISSUES/BUGS

The Re-Logic team does not directly develop TML, so bugs with TML are best reported via the links below.

tModLoader - Play Terraria with Mods!

https://tmodloader.net/discord

index.php

index.php

CONSOLES - PLAYSTATION/XBOX/SWITCH

The team at DR Studios has been feverishly working to try and keep pace with the development of Labor of Love that is taking place on the PC side of things. Yes, in case you missed last month's State of the Game, we have already begun active development of Labor of Love for Console and Mobile. In addition, earlier in June we shared a "first look" spoiler on Mobile (which you will find below in the Mobile section for any that missed it) - the first time that brand new Terraria content/features have been shown on anything other than PC. Well, we don't want our Console Terrarians feeling left out - so here's another first look at a brand new feature coming to Terraria when Labor of Love is available...

View attachment 375077
No longer contained to blocks alone, the Banners finally broke free - able to be in full display on platforms and stairs alike!

Until next time, Console friends - thanks for all of your love and support!

索引.php

The team is feeling pretty good about console at this point, but we know a handful of bugs and issues are still wandering out there in the wild. We have most of these documented (again, the best way to make sure your issue is seen is to file a Bug Report in the TCF Bug Section by pressing the button below!)

index.php

index.php

Hello everyone!

So yeah, what a month! We were beyond thrilled to be able to share a first-ever new content Terraria spoiler on Mobile! After years of playing catch-up, it is such a fun time to be able to work on Mobile (and Console) in parallel to the ongoing work on PC. What's that? You missed the Mobile spoiler earlier this month? Well, allow us to share it once again below...

You may also want to check out the Console section of this month's State of the Game for yet another first-ever spoiler, this time on Switch!

Thanks as always for the honor and trust you give us each month to work on Terraria - it is not a responsibility that we take lightly, and we look forward to bringing more amazing things to you all as we move forward.

Greetings Terrarians!

Here's the latest and greatest happenings on the Community side of things. Thanks as always for being the most engaged and awesome gaming Community ever!

index.php

TERRARIA MERCHANDISE STORE HUB

The merchandise hub is where you can find all of the latest and greatest Terraria merchandise - and we are kicking off the new year with a handful of new offerings, including brand new plush! Check out the latest merch drops as well as some classics and pick up that epic Terraria gift for a friend (or yourself!).

点击上方的横幅,立即前往Terraria.org/store

index.php

泰拉瑞亚商品更新

这个月没有什么新鲜事要分享……但是我们在今年剩下的时间里准备了很多有趣的东西。希望能够很快分享其中的一些。

index.php

其他社区新闻

TERRARIA LEGO IDEAS 概念更新 - 2300 名支持者出发!

过去几个月我们一直在提到的 Terraria Lego Ideas 概念(详情请查看 4 月和 5 月的游戏状态)正在接近神奇的 10,000 里程碑。目前约有 7700 名支持者,它已迅速攀升至排行榜!如果可能,可能,看到这样的事情发生(或者可能其他类似的事情,谁知道呢?)在未来激起您的兴趣,请单击下面的链接并在这个想法背后表达您的支持。

泰拉瑞亚乐高创意页面

index.php

r/terraria 达到一百万订阅者!

View attachment 375116

祝贺泰拉瑞亚社区在 Reddit 上达到了令人难以置信的 100 万订阅者里程碑!这确实是一项值得我们分享的成就。向 r/terraria 版主致敬,感谢他们在促进社区逐渐喜爱的令人敬畏的中心方面做出的贡献。

View attachment 375117 View attachment 375119 View attachment 375118
(100 万个 subs r/terraria 午餐派对上的美味冰淇淋蛋糕)

为了庆祝这一时刻,我们在社区中创建了频道,您可以在其中分享您多年来最喜欢的 r/terraria 回忆。还有时间参与并阅读社区分享的精彩主题。

如果你想在 r/terraria 上分享你最喜欢的回忆,那么你可以在 中分享它们

如果您想在论坛上分享您最喜欢的主题和回忆,那么您可以在r/terraria Subreddit 中分享它们,达到一百万泰拉瑞亚人!

index.php

官方法国 TERRARIA DISCORD 服务器

我们有一些令人难以置信的激动人心的消息!泰拉瑞亚现在正式与 Discord 合作,发起一项涉及非英语社区的全新全球计划!我们很自豪地宣布位于加入 TerraServ Discord 服务器的法国泰拉瑞亚官方服务器!如果您会说法语或认识任何会说法语的泰拉瑞亚玩家并有兴趣加入官方的法语泰拉瑞亚社区,那么请随时向他们转发邀请。

View attachment 375120

加入有趣的对话、活动等!我们将在未来发布与法语服务器和其他非英语泰拉瑞亚服务器相关的额外公告。但是,现在请欢迎我们最新的经过验证的社区。

向地球人致敬!Nous nous sommes associés à Discord pour créer un serverur officiel français !Rejoignez-nous dès maintenant pour discuter, participer à des activités et bien plus encore à:加入 TerraServ Discord 服务器!

index.php

直到下一次,Terrarians - 我们希望你有一个美好的月份,我们期待着下一次为你带来最新和最棒的!

返回目录[/go

I'm sure the Devs could've gotten pretty creative up and until about mid-game, but unfortunately almost every Class starts to look eerily similar to one another nearer to the endgame IMHO. Everyone's just tossing out projectiles at that point, and even though Summoner is in quite the unique state via 2022, there are still players that think that Whips are still too short. 😏 🤷‍♂️
Regarding weapons in late game I am bothered a bit by how limited the options become in late game in some aspects. I feel the alt attack and or block option really is under utilized for a lot of weapons particularly melee options though ranged could really benefit as well. The big problem with keeping the damage classes fair is that Terraria's defense system makes them

Side Note: I'm still hearing complaints about the Mana Sickness gimmick remaining until late-game as well.

Considering the fact that Melee didn't get an overhaul itself until recently, or up until the release of 1.4.4, I don't really see much of what Throwing Class would've brought to the table. I strongly believe that the gimmicks would've seriously gotten in the way at a certain point of progression, especially if the "consumable item" gimmick remained up until late-Hardmode.
Where have we learned about a melee overhaul? To my knowledge it seems to be more of some weapon specific buffs some like the Star Wrath of which are postgame weapons anyways

To their credit, the Devs did go the extra mile to make more "Class Neutral Items".
This was generally a good change in a number of ways but I am still quite disappointed with how the bone glove was handled as the new generic class variant isn't anywhere near as fun or useful IMO I wish they could have kept the weapon aspect around perhaps reworked into a new regular drop from Skeletron? Bone Sling perhaps? That would give Skeletron both a magic and a ranged weapon so only melee and summon would be missing a weapon drop following the trend for most bosses with weapon drops to at least drop a melee ranged and magic weapon. It was a missed opportunity IMO as while it didn't fit really as an expert drop it was one of the more enjoyable ranged weapons that actually felt fun and interesting to use rather than just doing higher damage.

I agree, the Accessory Slot changes where a bit head scratchy, I'm still not sure 'til this day what he point of that was...

The Void Bag having some sort of Auto-Sorting ability would be brilliant, but we're also getting a major buff to Player and Chest stack-size limit in 1.4.4.
Yeah it was an odd choice especially since a good number of accessories that seem like they should have a vanity effect don't despite similar items i.e. the Greed ring has no vanity role while the Diamond ring does exist. If it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't mind as much.

Any news on what the 4th liquid will be? Ever since playing 1.2 on the PS3 I've wanted to see pools of poison located around the underground. Although now I suppose it would be acid-venom so as to damage more enemy types.

Any news on what the 4th liquid will be? Ever since playing 1.2 on the PS3 I've wanted to see pools of poison located around the underground. Although now I suppose it would be acid-venom so as to damage more enemy types.
I was thinking about this these days, and I think it needs to be something more special. With interesting physics and mechanics and a good interaction with the environment and the other liquids. I made a list of possible 4th liquid (only for me), but it could be anything other than what I thought it could be.

I agree with this, throwing was my favorite class in 1.3, and then it was just... gone again, and I had to find a new favorite (which became summoner thanks to my potato... that's one thing Calamity did for me)
But now these items receive a bonus from the ranged class. If you return the throwing class(and in fact, do these things without a class bonus), it will be a nerf.

Nothing prevents you from using them now.

Regarding weapons in late game I am bothered a bit by how limited the options become in late game in some aspects. I feel the alt attack and or block option really is under utilized for a lot of weapons particularly melee options though ranged could really benefit as well. The big problem with keeping the damage classes fair is that Terraria's defense system makes them
I'm under the belief that there's actually too many Weapons in late game, the only exception being Pure Summoner [of course], but if you take into account most of the Hybrid Classes... Summoner gets pretty crazy IHMO.
  • Landmines
  • Specialty Ammo [Nano Bullets]
  • Sniper Rifle
  • Sentries

Where have we learned about a melee overhaul? To my knowledge it seems to be more of some weapon specific buffs some like the Star Wrath of which are postgame weapons anyways
You know, you make a valid point here. I think "overhaul" might be a bit pretentious, considering how little we know at this time. Let's go with "rework", a number of Melee Weapons are being reworked, and the evidence points to an attempt to make Melee Class more in-your-face as far as "gimmicks" go.

This was generally a good change in a number of ways but I am still quite disappointed with how the bone glove was handled as the new generic class variant isn't anywhere near as fun or useful IMO I wish they could have kept the weapon aspect around perhaps reworked into a new regular drop from Skeletron? Bone Sling perhaps? That would give Skeletron both a magic and a ranged weapon so only melee and summon would be missing a weapon drop following the trend for most bosses with weapon drops to at least drop a melee ranged and magic weapon. It was a missed opportunity IMO as while it didn't fit really as an expert drop it was one of the more enjoyable ranged weapons that actually felt fun and interesting to use rather than just doing higher damage.
I personally enjoy Bone Glove in it's current state, because the room for creativity of how to use it-is still "undefined". I personally find it very effective at making previously 3-Hit Kill Weapons, 2-Hit Kill Weapons, in it's most fundamental state, add on any other passive DPS [Flasks, Buffs, Minions] and you've got yourself a 1-Hit Kill Weapon at best!

But now these items receive a bonus from the ranged class. If you return the throwing class(and in fact, do these things without a class bonus), it will be a nerf.

Nothing prevents you from using them now.
I know that, and I do still use them, but part of me misses the throwing class every time I throw a bone knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom