One Terraria: An Introduction & Future Impacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well so anyone knows the release date yet?
they said they're still not done debugging. Kid Icarus was only finished 3 days before it was released on famicom disk. I know it's a whole different world now adays but stories like that make me hopeful that it can be released shortly after completion. I know they have to submit to MS, and Sony for this. It's just a story of amazing development, and production. So I'm not gonna worry yet that it's gonna be very late.

Got confirmation and permission to share that the 4 Console tracks will be remaining in Console. Tutorial will remain where it is in the Tutorial. The Space and Ocean themes will be "alternating" with the normal PC track, the same way Surface Daytime and Underground have alternating tracks.

Wanted to get it all cleared up and confirmed before I responded to this one, didn't want to jump the gun. :)
I recall suggesting this in the twitch chat, I'm glad the tracks stayed in.

If the Space and Ocean themes are going to alternate, does that mean we get separate music boxes for each track like the underground and Overworld tracks? If so would the console release themes be the "Alternates" or will the PC 1.2 tracks be the "Alternates"?

-If they are added I suggest to label the PC 1.2 tracks as "Alternate" because they came second to the original console themes like how the underground and overworld "Alternate" tracks came second to their original tracks :)

Last edited:
The PS4 controller has a touchpad that is used to quickly zoom in and out. Will that feature still be supported? I have noticed that the zoom levels on the PC, which require you to pause the game and enter a config menu, do not allow you to zoom out as far or zoom in as close as the PS4 allows.

Got confirmation and permission to share that the 4 Console tracks will be remaining in Console. Tutorial will remain where it is in the Tutorial. The Space and Ocean themes will be "alternating" with the normal PC track, the same way Surface Daytime and Underground have alternating tracks.

Wanted to get it all cleared up and confirmed before I responded to this one, didn't want to jump the gun. :)

Group ping for most of the interested parties (sorry if I missed anyone who asked about this, its a long thread)
@Techdude594 @MegaMage314 @Torque @thediploge @Bearfax @TheGreenTruffle @demvic1 @E-cat420
hm, hopefully these tracks will get used in the PC version, cuz of the whole "One Terraria" goal

One good thing is unless Pipeworks push the update to q4 we know the release date: the 26th of september
I wouldn't count on that. Even if they did somehow manage to complete the update today, it'd still have to go through Sony and Microsoft to be released on their respective consoles.

The PS4 controller has a touchpad that is used to quickly zoom in and out. Will that feature still be supported? I have noticed that the zoom levels on the PC, which require you to pause the game and enter a config menu, do not allow you to zoom out as far or zoom in as close as the PS4 allows.
Not likely to stay

Kiss another great console feature goodbye to this dreadful "update"

Haha well they don't know anything. And you'll be the one laughing when the update comes out
Red's wings won't be taken out and they won't be corrupting anything though. They'll still exist as developer wings they just won't have infinite flight. Noob isn't an entirely false accusation considering some people here actually believe having red's wings will corrupt your data. That's pretty noobish.

Afternoon Everybody

New to these forums so I'll start by saying Hi......."Hi"

Sorry to be that person that asks a question that has most likely been asked numerous times but what impact will this update have on my current game save, worlds and progress towards trophies on the PS4.

Should I stop playing now in anticipation that I will need to start from scratch?

Thank You

Why the 26th???
It's not the 26th, that is just pure speculation and hope from the other poster. No date has been given. i suspect they said the 26th, because they believe that updates can only roll out on Tuesdays. While that is normally when they roll out, there have been updates in the past that have come out on other days of the week.

Just relax everyone. The update will get here soon.

Afternoon Everybody

New to these forums so I'll start by saying Hi......."Hi"

Sorry to be that person that asks a question that has most likely been asked numerous times but what impact will this update have on my current game save, worlds and progress towards trophies on the PS4.

Should I stop playing now in anticipation that I will need to start from scratch?

Thank You
This update will cause you to have some items in your inventory substituted with other similar tier items. some armors will be vanity only now. Ocram will be deleted altogether, but you will keep his mask and trophy if you already have it. The world data shouldn't change any though, your home and other structures you've built will remain the same.

Mostly, this is going to enhance your Terraria experience with dozens of new items/armors/weapons/enemies/biomes/events etc...

If you haven't gotten too far in building your home base, I would cease building and wait for update to start fresh on a new map that has all of the new biomes and such in it.

I have a feeling that someone will make a mod adding all of this content back into the game anyway, so I'm not that worried. If not though, better start grinding those Ocram kills on my iPhone

My main concerns and questions for @Cenx with this kind of thing are thus (please forgive me if these have already been answered; I don't have time to sift through 500+ messages):

1). Consoles (and mobiles? I don't know about the latter) usually require long and difficult certification (cert) processes where you need to send your app and its data to Sony or Microsoft for them to certify that the thing is within their quality standards. This process can take WEEKS. PC does not have such cert processes, and neither does Steam. This means that we PC people will have to wait for Console Certs, not just ONE, but TWO certs before a version can be released?

2). Modding Support. Face it, everybody wants to see an official tModLoader. However, we also know that Sony and Microsoft are rather staunchly against mods on their consoles. Some bigtime developers like Bethesda might be able to negotiate a deal to get it to happen, but it is always limited and very difficult, even for a big company like them to get it to happen, much less a smaller one like Re-Logic. So at the very least, if we ever did get modding support, we'd still have a separate version for PC, or, are we going to simply go "nope, no modding, sorry." because we're now trying to keep PC and Console/Mobile together?

3). "____ Limitations!" I remember while playing Final Fantasy XI, an MMO that was available for PC and PS2. Hearing the term "PS2 Limitations!" being thrown at us every time we suggested various stuff was irritating to say the least. PCs are already more than powerful enough to run not only Terraria, but Terraria that's vastly expanded. Consoles and Mobile, however, do not seem to be anywhere near as capable as last I checked, the biggest worlds on Mobile ports are still smaller than the smallest PC worldsize. I would hope that we're not going to get the "____ Limitations!" answer whenever we suggest new features, QoL changes, or what-not. I don't want PC Terraria being held back because of Console/Mobile ports.

4). Multiplayer with Consoles can be blah. So what happens if me, with the beefy PC and 60+ FPS solid ends up on a server with someone playing, I don't know, whatever obsolete junk Sony and Microsoft are sticking in their PC wannabe consoles these days, and they're only getting 30 FPS or what-not and trying to aim with analog sticks, etc? I could potentially end up on multiplayer servers trying to kill bosses with somebody who is obviously experiencing framerate drops, lag, etc. Or, how about that auto-aim thing? Would Terraria PvPers end up trying to fight people who basically are using aimbot fulltime? I can't see that being very fair. So what do we do, enable aimbot for PC too? That would remove a good chunk of the fun of the game just because of console limitations, but yet it would be necessary to keep things fair I would think?

Will chime in and others (@Cenx) can correct any errors that I make. :)

This process can take WEEKS. PC does not have such cert processes, and neither does Steam. This means that we PC people will have to wait for Console Certs, not just ONE, but TWO certs before a version can be released?

There are no plans nor intent to impact PC releases or the pace of PC development. The RL team remains hard at work on 1.3.6, the PW team hard at work on the Console/Mobile versions. The intent is to give an "as similar as possible" experience - whether or not that translates into some of the other things people have speculated (like crossplay and the like) is still VERY much unclear. Regardless, PC development continues unabated and I cannot see us sitting around waiting on console cert - rather, this rewrite would/should greatly reduce the "gap" times (which have always been months and months)

So at the very least, if we ever did get modding support, we'd still have a separate version for PC, or, are we going to simply go "nope, no modding, sorry." because we're now trying to keep PC and Console/Mobile together?

See above. We aren't going to undercut PC or suddenly abandon mods. This is about making Console and Mobile better, making them right, making things more streamlined and faster to come to those guys. It is not about making sweeping changes to PC... or really any changes at this point.

I would hope that we're not going to get the "____ Limitations!" answer whenever we suggest new features, QoL changes, or what-not. I don't want PC Terraria being held back because of Console/Mobile ports.

Again, see above. I imagine mobile will still have limitations (hopefully at least supporting "PC Small" worlds). There are no such limitations in regards to worldsize that I am aware of for the current console build. Sure, mobile and console hardware will always trail PC - as it is fixed at a point in time and as such, is continually "falling behind" the "current tech" curve. That said, we have never used that "least common denominator" for PC before. Don't see us starting now.

Multiplayer with Consoles can be blah.

Again, WAY premature to assume that we will have crossplay. Is it a possibility, maybe, sometime in the future. Sure. That does not mean it will definitely happen (for the reasons you laid out above plus a hundred other logistical issues that we can all guess) nor that we are actively pursuing it at this time. IF that day comes, we will figure all of that stuff out - if doing so would make us sacrifice things we hold sacred to the vision of the core game, then I severely doubt that we would sacrifice that core for expediency.

TLDR; These changes are more about getting Console and Mobile up to standard than slowing down or otherwise limiting PC. Bringing everything up, not bringing something down in the interest of "equally meh" ;)

Hmm. Alright, then. I'll wait and see. Those were my concerns starting off, just looking a bit into the future. But I suppose, I should also look directly in front of my feet too instead of five miles down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom