Terraria: Otherworld This is the End: Otherworld Development Cancelled

My one question is:
Why wasn't it released as it was?

The next part of the reply should only apply to the matter at hand if the game was in a playable state, if the game wasn't in a playable state, then don't bother with the rest of the reply.

I understand that the project was discontinued and I am fully ok with that, but from the available teasers, it was shown that the game was (presumably), in a playable state, if so, even if the project was discontinued, you could just have very well release that version as a "one-off" such as to not let literally everything go to waste, like, even release it for a small price or something, I would be willing to spend 5 bucks on an unfinished game because it looked like there was real effort put into it, and not just that but to experience what Terraria:Otherworld could have been.

As mentioned earlier, I am ok with the game being cancelled and even if I wasn't ok with it it wouldn't have mattered because I'm literally just one person but I think it would have been great to release the game as it was and just call it a day.

By the way, I created a Terraria forum account just to say my thoughts on this.

My one question is:

The next part of the reply should only apply to the matter at hand if the game was in a playable state, if the game wasn't in a playable state, then don't bother with the rest of the reply.

I understand that the project was discontinued and I am fully ok with that, but from the available teasers, it was shown that the game was (presumably), in a playable state, if so, even if the project was discontinued, you could just have very well release that version as a "one-off" such as to not let literally everything go to waste, like, even release it for a small price or something, I would be willing to spend 5 bucks on an unfinished game because it looked like there was real effort put into it, and not just that but to experience what Terraria:Otherworld could have been.

As mentioned earlier, I am ok with the game being cancelled and even if I wasn't ok with it it wouldn't have mattered because I'm literally just one person but I think it would have been great to release the game as it was and just call it a day.

I would guess they see it as a professional embarrassment and thus want to sever ties with the project completely. However I do wish they would have released it, and I remain adamant that Re-Logic should give the composers the green light for an official aural release.

My one question is:

It probably wasn't up to them entirely. It's likely the contract between them and the Otherworld developers wouldn't allow them to release an unfinished product, even if they wanted to, and I can certainly say they wouldn't want to. It would put their credibility into a shakey area, because intentionally releasing an unfinished product, even if you make it well-known that it's unfinished, is less than ideal for your image among non-hardcore fans. It's also possible the game wasn't actually in a playable state, and they couldn't justify the resources and time to get it there for even a small release. As the devs themselves said, they don't want to release something that doesn't meet their quality standards.

I would guess they see it as a professional embarrassment and thus want to sever ties with the project completely. However I do wish they would have released it, and I remain adamant that Re-Logic should give the composers the green light for an official aural release.
I wouldn't go so far as to say a professional embarassment. If anything, the way they handled it is immensely professional.
I do wish we had gotten more info, and the soundtrack definitely.
In an ideal world, if they had released all the assets, maybe even the engine it was being developed on, that would have been awesome; imagine if the Terraria modding community made their own game on that engine or something. But ah, that's the kind of thing that just wouldn't happen due to how contracts and copyright and Annoying Legal Technicality Stuff works.

My one question is:

I asked something similar to this once they first announced this and from what I understand they didn’t want to release any of their creative assets as they could be used in future projects.

What we saw sort of suggests a functional game, but definitely doesn't necessarily mean there was one. For all we know there were huge game-breaking bugs, large swaths of content missing, some old content not fully transitioned to work with new content, untested potential security threats, gaps in progression, no method of making characters or world's without the design software, and many, many other possible problems.

When you see a gameplay trailer, sometimes what you're seeing is all there is of an area: enemies that were spawned in manually with no spawn rates, items that don't drop just stuck in a character's inventory, and so forth. Hell, Starbound had 'screenshots' of the game with features that never even STARTED bring developed, but looked functional from the images.

It may be terminated, seeing them focus on Mobile is more than enough for me. its been ages since the last update. Although removing Ocram in the mobile version is still unexpectable, I am still interested what will the future bring

I forgive you ^^ because after all you continue to evolve terraria! i love this x3

can not wait to see what terraria has yet to offer! ;3

So sad for the new but my hope is in terraria otherworld I will not lose my hope maybe future the other world will be releasere:sigh:

Respect for the official statement seems like only a few people are willing to do so these days. Sad to see Terraria Other World go but if you learned from all this and have some ideas you can still use then it's all good.

Im really hoping that someday they'll reveal that they've been working on another "spin-off" Terraria in secret. I've many hours invested into Terraria, but I feel it lacks.. continuity. Lately I feel all I do in Terraria is build a base, get gear, farm bosses, move on to next boss, get better gear and so on and so forth untill the moon lord and then all over again. It lacks something truly "new".

hello guys i'm a player of terraria but i found on steam a new that says terraria otherworlds as be canceled. I was sad a this moment because a was prepare for this game. i know the game was hard to finish but this game was a high quality game from re-logic and i want to play this game. i know you have other game to edit but not because you have other game you need to cancel it. make a team of developer on this game a make other team of dev on other game. this message want to say don't and never give up guys, he always has a way to continue. read this message pls :)

I'm still really sad this was canceled, and i just wish we had a small playable demo, just to have a feel of what it would've been, or give the source code to a team of modders, or just make it public. It's just so weird to have all this work done, cancel the game and just not give out a free little demo.

I'm still really sad this was canceled, and i just wish we had a small playable demo, just to have a feel of what it would've been, or give the source code to a team of modders, or just make it public. It's just so weird to have all this work done, cancel the game and just not give out a free little demo.
TBH I agree. I'd like to see a small release even if it's just of a prototype. Would be nice to see and play.

Back
Top Bottom