Standalone Super Terraria World - MMORPG Style Mod - Server and Client Mod

How is the work on Super Terraria World doing?
It's going pretty well at the moment! So well that we plan to release a new SP Beta client tomorrow - v1.2a. Most of it is a bug fix release, but we are also including the new cave-in algorithm. So ore (copper-platinum) will generate on Sivania now!

I've been very busy in RL lately and thus the lower activity on the forums. Also we are spending sometime trying to get our new wiki up to speed. I will be trying to get all of our custom sprites loaded tonight! Then we just need to make sure we have pages for each one - We only have over 200 sprites :confused: haha!

Edit:
After we get the SP Beta content polished and all the bugs fixed, our next goal is to add some more content while updating our multiplayer support code. Once we have enough content to justify running multiplayer, we will kick off the MP Beta. :D

April 2nd 2015:
We are happy to announce that we have a new SP Beta Client out and ready for testing! This version has quite a lot of bug fixes and changes to current STW content as well as adding new content like cave-ins for the tunnels of Sivania! Please visit the download thread to get SP Beta v1.2a! View the changelog for a list of all the updates. Also please check out the Super Terraria World Wiki - we are adding new things everyday, and so can you! As always, feedback is vital to the success of this mod so please leave some. :)
Code:
    * ~NEW~ Cave-in algorithm implemented
          - Copper - Platinum ore can spawn in the tunnels of
            Sivania.

* ~NEW~ framework implemented for easy implementation
      of multi-use weapons (this caps 1 use projectiles
      aka boomerangs).

* Mushrooms now correctly spawn like in Terraria.

* Fixed a bug where boomerangs were able to be thrown
      more than once, before returning to the player.

* All torches and glowsticks will be depleted over
      time, not just normal torches.

* Added warning for glowsticks burning out (at
      3/4ths used).
    * No longer can you take items like torches, candles,
      bottles, books, etc... without enabling the single
      player beta option titled "Enable All Tile Mining".

* Normalized/fixed Chemistry recipes for health/mana
      potions:
          - Now all require bottled water
          - Now all make only one potion
          - New Recipes: (subject to change)
                - Lesser Health/Mana:
                      - 1 Bottled Water
                      - 3 Gel
                      - 1 Mushroom/Slimey Mushroom
                - Health/Mana:
                      - 2 Lesser Health/Mana Potions
                      - 1 Glowing Mushroom
                - Greater Health/Mana:
                      - 2 Health/Mana Potions
                      - 1 Crystal Shard
                - Super Health/Mana:
                      - 2 Greater Health/Mana Potions
                      - 1 Unicorn Horn

* Neutral critters no longer grant XP.

* Changed 100% drop rate of slimey mushrooms to 1 in
      3 after killing your first Mushroom Slime during
      the Mushroom Slime quest.

* Fixed sprites for Orichalcum and Adamantite Arrows.
    * Added Crimson Magic and Range Helmet Variants.
          - Grant 2% Damage bonus when worn

* Changed Crimson set effect to +5% lifesteal and +15%
      effectiveness on health regeneration effects.

* Changed Shadow set effect
        Melee: +15% melee speed increase
          All styles: 25% chance on hit to inflict Shadow Damage
                    debuff to the NPC.
          - Currently only implemented for Melee.
          - Shadow Damage Debuff damages NPC over time.

* Fixed Chemistry Buff Potion tooltips to accurately
      state the bonuses of each tier.
          - Buff Icons to be updated in a later release.

* Updates to Sivania Map:
          - Fixed two areas that were inaccessible.
          - Added text to all the signs.
          - Various cleanups.

Just wanted to announce that a new version of STW is available to download. This update includes a bunch of bug fixes. We'll hopefully have some new content for you all to play around with next week! :)

Code:
********************* Version 1.2.1a *********************
    * The Merchant NPC now sells Bottled Water instead of
      Empty Bottles.

* Fixed display logic on the Chemistry Unlock Menu
      for potion unlock points between levels 47-52.

* Fixed a bug that prevented XP gains for potions when
      you used your last ingredients.

* Fixed a bug that prevented you from leveling up when
      you gained the exact amount of XP required to level.
    * Fixed a bug that prevented you from gaining potion
      unlock points.

* Lowered the depth of where cave-ins can occur on
      Sivania.

* The Guide NPC will only offer the Quest option for
      Mushroom Picking when the active map is Sivania.

AucCzP9.gif

Hint: It's a tile

May 1st 2015:
We've got quite the fishy update for you this week! We've have done a lot of work to revamp the Fishing Skill in Super Terraria World and this update is just the start! We've updated the Underground Lake in Sivania. Near the lake you will find the Angler NPC newly added to Sivania - read the sign at the entrance of the Mountain Pass for directions to Bait Shop! We've replaced the Terraria Angler Quest system with the Angler Challenge System - more information on the wiki!
We've also started implementing our next quest: The Temple of Ra. While not yet released, it has been added to the Quest Log!

Code:
********************** Version 1.3a **********************
    * Remodeled the Underground Lake in Sivania:
      http://i.imgur.com/ugG5TK5.png

* ~NEW~ Fishing Challenges implemented! Visit the
            Angler at the underground Bait Shop in
            Sivania. Read the sign at the Mountain
            Underpass entrance for more information.

* Replaced Angler's Quests with Fishing Challenges.

* Revamped Fishing Skill for Adventure Mode.
      See the Wiki for more info:
      http://super-terraria-world.wikia.com/wiki/Fishing

* Journeyman Bait is now craftable with 3 Gel.
    * Added Shadow (Demonite) Range and Mage Helms:
      Shadow Range Set Bonus:
          10% faster missile speed/use speed
      Shadow Mage Set Bonus:
          10% reduced mana usage
          10% faster use speed on magic items

* Fixed a bug with Crismon Armor sets not requiring
      for set bonus.

* Fixed sprite for Obsidian Bar.

* Added Temple of Ra Quest to the Quest Log - Quest
      coming soon!

* Edited some Quest Log text for Frozen Mirror on the
      Wall.

Last edited:
This week we'll be releasing the Temple of Ra quest to STW!
I just wanted to share a couple of the new atmospherics tile sprites:
jrOfRNd.png

Of course there are a handful of others, but I don't want to give them all away ;).

May 5th 2015:
With the release this week we've included a bunch of bug fixes as well as the Temple of Ra Quest! Make your way to the Desert Outpost of Sivania and try your best to Survive the Desert Pyramid's traps if you dare. A high reward is waiting for those who survive.

Several new tiles, items, and game mechanics have been implemented for this quest. We really hope you enjoy it!

Code:
********************** Version 1.4a **********************
    * ~NEW~ Temple of Ra Quest has been added!
            Make your way to the Desert Outpost of Sivania
            and try your best to survive the Desert
            Pyramid's traps if you dare. A high reward is
            waiting for those who survive.

Several new tiles, items and game mechanics
            have been implement for this quest. We really
            hope you enjoy it. :)

* Fixed a bug with crafting XP giving WAY too much XP.

* Bombs and Dynamite no longer destroy tiles.

* Bombs and Dynamite damage reduced to 25 and 50.

* Renamed all new STW Guns to Pistols since they are.

* Updated Space Gun Sprite to match STW style Pistols.

* Renamed Space Gun to Space Phaser.

* Updated Musket Balls to be craftable with Copper/Tin.

* Shadow and Crimson armor sets should now work as
      intended.

* STW Fish tiers have been renamed:
          Old Name  -> New Name
          Small     -> Fry
          Big       -> Elder
          Huge      -> Ancient

* ~NEW~ STW Fish added:
            Elder DoubleCod
            Ancient DoubleCod
            Elder Hemopiranha
            Ancient Hemopiranha
            Frost Minnow Fry
            Elder Frost Minnow
            Ancient Frost Minnow

* Preloading projectiles to help with the lag caused
      when the first projectile in the game is fired.
      Still some lag - working on a fix for this.

* Fixed all surface signs - There text should properly
      be there now.

What is the singleplayer demo actually meant to demonstrate? The map transitioning, which I'd assumed was the main point of this mod, doesn't seem to be functional. I walked to the leftmost edge of the world, where the camera stopped scrolling halfway through a snow biome. The stat leveling is functional, for what it's worth, but the improvements gained through leveling are miniscule at best. I had to gain 20 levels in magic to earn another mana star at 5 points per five levels, and at level 27 or so I had only gained one extra point of damage on the wooden staff. Maybe the Goblin Tinkerer is to the east and we're meant to rely on reforges, but at that rate, the game is still reliant on the original gear-based progression. I feel like levels were added for the sake of saying they were, but made meaningless to counter imbalance through grinding.

If it's meant to be a demo of the world, like an adventure map or something, then there are a lot of places where you can get irreversibly stuck, even if you're good at platforming. The hall under the giant tree in the forest is a particularly bad offender, as you can just fall off a cliff that's six blocks high and find yourself trapped in a small room. Maybe you should still make it possible to place and break ropes, as you end up with hundreds of them you can't use for anything anyway. There are a lot of cool places to go and see, but not much reason to go and see them, because reaching them requires a lot of platforming with Terraria's basic mobility options, and because of the huge expanses of space between them, you lose tons of progress if you fall and die or get stuck.

I feel like the all-or-nothing approach to placement is a detriment overall, as you have to walk for two days to get from the mining village to the Guide's cabin, which has the only placed bottle I've found so far. The ability to place furniture for crafting would help a lot. Torches burning out after less than a minute also isn't particularly fun, especially considering you already have the drawback of having to hold or throw them instead of using a weapon, and that trees can't be replanted.

I'll try to address all of your points made Gearzein,

What is the singleplayer demo actually meant to demonstrate?
There are three main goals:
  1. Allow players to experience core STW gameplay features in a single player environment on your own generated maps.
  2. Allow players to Explore Work-In-Progress STW World features present in the official STW maps (Adventure Mode). The official STW maps are designed to create an immerse world that is quest and lore driven.
  3. Obtain feedback from you, the supporters of the mod, to help improve the overall outcome of the mod.
Point 3. is very important to us.

The map transitioning, which I'd assumed was the main point of this mod, doesn't seem to be functional. I walked to the leftmost edge of the world, where the camera stopped scrolling halfway through a snow biome.
The map transitioning is extremely important to STW, but Yes there is no map transitioning on the left edge of the world because we have not built that part of the world yet. We didn't block off the world so players could explorer more, but there really isn't much to the left of the Desert Pyramid really. I am actually REALLY saddened to hear that you think this isn't working because that means you didn't travel to the right side of the map where our new Viking NPC is and map transitioning does work. Here is a video demoing it:
and of course more information is here: http://super-terraria-world.wikia.com/wiki/Map_Transitioning

The stat leveling is functional, for what it's worth, but the improvements gained through leveling are miniscule at best. I had to gain 20 levels in magic to earn another mana star at 5 points per five levels, and at level 27 or so I had only gained one extra point of damage on the wooden staff.
Yes this is intentional to make you get new gear, at level 27 you should not be using a Wooden Staff - you should be using a Demonic Staff. I'll explain:
Every item has a range of -20% to +20% damage, with the "required level" being 100% damage. So at any given magic level the max damage a Wooden Staff can be is +20% of it's base damage. So let's use a Demonic Staff as an example now. A Demonic Staff is designed to be used at 25 Magic level. If you use the Demonic Staff when your level is 25 it's damage will be 25, but if you were to get the Demonic Staff at when you were level 1 in the Magic skill it's damage would be 21. By the time you get to level 50 the damage will be 29. So you can see the more base damage a weapon has the more damage range the weapon will have. This is because you are not forced to play any one class. So you could play only melee the whole entire time and be able to craft hardmode gear, it wouldn't be fun to then have to start training with a wooden staff - instead you can craft yourself a cobalt staff and use it when your magic level is 1, you will get a -20% damage bonus, but it's still pretty powerful and every level you get the damage will increase until you reach the +20% cap.

Maybe the Goblin Tinkerer is to the east and we're meant to rely on reforges, but at that rate, the game is still reliant on the original gear-based progression. I feel like levels were added for the sake of saying they were, but made meaningless to counter imbalance through grinding.
No, the Goblin Tinkerer should not be spawning.

If it's meant to be a demo of the world, like an adventure map or something, then there are a lot of places where you can get irreversibly stuck, even if you're good at platforming. The hall under the giant tree in the forest is a particularly bad offender, as you can just fall off a cliff that's six blocks high and find yourself trapped in a small room. Maybe you should still make it possible to place and break ropes, as you end up with hundreds of them you can't use for anything anyway. There are a lot of cool places to go and see, but not much reason to go and see them, because reaching them requires a lot of platforming with Terraria's basic mobility options, and because of the huge expanses of space between them, you lose tons of progress if you fall and die or get stuck.
Yes the maps are very work-in-progress, the best places to visit are the surface of course, and the Quest areas in Sivania and Odin's Fjord. This is why we have beta options added to the game under the Hero Menu - you can enable all tile placing and all item crafting to help yourself if you get stuck anywhere. Also with the newest quest added, The Temple of Ra, you can craft a cloud in a bottle to help yourself navigate better.
With that said, your feedback on the Sivania map does not go unnoticed, we will be using it to help improve it.

I feel like the all-or-nothing approach to placement is a detriment overall, as you have to walk for two days to get from the mining village to the Guide's cabin, which has the only placed bottle I've found so far.
Yes you will need to walk a bit more in STW and you are not the only one who has made this statement, so we are working on a couple Quick Travel features to help you get around to Points of Interest a bit faster.

The ability to place furniture for crafting would help a lot.
For this single player testing, we agree and that is why you just need to enable the option on the Hero Menu. For the long term though you won't need to because we will be providing all the furniture at good locations that are relatively easy to get to.

Torches burning out after less than a minute also isn't particularly fun, especially considering you already have the drawback of having to hold or throw them instead of using a weapon, and that trees can't be replanted.
Yes torches burn it out to make the game more realistic, but that is also why we gave a default light radius so you aren't completely blind in the dark if you are wearing a helmet (this will probably just change to always even if you aren't wearing a helmet). You should have plenty of wood though for torches since wood in STW is only really used for torches and arrows. Also we have plans to have trees regrow once chopped, currently working on this.

Now that I addressed your points I hope that you will understand things a bit more about STW. I also hope you try playing again especially the newest quest The Temple of Ra - you can start it in the Desert Pyramid of Sivania. Also take a trip to Odin's Fjord with the Viking's Boat on the Eastern Island of Sivania!

Last edited:
I'll try to address all of your points made Gearzein...

-response removed for length-

I appreciate your response, and understand that I probably missed a lot of the content, but I'd still contend that there's a problem. The options a starting player is presented with are an overland trip to a nearby town, which will ostensibly have NPCs and more quests, or platforming over the ocean into unknown territory. The first quest you can get sends you west, towards the mining village, and without mobility options heading east really only seems like a good way to get stuck at the bottom of the sea, waiting to slowly die. I didn't really even bother going east, because getting stuck in holes in the caves and mountain passes to the west and having to reload and start over made it hard to believe that doing the same thing over water would be any more fun or even doable. It's not great design-wise.

Maybe my main problem is that I found the tech interesting, but the demo is meant more to showcase construction and lore stuff that I'm not particularly interested in, in which case this disconnect can't really be resolved.

I appreciate your response, and understand that I probably missed a lot of the content, but I'd still contend that there's a problem. The options a starting player is presented with are an overland trip to a nearby town, which will ostensibly have NPCs and more quests, or platforming over the ocean into unknown territory. The first quest you can get sends you west, towards the mining village, and without mobility options heading east really only seems like a good way to get stuck at the bottom of the sea, waiting to slowly die. I didn't really even bother going east, because getting stuck in holes in the caves and mountain passes to the west and having to reload and start over made it hard to believe that doing the same thing over water would be any more fun or even doable. It's not great design-wise.
I would state that once the map is completely polished so you don't get stuck anymore that this is actually a great design. A lot of great RPGs have vast worlds for you to play around and discover things - Skyrim is huge for example.
You do not need very good Terraria mobility skills to head east and navigate the rocks to get to the island; it is designed exactly how we intended and you shouldn't really fail more than once if that. I haven't heard really from anyone that it is difficult to do actually, but again if it does prove to be too difficult we would want to look into changing that. We wouldn't know this though until we release it for players to test on.

Maybe my main problem is that I found the tech interesting, but the demo is meant more to showcase construction and lore stuff that I'm not particularly interested in, in which case this disconnect can't really be resolved.
I can suggest two things if you are still interested in trying out the mod:
  1. Copy over one of your Terraria characters that has full gear and use this character on Adventure Mode. This will allow you to try out the Quests/Lore/World Transition without any of the mobility problems you are facing.
  2. Start a new character in Sandbox Mode and enable all of the Beta options at that point you are essentially playing Terraria with the combat mechanics of STW which we think is a valuable scenario for testing.
Let me know what you think! :)

Just an FYI for everyone, there is a bug in STW 1.4a that is preventing cave-ins from happening. We are taking this opportunity to actually revamp cave-ins/ore spawning because we feel the current system is not meeting up to the standards we want.

Keep your eyes peeled for more updates coming soon!

Also to get around the no ore spawning we suggest playing a little in Sandbox mode to get up to Gold/Platinum gear as that gear should be sufficient for the current Adventure Mode.

Back
Top Bottom