What do you think is the WORST TOOL in Terraria?

Yeah, but with a 1% or so catch rate, assuming you have 50% bait power (which is almost impossible to start with, considering you get at best 30% or such until the Boss Rods), how many hours of fishing does it usually take, and how many hours of scrounging for worms and fireflies?

And of course getting TO the ocean near the beginning of the game is a crapshoot... usually crimson/corruption in the way, or worse, the Jungle can sometimes be nasty to navigate extremely early-game.
Don't forget time and weather influence fishing power. Fishing at dawn in the rain is worth +50% right there. And I'm sure I've never spent "hours" collecting bait. I normally just scoop up worms as I'm exploring, maybe break up some dirt clumps if I'm getting low. The only exception would be on firefly swarm nights, than I might actually put other tasks on hold for, at most, 8 minutes (i.e. the length of a night) to collect them.

Anyway, the Reaver Shark is the very strongest pre-hardmode pickaxe. Bone Pickaxe wins for dirt since it's faster, but nothing compares for stone or stronger materials until hardmode. So I'd say that's worth a little effort. Rockfish (a hammer) is also quite nice. It's strong enough to take out a wall in one blow and way faster than other early game options.

But I can totally understand if fishing just bores some people. I have a comparatively slow-and-steady play style though, so it suits me fine.

Don't forget time and weather influence fishing power. Fishing at dawn in the rain is worth +50% right there. And I'm sure I've never spent "hours" collecting bait. I normally just scoop up worms as I'm exploring, maybe break up some dirt clumps if I'm getting low. The only exception would be on firefly swarm nights, than I might actually put other tasks on hold for, at most, 8 minutes (i.e. the length of a night) to collect them.

Anyway, the Reaver Shark is the very strongest pre-hardmode pickaxe. Bone Pickaxe wins for dirt since it's faster, but nothing compares for stone or stronger materials until hardmode. So I'd say that's worth a little effort. Rockfish (a hammer) is also quite nice. It's strong enough to take out a wall in one blow and way faster than other early game options.

But I can totally understand if fishing just bores some people. I have a comparatively slow-and-steady play style though, so it suits me fine.

Hmmm. I suppose, if you were lucky enough to have it raining or something... lol.

But yeah, I usually just grab a Nightmare/Crimtane pickaxe with +speed on it and that is usually "good enough". Though I will admit I hate trying to get a Cobalt/Palladium pick because I'm forced to use that stupid Molten Pickaxe... really wish they'd improve the speed on that thing. How can they make the hamaxe so awesome, but the pickaxe so horrible?

Are we just going to ignore this thing?
Breathing_Reed.png

Are we just going to ignore this thing?
Breathing_Reed.png

Is that a breathing reed? Or a blowpipe? I'm not sure which.

If it is a breathing reed, I've found them useful for Pirate Map farming until I get a Flippers + Diving Helm. I activate the reed, hop in, wait until I'm all the way down to the bottom, and then I start killing junk. It extends my underwater time by several seconds, which means more killing and less going up and down. At least until I can get a helm to drop anyways.

On that note...

Why are Diving Helms a Helmet Slot Armor, instead of an accessory?

Diving Helm = Helmet Slot
Flippers = Accessory slot (but they are a type of shoes)

Diving Helmet + Flippers = Diving Gear

Diving Gear = Accessory slot?

That makes no sense. They should ALL be accessories.

There is one tool that has probably never been crafted by any player in Terraria, ever. It is the very definition of pointless. Possession of this tool will probably get you diagnosed with at least one psychological disorder.

Tin Pickaxe.

Off-topic: I crafted one of everything. Because I wanted one of everything. >:L I do have a psychological disorder; but that means little towards my choice.

YOU WANT TO FITE THOUGH BRINGING MY DISORDERS INTO THIS THOUGH? FINE THOUGH, YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE THOUGH? IS POINTLESS? BACON, BECAUSE THERE'S NO HUNGER SYSTEM!?!?!one
Mwahahahahaahahahahalolrektscrub

On topic: in my opinion the most useless item in the game is "seeds." and the secondly the blowpipe. I've never used either of those items for any reason; they were either too weak when I found enough seeds to make the blowpipe relevant or I just didn't happen to find a blowpipe. Sure you can grow things with seeds; but do you really do that? I don't think so.

Edited for my stupidity: I'm sorry everyone, my aforementioned condition... it gave me an aneurysm and I forgot what the entire post was a point of making. The worse tool? I find the drills to be the worse, copies of normal picks and they make a noise that I can't stand the entire time they are going off. (No offense to people that like them) I just find them to be the worse.

On topic: in my opinion the most useless item in the game is "seeds." and the secondly the blowpipe. I've never used either of those items for any reason; they were either too weak when I found enough seeds to make the blowpipe relevant or I just didn't happen to find a blowpipe. Sure you can grow things with seeds; but do you really do that? I don't think so.

Uh, I grow things with seeds all the time. I love Ironskin and Rejuv potions and also Spelunker Potions. I usually have 30-50 flowerpots in my house pumping out dayblooms, deathweeds, moonglow, etc.

Now if you mean just regular seeds (the ammo kind), well. You don't get regular seeds without having a blowpipe in your inventory. So if you have a blowpipe, just cut a bunch of grass and you'll get lots of seeds. Blowpipe is a 'meh' beginning of the game weapon that allows for ranged attacks when all you got is a wooden sword. I've seen it have uses, like there are times I run into a skeleton in the caves and I'm up on a ledge... I'll blowpipe him to death, lol. Better than risking death when I have 100 life and 0 defense (that's like death in 5-6 hits).

Uh, I grow things with seeds all the time. I love Ironskin and Rejuv potions and also Spelunker Potions. I usually have 30-50 flowerpots in my house pumping out dayblooms, deathweeds, moonglow, etc.

Now if you mean just regular seeds (the ammo kind), well. You don't get regular seeds without having a blowpipe in your inventory. So if you have a blowpipe, just cut a bunch of grass and you'll get lots of seeds. Blowpipe is a 'meh' beginning of the game weapon that allows for ranged attacks when all you got is a wooden sword. I've seen it have uses, like there are times I run into a skeleton in the caves and I'm up on a ledge... I'll blowpipe him to death, lol. Better than risking death when I have 100 life and 0 defense (that's like death in 5-6 hits).

I meant regular seeds, I didn't realize you needed a blowpipe in your inventory and could have swore that you could use them on dirt to make grass, maybe I'm crazy though. That makes more sense why I never "got enough" before I found one though. xD... I feel dumb, but I uh- rectified some errors in my last post because I apparently didn't realize what the OP was on about and went on to write about the worst item in the game rather than the worse "tool"

I meant regular seeds, I didn't realize you needed a blowpipe in your inventory and could have swore that you could use them on dirt to make grass, maybe I'm crazy though. That makes more sense why I never "got enough" before I found one though. xD... I feel dumb, but I uh- rectified some errors in my last post because I apparently didn't realize what the OP was on about and went on to write about the worst item in the game rather than the worse "tool"

Grass Seeds (sold by the Dryad) and the Ammo Seeds are two different items, so no... you can't even use those Ammo Seeds for growing grass either. AFAIK, the only thing Ammo Seeds can do is be ammo for the blowpipe. That is its one-and-only purpose.

If it is a breathing reed, I've found them useful for Pirate Map farming until I get a Flippers + Diving Helm. I activate the reed, hop in, wait until I'm all the way down to the bottom, and then I start killing junk. It extends my underwater time by several seconds, which means more killing and less going up and down. At least until I can get a helm to drop anyways.

On that note...

Why are Diving Helms a Helmet Slot Armor, instead of an accessory?

That makes no sense. They should ALL be accessories.
Considering how great the other water chest loot is (besides beach ball which might not be in these chests anymore in 1.3) it's a pretty big kick in the balls getting one.

If it is a Breathing reed, I've found them useful for Pirate Map farming until I get a Flippers + Diving Helm. I activate the reed, hop in, wait until I'm all the way down to the bottom, and then I start killing junk. It extends my underwater time by several seconds, which means more killing and less going up and down. At least until I can get a helm to drop anyways.
I also found breathing reed kinda useful for very early characters who may wish to hide from flying enemies by standing on a pool of water. Of course getting one before you're strong enough to reach and explore the ocean requires a fair bit of luck.

That makes no sense.
By the looks of the items, the diving helmet is big and clunky, but the diving gear is fairly compact. Presumably you improve the design while you're tinkering it. It is a bit odd though, the only other exception to the accessories in accessories out "rule" is the Whoopie Cushion for the Fart in Jar recipe.

i do when i fish them early, they can be gotten very early and are great if you do get them when starting
The worst tool in Terraria is the Guide, obviously.

Bad jokes aside, does ANYONE use those fish tools? The Reaver Shark and such?

I got both of them when I already had molten stuff and I used the reaver shark because it is faster than the molten pickaxe (So it doesn't have the problem of being slow as hell when minning dirt) The shark chainsaw is more or less as fast as the molten hamaxe, but is not a hammer so I only used it for a bit, to try it out..... But as someone else said, it would have been great if I didn't already had molten hamaxe.

So.... in my oppinion, shark pickaxe is better than molten and shark chainsaw is only inferior because is not two tools in one.

Hope I helped :)

I also found breathing reed kinda useful for very early characters who may wish to hide from flying enemies by standing on a pool of water. Of course getting one before you're strong enough to reach and explore the ocean requires a fair bit of luck.

By the looks of the items, the diving helmet is big and clunky, but the diving gear is fairly compact. Presumably you improve the design while you're tinkering it. It is a bit odd though, the only other exception to the accessories in accessories out "rule" is the Whoopie Cushion for the Fart in Jar recipe.
I was pretty lucky one time. I got the blowpipe at the very beginning of the game when playing with a friend on our new server. There was a chest directly right of spawn, just a bit offscreen. I had a ranged weapon even before moving up from copper tools. It served me well too.

I would say all hammers. Yes I hear you hammer lovers at my door but I only have a pwnhammer and that's cause of altar smashing I just don't need them. If I place a wall out of position then an excuse for another room not that I do:dryadtongue:

The Presserator. So, instead of going out of my way to carefully place the actuators, I can just hit a button on the side of my screen and auto-place actuators until I remember to turn it off. Ditto.
Mine is a Hard Presserator, BTW, in case I want to squeeze in an extra def point at cost of diving gear... or running shoes, rocket shoes, etc (which have better than 'Hard').

Edit: Oh, and all the axes and chainsaws after the drax (little practicle use getting them, unless you don't have a drill/axe combo, or the digging claws).

Also, pearlwood hammer. Wooden hammer I understand, if you loose your copper hammer before getting an anvil. But why go all the way to hardmode just to get another wooden hammer?

Last edited:
Yes, I know this isn't a tool, and I'm not sure if someone has already wrote it, but... By favourite useless thingie in Terraria is... HALLOWED ARMOR! Yes, why I'm even making this when I can keep using my Titanium one or craft Chlorophyte one. And, for a melee one, CHLOROPHYTE ARMOR is also useless! Why would I craft Chlorophyte Armor if I can craft Turtle one?

Yes, I know this isn't a tool, and I'm not sure if someone has already wrote it, but... By favourite useless thingie in Terraria is... HALLOWED ARMOR! Yes, why I'm even making this when I can keep using my Titanium one or craft Chlorophyte one. And, for a melee one, CHLOROPHYTE ARMOR is also useless! Why would I craft Chlorophyte Armor if I can craft Turtle one?

If you are specializing in magic or ranged, building turtle armor isn't optimal. There's also the fact that turtle shells are rare drops.
Not to mention that chlrophyte armor has that nice set bonus where it shoots guys.

Hallowed armor is useful in expert mode to keep you alive long enough to get the chlorophyte armor.

Speaking of armor, is it me or are mage specific armor pathetically weak? Even high tier armor feels like paper, especially on expert.
Playing as a mage is very frustrating, as you have no defense not enough mana to keep up sustained dps, which is what the combat in terraria relies on - dps and knockback.

Shortshorts are pretty useless. Why do they even exist? They have little use in combat, as they have no reach, a narrow arc and are useless against aerial targets.

Last edited:
Speaking of armor, is it me or are mage specific armor pathetically weak? Even high tier armor feels like paper, especially on expert.
Playing as a mage is very frustrating, as you have no defense not enough mana to keep up sustained dps, which is what the combat in terraria relies on - dps and knockback.
No, it's not just you, Spectre Armor is really so weak. It's so weak even on normal, and keeping mana is always a problem...

About Hallowed Armor, the defense increase not that much, also if you had the Titanium Armor, keeping the Shadow Dodge can really defeat next one or two tier armors.

And about Chlorophyte Armor, I said it's useless for melee characters, not for mages or rangers.(Summoners are crying with their Spider Armor...) Collecting Turtle Shells is tricky, I agree with that, but, having a basic farm and taking some help from Water Candle and Battle Potion really makes the grind so short. Turtle is my favourite for Plantera, especially when I'm planning to do a Fetid Baghnakhs trick :)

You know what's the worse? Rare weapon drops. By the time you get it, you are probably already using something better.
A good example is the demon scythe. It rarely drops from demons, and if you are fighting demons you are near hardmode, where you can get a better magic weapon pretty early.

Same for medusa heads; they drop from a rare hardmode enemy with a 1% chance, and by the time it finally drops you are probably wielding something better.
I don't mind accessory drops, but rare weapon drops are annoying for this reason.

Back
Top Bottom