Official Beta Testers Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I tried to explain the cause of the first bug shown, but I didn't with the other two because there was nothing in the image that gave any indication as to why the bug occurred. I though I might actually loose points for not being able to explain it though...

Don't over-think it! I waited to have responses like this to see how people responded, with their own individual thoughts. I am not looking for the "Arkhalis said to answer it this exact way" tester either :)

Individuality, free thought, and creativity are all amazing traits I look for as well!
Awesome, interesting to note. Makes me feel better then haha.

Don't over-think it! I waited to have responses like this to see how people responded, with their own individual thoughts. I am not looking for the "Arkhalis said to answer it this exact way" tester either :)

Individuality, free thought, and creativity are all amazing traits I look for as well!
I took my own crack on trying to explain why the bugs were happening, oh well. At least I did it the way I thought was wanted in the best way I could.

I also said just what I thought on the first bug, but after I finished it, I couldn't stop thinking about what really happened... Then I kind of understood the own coding behind that after associating it with my own experiences with game maker... I feel so sad for not saying the complex answer...

Well, I answered mostly what I saw, by logic. Not sure if putting a small thought what could be the cause of second/optional bug was a good idea, but overall I explained what happened.

Please be patient, I can't say when really. There are nearly 700 responses to sort through so far. All I can say is good luck and please don't be disappointed if you are not selected. Keep in mind the few we choose are to help make the update better for everyone when it's released :)

p.s. further responses to this thread by me will be sparse and vague, intentionally

So explaining what you believe is the cause of the bug is bad, even if the answer is correct?
Think of it as you would taking a car to the shop for repairs. Unless you're an experienced mechanic yourself it's better to say "When I try to accelerate after a full stop, the engine hesitates for a second or two, then I get normal power. Occasionally the engine stalls and I have to restart it. Once I'm up to speed everything seems normal" than "I figure a boojum got into the framistan unifold, the grankwell's trunnion has gone skewgee, and that defrobbed the bilge patinator. Oh, and take a look at the henway while you're under the hood."

If you really are an experienced mechanic, go ahead and deskew the trunnion yourself — assuming you've got a full set of widget glampers and a suitably pligged momplitude adulator, of course.

Think of it as you would taking a car to the shop for repairs. Unless you're an experienced mechanic yourself it's better to say "When I try to accelerate after a full stop, the engine hesitates for a second or two, then I get normal power. Occasionally the engine stalls and I have to restart it. Once I'm up to speed everything seems normal" than "I figure a boojum got into the framistan glamis, the grankwell's trunnion has gone skewgee, and that defrobbed the bilge patinator. Oh, and take a look at the henway while you're under the hood."

If you really are an experienced mechanic, go ahead and deskew the trunnion yourself — assuming you've got a full set of widget glampers and a suitably pligged momplitude adulator, of course.

I very much disagree with that comparison. Knowing what the problem is doesn't automatically put you in the position to fix it, especially not when you're beta testing software, nor does that mean you're wrong.

Yes, it's unlikely that you as a beta tester will be able to figure out the cause of a bug before the devs do, but even if it doesn't help or hinder them, it's always good for your personal knowledge base, and that's never a bad thing.

Oh boy, I remember me assuming that one of the bugs was caused by a certain problem and explaining what I think the problem is (in the optional one). :sigh: I hope that counts as free thought, and not just irrelevant input.

I very much disagree with that comparison. Knowing what the problem is doesn't automatically put you in the position to fix it, especially not when you're beta testing software, nor does that mean you're wrong.

Yes, it's unlikely that you as a beta tester will be able to figure out the cause of a bug before the devs do, but even if it doesn't help or hinder them, it's always good for your personal knowledge base, and that's never a bad thing.
Agreed, it's an imperfect simile in a number of ways. The central point stands regardless, I think: describe the problem and let the people who get paid to work on the code/engine/binnacle-tamper determine the underlying cause.

There's nothing wrong with speculating to oneself. However, as a developer who's been given far too many "check the wibble quotient in your focusing priff"-type reports, I've got to say that in the vast majority of cases speculation doesn't belong in bug reports. I can't recall a single instance out of hundreds in which a tester's flight of fancy came anywhere close to helping to find what was really wrong. I can recall others on the dev team, who weren't hep to the jive, giving credence to the speculations and wasting a whole lot of time chasing down red herrings.

That's my experience. Your mileage may vary. :dryadsmile:

My age is high enough to participate, but I don't know if I'll have enough time to check everything out. How much time you'd like for us to spend on testing? It may be a bit difficult for me to do these on weekdays (except for a hour or maybe two) but I may have more time during weekends (up to the whole noon/afternoon). Is it worth to write an application in this situation?

Just asking. An answer would be appreciated.

My age is high enough to participate, but I don't know if I'll have enough time to check everything out. How much time you'd like for us to spend on testing? It may be a bit difficult for me to do these on weekdays (except for a hour or maybe two) but I may have more time during weekends (up to the whole noon/afternoon). Is it worth to write an application in this situation?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :)

The amount of hours you can spend can be filled in in the application. Furthermore, there is also a section for notes, so I am sure you'll be able to share your situation. Just go for it.

I have some experience of bug testing on Super House of Dead Ninjas.
Exchanging bug reports to Megadev was really fun!
Hope I get in!

Sorry if it has been asked before, but how will we know if we are accepted? Email?
I think the application said something to the effect that the email address had to be correct so they could contact you.

*checks* Yuppers. Not exactly the same as what you're asking, I reckon it amounts to the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom