Video The Great Summoner Challenge! A Hardcore/Expert video series

Man.. That last one erected a small bit of sadness and sympathy with the expectance of dawn making prime go guardian.. But you pulled it off.

The editing and all is definitely well done, btw. It gives us some character and something more interesting to look at than what everybody else has already done.
One of the reasons I'm excited to see the whole series.

Man.. That last one erected a small bit of sadness and sympathy with the expectance of dawn making prime go guardian.. But you pulled it off.
That whole sequence was a bit disappointing. Even when it happened I thought it was an anticlimax, but it's what happened and I can't change it! Maybe some people who didn't know about the cheese strat will get something out of it.

I do wish they'd patch that, though. After all, they patched Duke Fishron by giving him an enraged mode so that you couldn't just run away forever with an asphalt bridge... and this is more trivial than Fishron ever was. You just need to fall for a while!

The editing and all is definitely well done, btw. It gives us some character and something more interesting to look at than what everybody else has already done.
One of the reasons I'm excited to see the whole series.
Thank you! ♥ I greatly appreciate it. Speaking of which, I should get to work. I'm almost done with episode 13 and I want to have it uploaded by Friday.

That whole sequence was a bit disappointing. Even when it happened I thought it was an anticlimax, but it's what happened and I can't change it! Maybe some people who didn't know about the cheese strat will get something out of it.

I do wish they'd patch that, though. After all, they patched Duke Fishron by giving him an enraged mode so that you couldn't just run away forever with an asphalt bridge... and this is more trivial than Fishron ever was. You just need to fall for a while!

Thank you! ♥ I greatly appreciate it. Speaking of which, I should get to work. I'm almost done with episode 13 and I want to have it uploaded by Friday.
I am curious, btw.

Have you already gotten through the entire play through?

At first, I assumed each episode was edited and posted after they were done recording.. but recently I've thought that Maybe you've already completed the actual gameplay already and are just editing and posting.

Early on I debated whether or not I should tell people how far I had gotten and what my process was. Obviously if I tell people it may influence their mindset when they're watching new episodes. On the other hand, people may not want to embark upon a series if they think it could end at any moment with an unfortunate "oops I died to a trap oh well, THANKS 4 WATCHING PLS LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE". So for those of you who want to know, click below:

I have indeed completed the playthrough. I wouldn't subject you (or myself) to a video series which doesn't have at least a satisfying conclusion. I actually had several playthroughs before this one where I did die (usually early on), and in every case I deleted the footage and started over from scratch. Painful, but I couldn't produce a series this long and time consuming until I knew it had a proper ending.

As a result I have two hard drives full of Terraria footage! 1080p60fps @ near-lossless quality takes up a lot of space. There was a real pressure to at least get the Bob Ross episode done because there was an absolutely insane amount of footage of the construction process that I wanted to be able to delete. Out of 25 hours of building footage, I ended up using 1.3% of it to produce the final ~20 minute episode. That was a miserable edit, believe me.

Early on I debated whether or not I should tell people how far I had gotten and what my process was. Obviously if I tell people it may influence their mindset when they're watching new episodes. On the other hand, people may not want to embark upon a series if they think it could end at any moment with an unfortunate "oops I died to a trap oh well, THANKS 4 WATCHING PLS LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE". So for those of you who want to know, click below:

I have indeed completed the playthrough. I wouldn't subject you (or myself) to a video series which doesn't have at least a satisfying conclusion. I actually had several playthroughs before this one where I did die (usually early on), and in every case I deleted the footage and started over from scratch. Painful, but I couldn't produce a series this long and time consuming until I knew it had a proper ending.

As a result I have two hard drives full of Terraria footage! 1080p60fps @ near-lossless quality takes up a lot of space. There was a real pressure to at least get the Bob Ross episode done because there was an absolutely insane amount of footage of the construction process that I wanted to be able to delete. Out of 25 hours of building footage, I ended up using 1.3% of it to produce the final ~20 minute episode. That was a miserable edit, believe me.
You've thought this through pretty well.

I'll try not to spoil anything.. but lol on the 25hours.. it looks pretty damn amazing, at least.

You certainly get lucky with drops..

Does expert mode have an increased drop rate or something? (I'm not on PC yet. Still a couple months away)

Hi folks! Better late than never I hope, but I just uploaded my 15th episode. Small milestones are still milestones! =)

You certainly get lucky with drops..

Does expert mode have an increased drop rate or something? (I'm not on PC yet. Still a couple months away)
On some items yes, they drop more frequently on Expert mode, but most of them are the same. I have just been getting stupidly lucky.

Man.. been close to a month since the last one.
Still wondering what happens next
Man, I'm really sorry for the delay. Whenever things come up in my life, something as time-consuming as this series is usually the first to be put on the back burner. I'm fully back now, and I intend to produce more episodes for the foreseeable future. I figured I'd bump this thread to let you know it's been updated at last.

Hi folks! Better late than never I hope, but I just uploaded my 15th episode. Small milestones are still milestones! =)

On some items yes, they drop more frequently on Expert mode, but most of them are the same. I have just been getting stupidly lucky.

Man, I'm really sorry for the delay. Whenever things come up in my life, something as time-consuming as this series is usually the first to be put on the back burner. I'm fully back now, and I intend to produce more episodes for the foreseeable future. I figured I'd bump this thread to let you know it's been updated at last.
Really glad to see you're back. Love the last episode. Drop rates are for other people indeed.

Episode 20! Milestones may be arbitrary but I like them anyway.

The Great Summoner Challenge, Ep. 16: Strange days. The sun is missing, the rain is crimson, and the world is distracting us with shiny items. We don't know if the dungeon reborn will propel us to adventure or become our tomb. All we know for sure is: Drop rates are for other people!

View on YouTube:
The Great Summoner Challenge, Ep. 17: The ocean holds many secrets. Some of them are green. Before we can go fishing, however, we need to make homes for the new NPCs, and we have some unfinished - and distinctly pumpkin-flavored - business to attend to.

View on YouTube:
The Great Summoner Challenge, Ep. 18: The trophy room looks rather empty. I think we should do something about that... right after I play some Super Mario Sunshine.

View on YouTube:
The Great Summoner Challenge, Ep. 19: As the days go by we come ever closer to our final goal. Three more events must be conquered, but the Temple guardian stands in our way. I think I'll have to throw some sharks at it.

View on YouTube:
The Great Summoner Challenge, Ep. 20: We embark upon the ultimate item hunt to prepare for the endgame. Many treasure chests are opened, many creatures of the night are slain. And then Mecha Santa shows up. That's new.

View on YouTube:

This series has been a staggering amount of work to edit and produce. Even so, I know I'll miss it when it's done. Only a few more episodes to go and I can call it a wrap. Cheers everyone, and thanks to all of my viewers for staying with me this far. <3

This is a nice story, i've been watching it from the start. Keep up the good work! And good luck on the next episodes!

I was just coming on here to tell you that I had watched 16 and 17 yesterday, then 18 and 19 today, and when I got to the end of 19, 20 was already there and it was like my birthday. :merchantsmile:

Your fights with the Duke look so peaceful and serene. Swish there, dodge that, like a ballet. Meanwhile my flailing, fumbling, and splatting is quite the opposite.

The paint in the Witch Doctor's house was very important, I agree.

I do hope that after a bit of a break you'll consider doing another series. I know you mentioned in one of the YT comments that it's a tremendous amount of work when each video only gets 200 views, and I understand that. I have a feeling that your style and gameplay will catch on big when enough eyes see it though, so I hope you'll consider. I have enjoyed this series enormously and have looked forward to each episode, thanks for sharing it with us.

And poor Nurse Emma...

Love this series, man. Hoping your hiatus ends soon. You've always returned in the past, and you're so close!

I keep checking as well Horus. I hope Cane is doing well. However long it takes we'll be here. ~:)

Terraria: The Great Summoner Challenge! Ep 22: All Good Things

Click here for the full playlist

WSIngSX.png

Hiatus has ended. Hello everyone.

It's been a long journey, this series of mine. I started working on it because I wanted to practice editing, and because I thought YouTube needed an actually concluded Summoner run. I certainly did one, and now I'm about to do the other.

It was just... a painful amount of work. So much effort went into the editing, making sure the music and the pacing and everything else was well made. Blood, sweat, and tears for what barely amounted to 300 unique views per episode. Even in the years since its release it has hardly picked up a following. If you're wondering why I took so many breaks, that was it. Spending all your free time for a week so that a few hundred people can enjoy yet another video game series in an ocean of such? It's hard to convince yourself it's a worthwhile project.

Even so, I spent a lot of time on the final episode. I wanted to give the series a nice sendoff, both as closure for myself and as a hopefully satisfying conclusion to those of you who were watching all this time.

Oh, but for the record, reading the replies here, wishing me well personally and still being excited for the series? That does make a lot of the work worthwhile.

Thank you, all of you, for watching and commenting.

Now to find something else to do!

Cane

P.S. If you're new to the series, the first couple of episodes aren't very good. The editing and the pacing gets good around episode 3, and improves with time. =)

Back
Top Bottom