NPCs & Enemies Merchant Merchandise - Improvements and Changes

SzGamer227

Spazmatism
A handful of my ideas to improve the Merchant's wares and make him a more valuable NPC.
He's one of the first NPCs you ever come across, so why not make him cooler for longer? :merchanthappy:

Equipment

Tin_Pickaxe.png
Tin_Axe.png

Tin instead of Copper
From the very moment you enter the game, the Copper Axe and Pickaxe he sells is already virtually worthless, and it can be pretty much assumed that you will never buy it. :merchantindifferent: Ever. That's why I propose that the Merchant should sell Tin instead: It's almost as crappy, but at least it's useful on the occasion that the Merchant spawns before you surpass the Tin tier. :merchantsmile:

Iron_Pickaxe.png
Iron_Axe.png

Iron at higher levels
Tin would get old pretty quickly, though. What about having him instead sell Iron equipment after smashing a Shadow Orb or a Crimson Heart? :merchantsmile:

Iron_Broadsword.png
Tin_Pickaxe.png
Lead_Hammer.png

Randomized equipment
Variety is the spice of life! :merchanthappy: Why not mix up the Merchant's inventory? Each day, the Merchant will sell not just a Pickaxe and an Axe, but instead offer a random selection of a Bow, Broadsword, Pickaxe, Axe, and Hammer, selling any three of those items.

Why not spice it up even more? Each day, the Merchant will have a 50% chance to sell one item that is a slightly higher tier, so one item might be Iron instead of Tin or Lead instead of Iron. But wait, there's more! He would also have a 10% chance each day to sell a full set of armor instead of tools and weapons. Then that "perfectly ventilated armor" quote would make sense!:merchantwink:

index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php

Steel equipment
What if we gave the Merchant his very own unique set of equipment? That's right! :merchantnaughty: After killing either the Eater of Worlds or the Brain of Cthulhu, the Merchant will sell bright, shiny, ultra-tough Steel equipment! The armor is more resilient than Shadow and Crimson armor, but you don't get any of the cool bonuses. (The Merchant would always sell Steel, since there isn't a true tier upgrade.) :merchantwhat: Sure, some of it would get outclassed by Demonite and Crimtane, but now you have the option to go with Steel instead of boss-grinding your way to the next tier.

Details:
  • Steel equipment would have a value equivalent to that of Gold's.
  • Steel armor would have 6, 7 and 5 defense, with a +4 defense bonus (22 defense total).
  • Steel tools and weapons are slower than Platinum, but do more damage overall. (Think Crimtane vs. Demonite.)
  • Tools would mine up blocks faster than Platinum but slower than Demonite.
  • The Steel Pickaxe would have 60% power, letting it mine materials like Hellstone.
index.php

Steel Longsword
Damage: 19
Use Time: 23 (2.6 uses/second)

index.php

Steel Longbow
Damage: 17
Use Time: 30 (2 uses/second)

index.php

Steel Battleaxe
Damage: 17
Use Time: 27 (2.2 uses/second)
Axe Power: 70%

index.php

Steel Pickaxe
Damage: 8
Use Time: 20 (3 uses/second)
Pickaxe Power: 60% (Hellstone)

index.php

Steel Hammer
Damage: 11
Use Time:
Hammer Power: 60%

Here's a list of equipment prices, based on their sell value.
Tier 1 (Tin)
Tin_Bow.png
Tin Bow - 5 silver, 25 copper.
Tin_Hammer.png
Tin Hammer/Axe - 6 silver.
Tin_Broadsword.png
Tin Broadsword - 6 silver, 75 copper.
Tin_Pickaxe.png
Tin Pickaxe - 7 silver, 50 copper.
Tin_Helmet.png
Tin Helmet - 18 silver, 75 copper.
Tin_Chainmail.png
Tin Chainmail - 15 silver.
Tin_Greaves.png
Tin Greaves - 11 silver, 25 copper.
Tier 2 (Iron)
Iron_Bow.png
Iron Bow - 14 silver.
Iron_Hammer.png
Iron Hammer/Axe - 16 silver.
Iron_Broadsword.png
Iron Broadsword - 18 silver.
Iron_Pickaxe.png
Iron Pickaxe - 20 silver.
Iron_Helmet.png
Iron Helmet - 50 silver.
Iron_Chainmail.png
Iron Chainmail - 50 silver.
Iron_Greaves.png
Iron Greaves - 30 silver.
Tier 3 (Lead)
Lead_Bow.png
Lead Bow - 21 silver.
Lead_Hammer.png
Lead Hammer/Axe - 24 silver.
Lead_Broadsword.png
Lead Broadsword - 27 silver.
Lead_Pickaxe.png
Lead Pickaxe - 30 silver.
Lead_Helmet.png
Lead Helmet - 75 silver.
Lead_Chainmail.png
Lead Chainmail - 60 silver.
Lead_Greaves.png
Lead Greaves - 45 silver.
Steel Tier
index.php
Steel Longbow - 70 silver.
index.php
Steel Hammer/Battleaxe - 80 silver.
index.php
Steel Longsword - 90 silver.
index.php
Steel Pickaxe -1 gold.
Steel Helmet - 2 gold, 50 silver.
Steel Chainmail - 2 gold.
Steel Greaves - 1 gold, 50 silver.

index.php
index.php
index.php

Duralium (or Durasteel) Equipment
This idea was thrown up in the air a few times. Essentially, it's another new Merchant-unique set of equipment that will be sold after the Wall of Flesh has been defeated and Hardmode is active. Compared to other Hardmode armors, it's relatively basic and provides minimal (but class universal) bonuses, and provides a low amount of defense. Duralium tools and weapons are slightly weaker than Cobalt, but with more knockback. The Duralium Jackhammer is slightly better than the Pwnhammer. (Thanks go to Brutallama for lending me the sprites!)
index.php

Duralium Helmet
Defense: 9
+5% Critical strike chance.
Duralium Breastplate
Defense: 8
+7% Damage.
Duralium Greaves
Defense: 7
+10% Movement speed.
Set Bonus: Slowly regenerates health. (+1 HP/second)

index.php

Duralium Sword
Damage: 32
Use Time: 26 (2.3 uses/second)
Knockback: 4.5

index.php

Duralium Spear
Damage: 27
Use Time: 28 (2.1 uses/second)
Knockback: 4.5

index.php

Duralium Repeater
Damage: 30
Use Time: 25 (2.4 uses/second)
Knockback: 1.75

index.php

Duralium Chainsaw
Power: 70%
Damage: 20
Use Time: 24 (standard power tool speed)
Knockback: 3

index.php

Duralium Drill
Power: 110%
Damage: 8
Knockback: 0.25

index.php

Duralium Jackhammer
Power: 85%
Damage: 27
Knockback: 5

:merchantsigh:With that stuff out of the way, let's move on to simpler matters. :merchantsmile:

Other Merchandise

Healing_Potion.png

Better health potions at higher levels
Simply let him sell Healing Potions once Hardmode begins. You'll be moving on to Greater Healing Potions anyways. $-_- They would be sold for 10 silver apiece in addition to Lesser Healing Potions.

Shuriken.png
Throwing_Knife.png
index.php
index.php

Consumables
Shurikens are excellent when you're just starting out the game, but then they become kind of lame later on. :merchantrolleyes: That's why I propose that he starts selling Throwing Knives all the time (instead of just during Blood Moons) after killing BoC or EoW, and then sell Poisoned Knives during Blood Moons. Then, after killing the WoF, he could start selling Kunai.
index.php
index.php

Kunai
A Hardmode Throwing Knife.
30 Ranged damage
2 Penetration
16 Use Time (3.8 uses/second)
50% Recovery rate

Poisoned Knives would sell for 60 copper apiece. Kunai would sell for 1 Silver.

Iron_Anvil.png
Lead_Anvil.png

Iron or Lead Anvil
On worlds with Iron, he'll sell an Iron Anvil, and on worlds with Lead, he'll sell Lead ones. Easy as that. :merchanttongue:

Bottle.png

Bottles
Suggested by Baconfry. Why not let him sell Bottles? Save the Deserts! :merchantpassionate: Bottles would sell for 20 copper apiece.

yellow-flare-png.126211
green-flare-png.126213

Yellow and Green Flares
Why not? To reduce inventory space, make him sell a random selection of any 2 colors each day.

index.php

Novice Bait (Suggested in another thread)
A basic go-to bait with 5% power. Sold for 1 silver apiece.

Candy_Corn.png

Candy Corn
Would become edible (click this link for more details) and sold by the Merchant at night during a Full or New Moon. During the Halloween season, they would be sold all day long. :merchanthappy:

That's it for the suggestion. :merchantgrin: Feedback is appreciated, so please let me know what you think!

Last edited:
This would add so much to the current dull Merchant in the game. This would be incredible to have in the game and very nice. The concept is good and it solves the uselessness of the NPC.

Sounds like a good idea, a lot better than "that one guy who hangs around and gives you money for your massive heaps of vendor trash ".

One thing I could add is maybe some odd items here and there that he would sell once in a very long time, like on full moons, or similar to the Travelling Merchant.
I don't have any specific ideas though.

I love it! When i first got Terraria i tried so hard to get 50 silver and then when i got the merchant he sold either nothing of value or things that were very expensive that i did not want. One thing you forgot to add was the price.

Doesn't the merchant already sell anvils? I'm sure I saw one in his inventory, or am I going mad?

Perhaps somehow tie the bait to a character's fishing level, first sell novice bait, then after 25 fish quests journeyman bait and after 50 quests master bait (hur).

Doesn't the merchant already sell anvils? I'm sure I saw one in his inventory, or am I going mad?
Yes he does. The idea is to have him sell a Lead Anvil on Lead worlds instead of always selling Iron ones.
Perhaps somehow tie the bait to a character's fishing level, first sell novice bait, then after 25 fish quests journeyman bait and after 50 quests master bait (hur).
Maybe...

Oh yes please.
The merchant is dull and useless.
The only time he is used is to buy a piggy bank and a safe, and sell stuff early game.

Back
Top Bottom