Blocks & Decoration Changing Name of Demon Alter

Do you want the Demon altar's name changed?

• Total voters

xMushroomx

Terrarian
Hello!

I really enjoy Terraria. Its a nice looking, exploration game that offers alot of content. But I had to stop playing it game because there was these things called demon altars. At first I didn't even know what the name meant and thought it was ok, but later I found out what it was and stopped playing because it conflicts my religious beliefs.
Looking back on the Steam Store for Terraria, I saw that one of the tags was, "Family Friendly" meaning I know this game isn't supposed to be offensive to people. So if demon altars could be changed to something like Dark creator, that would be so much better. While I can't speak for others on whether this is even a problem or not, its a problem for me and possibly for others. Thanks.

Long time players know its true name..

Purple Spiky Thing.

I always thought Demon Bow was kinda out of theme so I suppose Demon Altar is as well. Demons are for the Underworld. So I'd be up for Shadow Altar.. but this also raises the question, why does Demon Altar bother you.. but not Demons? And Demon Eyes? And Red Devils? And what about Hellstone and Hellbats and the entirety of the Underworld/Hell?

I'm sorry, but if that much turns you off... you're being way too sensitive. The corruption is evil. It's not supposed to be a good thing. If the word 'demon' upsets you, you're not going to have a good time once you tunnel down to the bottom of the map, and while one word wouldn't be hard to change, I absolutely refuse to sacrifice an entire biome over something this banal.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I can't understand this beyond not liking a word, because that's exactly all it is. I'd think you'd have more of a point if you could actually pray at demon altars or otherwise do distinctly sacrilegious things. You can't. They're just there, a workbench that you never actually have to use, and later you have the option to destroy every single one that's in your world with your mighty hammer of justice.

Or you could play a Crimson world. But Hell will still be a problem.

If demon altars hurts you, just don't use them. I think that your problem is that you not find correct to "sacrifice items to demons". So battling demons won't be a problem, right?

I'm also religious, but seeing the simplelistic way of crafting is implemented into Terraria, I see these altars as nothing more than just another workbench.

Yes, I literally thought you use the altars as a workbench to hammer stuff with. And I stil prefer to think it that way.
I guess over time I'm getting used to it, Terraria's mechanics are simplelistic and the lore is non-existant.
People can imagine dark theories about the lore, and others (like me) are like, 'meh, it's just a different table'.

There are some darker actions that one needs to do to progress though, but because of Terraria's sillyness and nonexistant lore, I don't really bother too much about it as it's just a game with random shenanigans.

At the end, your original main goal is to clean the corruption and their altars as well, so at the end it might eventually be worth it.
Just don't bother too much about it and look at the greater parts that this game has to offer.

Honestly, I am religious too, but I just don't let these small little things bother me. I usually just think "well, the devs made it that way, so that's the way it is". I mean, I would be fine if it was changed to shadow altar, but I really don't see the need for a name change.
Long time players know its true name..

Purple Spiky Thing.

I always thought Demon Bow was kinda out of theme so I suppose Demon Altar is as well. Demons are for the Underworld. So I'd be up for Shadow Altar.. but this also raises the question, why does Demon Altar bother you.. but not Demons? And Demon Eyes? And Red Devils? And what about Hellstone and Hellbats and the entirety of the Underworld/Hell?
it shall be a Shadow Altar
Yeah Shadow Altar is nice.

If it helps, you are not the first person to take issue with game content for religious reasons, and believe me when I say that I do understand where you (and other people who may have similar issues) are coming from. The key thing here, however, is that the use of demons in this context (or for any other uses of demons or hell related content in Terraria) is not religious in nature; demons have long been a part of the realms of fantasy, and while they may stem from religion (or even superstition), I think it's fair to say they have long since been separated from those roots (as in that they can be used in a non-religious context).

This is not to say that you should be completely fine with it, of course not, but merely that this content is completely void of any religious context, and that I don't feel (of course, that's just how I personally see it) that exposure to content like this has to infringe beliefs or morals: it shouldn't be 'wrong' to play a game with fictional creatures or items called demons or demonic.

Hello!

I really enjoy Terraria. Its a nice looking, exploration game that offers alot of content. But I had to stop playing it game because there was these things called demon altars. At first I didn't even know what the name meant and thought it was ok, but later I found out what it was and stopped playing because it conflicts my religious beliefs.
Looking back on the Steam Store for Terraria, I saw that one of the tags was, "Family Friendly" meaning I know this game isn't supposed to be offensive to people. So if demon altars could be changed to something like Dark creator, that would be so much better. While I can't speak for others on whether this is even a problem or not, its a problem for me and possibly for others. Thanks.
I see your point here, but let me stop you on a few things.

1. If you think the Demon Altar is bad, that's your take on it. If you want to see it that way, you can. I won't hate you for that. However, there are different ways to look at this. Some people (like me and probably all of the others who commented on this thread) look at the Demon Altar as another crafting stations. I didn't even think of it being about sacrificing things to demons until I saw this. To most people, it's just another crafting station. However, instead of that, I usually think, "YES! I CAN SUMMON THE EYE OF CTHULHU!" or "YAY! I GOT PALLADIUM!"

2. It would have been nice if you did some research on Demon Altars and how this game relates to demons, you would realize that
a) Demon Altars are essential to the game as you need them to progress in Terraria.
b) in Hardmode, you destroy Demon Altars with something that resembles a holy hammer to obtain Hardmode ores.
c) if you dig deep enough, you will find an entire Underworld practically based around demons.

Thanks for your time.

I'm also a Bible-Believer, and while I get that the game does have some questionable content in it for Christians, the things about it are this...

1). The game does not glorify demons or interactions with demons in any manner.
2). The game does not depict Satan or anything relating to Satan in any manner.
3). The demons that are present in the game are your generic imaginations of demons that nearly anybody comes up with, that are probably entirely unrealistic.
4). Said Demon Altars play such a small and insignificant role in the gameplay (you can easily skip interacting with them altogether if you don't mind missing out on the Terra Blade).

That being said, I do understand the hesitation. I don't think that personally, there's enough here that should cause a player to think that this game is secretly evil or that the game came from Satan to drag you to Hell or anything like that.

The game borrows concepts from many different mythologies and religions like any other fictional work, and in most cases, these references and concepts are not placed there with malicious intent, and in Terraria's case, the game does not force you to do anything demonic. If you are uncomfortable with using a demon altar to make a purple sword, then you have the option of simply not doing it.

I can certainly relate to your position, OP. In fact, I stopped playing Tremor Mod (I think it was Tremor?) because of a weapon that was praising Satan in its description. For me, I won't touch a game/content/etc made by somebody who thinks it is OK to (even in jest) praise Satan.

The general word “altar” does not necessarily infer that it is used for good or bad worship let alone of who or what so I believe “demon” is appropriate because of the whole corruption infection aspect of the game so then you are fighting the “good” fight.

Back
Top Bottom