Story A Magnificent Origin Story

Hello all you magnificent people, Derpo here. I've decided to try my hand at writing, the only other fictional "writing" I ever did was for a screenshot LP back on TO. It was mediocre at best, hopefully I've improved since then.

This will be an origin story. An origin story for two of my OCs, Derpo and Desmond. I have two chapters so far, and I'll be adding more as I go.
Derpo sat in his swamp with a glum expression. Or as close to a glum expression as a Mudkip could get. The reason for this glum expression, was that Derpo was different from other Mudkips, he could understand human speech. And not understand like any old house pet could, he really understood every word a human said. The problem was, he had no way of communicating with humans, and every time he tried to explain that he could understand them, they simply said, "Aww, he's so cute." And promptly walked away. While Derpo's brethren were content to play around in the mud, Derpo felt he was destined for bigger things, and was constantly attempting to think of a way to communicate with humans.

As Derpo sat in the mud, an adventurer wandered his way into the swamp. This adventurer, if he could even be called that, was named Desmond. Desmond was a fairly regular Terrarian, the only odd thing about him was that he had never ventured outside of the Purity. Most thought this was simply because he didn't want to, and was perfectly fine with a peaceful life in the Purity. The truth was that Desmond wished to explore the world like the other Terrarians, but he lacked the equipment and courage to set foot outside the forests. He was always on the look out for a companion to aid him.

As Desmond wandered through the swamp, Derpo caught sight of him. It had been a while since a human had come though his swamp, so Derpo decided to try his luck and see if this human was as dense as the rest. He got up and sprinted towards the man, stopping suddenly in front of him. "Mud mud kip mud, kip mud kip!" Derpo said to Desmond. Desmond crouched down and pet Derpo. "Hey little guy, you trying to tell me something?" Derpo nodded sharply, but Desmond mistook it for a sneeze. "Mud kip, kip mud mud." Derpo tried to explain that he could understand him. "You know what, I've been looking for a friend for a while now, and you seem to like me, would you like to come home with me?" Derpo nodded frantically. Then Desmond realized something, the little mudkip hadn't sneezed at all, he had been nodding. "Whoa whoa whoa, wait. You can understand what I'm saying?" Again, Derpo nodded frantically. Desmond sat down, stunned at this revelation. "Can all Mudkips understand human speech?" Derpo shook his head. "So you're special." Desmond thought for a second, maybe this Mudkip could somehow help him. "Well, if you're going to come home with me, you'll need a name." He sat silent for a moment. "How about Bernard?" Derpo stuck out his tongue. "Okay, Bernard is out...hmm...how about something silly, like, uh...Derpo!" Derpo thought this was a great idea, seeing as this was what he had already decided to call himself. "Alright, it's decided. Now, if you're going to be my companion, we'll need a way for you to communicate with me. I have a friend who might be able to help with that." So Desmond picked up Derpo, placed him on his shoulder, and started walking back to his village.

"Hey! Negurk! I gotta job for ya!" The Goblin hobbled out of the hut Desmond had made for him. "Yes, Mister Desmond?" "I need a way to communicate with this Mudkip I found." Said Desmond, gesturing towards Derpo. "Why in the name of the light spirits would you want to talk to a Mudkip?" Asked the bemused goblin. "Well, I think this Mudkip is special. It says it can understand me, or rather, it nodded when I asked if it could understand me." "Hmph, that's hardly conclusive evidence," Mumbled the goblin. "But, I have nothing better to do, so why not. Come on in." They walked the short distance to Negurk's lab. " I've been working on making chunks of Sunplate into a metal for use in armor and weapons. So far I've been unsuccessful, the metal I've created looks rather nice and conducts electricity very well, but it's far too brittle to be used effectively." "Why is this relevant?" Inquired Desmond. "Well, the fact that it conducts electricity means that I could add various technological pieces to armor and weapons without the need of wiring. I'm thinking I may be able to make a suit of armor with a universal translator in it, allowing anyone wearing the armor to speak in any language they wished." "Alright, but you said it yourself, the metal is too brittle for use in armor." "Well hold on now, I may have a way around that. With the use of a gem, I could create an electrical field around the suit that would not only hold it together, but would also deflect most attempts to damage it. I can't be just any gem though, it has to be a ruby." "And why is that?" Asked Desmond. As far as he knew, all the gems in the land of Terraria had the same basic ability, the only difference was the color. "Well, I suppose any gem would technically work, but a ruby would look the best." Admitted Negurk. "So what do you need me to do?" Asked Desmond. "I need you to go down underground and find me a ruby." Desmond paled. He had never been underground before, all the stories he had heard of skeletons and bats and some guy named Tim had kept him frightened since he was a child. "Y-you want me to go underground?" "Not without the proper gear of course." Replied Negurk. "The last adventurer who came through here left some armor behind. It's all been painted a strange glowing blue, I hope you don't mind."

Negurk led Desmond to a house that he'd never seen before, and they went inside. In the front hall was an armor stand, and on the stand was the coolest set of armor Desmond had ever seen, he wasted no time putting it on. "Alright, I'm ready to go!"
Desmond Point.png

"No you're not, you don't have a weapon yet. Take this, it's an experimental sword made from Thundurem, the metal I've been working on. It uses the same electrical field to hold it together that I plan on using for the armor." "But wait, if you're already using a ruby for the sword, can't you just take it out and put it into the armor?" Wondered Desmond. "Well, yes, but if I did that, the sword would fall apart, and I don't have enough metal to make another." Explained Negurk. "Well, alright then, I'll be back soon." Desmond waved as he ran off to the nearest mine.

So, what d'ya think?

Other than some structuring issues, you need to make Chapter Two's large segment into individual paragraphs, this is actually really good. Didn't know you were interested in literature at all, Derpo.

Other than some structuring issues, you need to make Chapter Two's large segment into individual paragraphs, this is actually really good. Didn't know you were interested in literature at all, Derpo.
That means a lot coming from you. :happy:

I actually really like to read, I just haven't had anything to write about until now. I'll work on splitting the second chapter up soon.

If you ever need a bit of help, I can always aid you mid-writing. Whenever doing team works, I like to use Google Documents, which allows multiple users to connect to a single document and write together live.

If you are OK on your own, I'll leave you to it.

If you ever need a bit of help, I can always aid you mid-writing. Whenever doing team works, I like to use Google Documents, which allows multiple users to connect to a single document and write together live.

If you are OK on your own, I'll leave you to it.
Actually, that'd be great. I have experience using google docs (I'm home schooled, so all of my writing projects were made in google docs), so I all need is your e-mail so I can share the document with you.

Back
Top Bottom