Console The Year Ahead & The Community "Takes Control"

I feel as if the consoles should have an option to assign your own buttons to keys, as well as the option to have a quick heal too. (I would most likely prefer to use the D-Pad on Xbox as the quick buff, mana, and light sources, so that's why I think that there should be the option to be able to customize it on your own). I would also like to see the option to change the zoom on your character in the setting because it's terribly hard to fight the bosses when you can't see them opposed to PC Terraria. Those are just my ideas. You don't have to add them to the features, just I know that it's something that I would definitely use. Thanks for reading 505!

Right, I just have one question.

Given that releasing 1.2.4 before 1.2.3 is present in it's entirety is going to result in "all sorts of problems", how is releasing the rest of 1.2.3 with 1.2.4 going to avoid that issue?

I mean, it sounded like you were going to ask us whether we wanted everything all at once or if we (the community) would be happy if you staggered the release to keep bugs and glitches to a minimum. Yet, you asked no such question, so I'm puzzled by your proposed update release ideas is all.

Colour me worried.

Last edited:
Right, I just have one question.

Given that releasing 1.2.4 before 1.2.3 is present in it's entirety is going to result in "all sorts of problems", how is releasing the rest of 1.2.3 with 1.2.4 going to avoid that issue?

I mean, it sounded like you were going to ask us whether we wanted everything all at once or if we (the community) would be happy if you staggered the release the keep bugs and glitches to a minimum. Yet, you asked no such question, so I'm puzzled by your proposed update release ideas is all.

Colour me worried.

8075f90971c9ee91ee1ee46f0bc7acd7.jpg

@Sssjim7 : That's the issue, I don't trust them. I can't play with my friend since 1.2.3 and he has given up on the game as a consequence of that.

We don't need MORE problems! @_@

Action Xbox
Use Held Item/Attack RT
Activate Environment Object B
Inventory Y
Jump L3 A or L3
Quick Buff X
Left-Right-Up-Down Movement D-Pad
Hotbar Selection LB+RB
Map Back
Grapple LT
Smart Cursor Toggle Click Right Thumbstick
Use Bound Item Left Thumbstick
:happy::dryadhappy::merchanthappy::nursehappy:~:happy:`:happy:

Like I said in my last post keep L1 as the alternative jump button and L3 as the alternative grapple button it works much better this way.

I can't wait but I have one suggestion, could you add the ability to use items such as potions from the inventory screen instead of having to place it in the hotbar?

Controls are great, no applicable improvements come to mind. Just would like to be able to use the blizzard staff (or any similar items) all over the screen like in pc. But that's it, nothing else comes to mind. I like the good news though. ;)

Would like to say thank you for the update on what is going on with the Console version of Terraria.

Have been sitting here for a little while working out what some people might like for a button layout. I put some thought into this and Only thing I can think of would be swapping two buttons around. And that would be just the Inventory and quick buff. Everything else is fine for me to be honest.

Action | Playstation | Xbox
Use Held Item/Attack|R1|RT
Activate Environment Object|O|B
Inventory| □|X
Jump| X or L3|A or L3
Quick Buff|△|Y
Left-Right-Up-Down Movement|Left Thumbstick|Left Thumbstick
Hotbar Selection|L2+R2|LB+RB
Map|Select|Back
Grapple|L1|LT
Smart Cursor Toggle|R3|Click Right Thumbstick
Use Bound Item|D-Pad|D-Pad
Thank you @Nike Leon For the coding for the map thing

OMG I HAD A THEORY THAT THIS WOULD COMEOUT ON NOVEMBER THIRD due to a sneakly placed hint 505 if you start up the game and dont press any thing on the press options start select ect. in the bottom right corner theres a thing that says ADD120150511 break it down and you get ADD 1 2015 05 11 the highly likely release for terraria 1.2.4 again VERY sneakly placed hint 505
[DOUBLEPOST=1438953827,1438953682][/DOUBLEPOST]are these gonna be alternatives or do you HAVE TO pls i dont want to fight the frost moon with O as grapple

Because then you would have a complete codebase through 1.2.4 instead of missing a bunch of stuff before, some of which could intertwine with the later things in 1.2.4 and thus cause issues? That is how I read it at least.

ADD120150511 break it down and you get ADD 1 2015 05 11 the highly likely release for terraria 1.2.4 again VERY sneakly placed hint 505

Pretty sure that Additions came out in May/June....so you may be correct on the reference, but the wrong update and month-day swap. ;)

are these gonna be alternatives or do you HAVE TO pls i dont want to fight the frost moon with O as grapple

I think the idea here is to give you more choices, not fewer. :)

OMG I HAD A THEORY THAT THIS WOULD COMEOUT ON NOVEMBER THIRD due to a sneakly placed hint 505 if you start up the game and dont press any thing on the press options start select ect. in the bottom right corner theres a thing that says ADD120150511 break it down and you get ADD 1 2015 05 11 the highly likely release for terraria 1.2.4 again VERY sneakly placed hint 505
[DOUBLEPOST=1438953827,1438953682][/DOUBLEPOST]are these gonna be alternatives or do you HAVE TO pls i dont want to fight the frost moon with O as grapple

sorry, but I'm sure that was already confirmed to be the codename of the additions update build. ADDitions 1, 2015 may 11th. We'll get this next update soon enough (I know, soon enough is not soon enough sometimes, especially when gemspark is involved. lol)

I have some ideas for Nintendo controls I'd like to post here.
Terraria Wii U controls:

Wii U GamePad
A: Drop item
B: Jump
X: Inventory
Y: Buff all
Start: Pause Game
Select: Display Map and Characters
D-Pad: Quick Items
L-Stick: Move character/targeting reticle
L-Stick Button: Jump
R-Stick: Move targeting reticle
R-Stick Button: Switch to fine targeting mode
L: Move left on hotbar
R: Move right on hotbar
ZL: Activate mechanism/grapple
ZR: Use item
Touch screen: Switch between aim targeting reticle, map, and inventory

Wii U Pro Controller: Same as GamePad but without touch screen

Wii Classic Controller:
X: Inventory
Y: Grapple/Activate mechanism
Start: Pause
Select: Map/characters
D-Pad: Quick items on all except right and down. Right activates all buffs, down switches to fine targeting
L-Stick: Move character/ targeting reticle
R-Stick: Move targeting reticle
L: Jump
R: Use item
ZL: Move left on hotbar
ZR: Move right on hotbar

Wii Remote with nunchuck:
A: Inventory
B: Grapple/Activate mechanism
Select: Map/Characters
D-Pad Left: Move left on hotbar
D-Pad Right: Move right on hotbar
D-Pad Up: Quick item
D-Pad Down: Switch to fine targeting
1: Drop item
2: All buffs
(Optional) Shake Wii Remote: Use item
C: Jump
Z: Use item
Nunchuck stick: Move character/targeting reticle
(Optional) Point Wii Remote at screen: Move targeting reticle

GameCube Controller with Adapter:
A: Jump
B: Activate mechanism/grapple
X: Drop item
Y: Inventory
D-Pad all directions excepting right: Quick item
D-Pad Right: Quick buff
L-Stick: Move character/targeting reticle
C-Stick: Move targeting reticle
L (Half pressed): Jump
L (Fully pressed): Move left on hotbar
R (Half pressed): Use item
R (Fully pressed): Move right on hotbar
Z: Switch to fine targeting mode

Terraria 3DS Controls

3DS:
X: Activate mechanism/grapple
Y: Use item
Select: Show players
D-Pad all except right: Quick item
D-Pad Right: Quick buff
Circle pad: Move character
L: Move left on hotbar
R: Move right on hotbar
Touch screen: Switch between aim targeting reticle, map, and inventory

New 3DS Exclusive Options:
ZL: Move left on hotbar
ZR: Move right on hotbar
L: Activate mechanism/grapple
R: Use item
C-Stick: Move targeting reticle

funny, i was just thinking to myself that it'd be awesome if the remainder of 1.2.3 and all of 1.2.4 were released together... and i just saw this news after thinking about that. :dryadtongue:

afraid i can't really suggest any alternate controls, though, cause i find the current controls perfectly comfortable for myself, even just thinking of changing them makes me feel uncomfortable.

the default controls, with the alternate jump/grapple option selected so jump is L1 and grapple is L3 on ps3 is the best choice for me.

but i am really looking forward to the next update now, hopefully everything goes well. :dryadgrin:

Back
Top Bottom