NPCs & Enemies [Sprites] The Sealed Core: Looking at the Granite Minibiome in Hardmode

652Graystripe

Plantera
The Granite Cave has very little going for it after Hardmode comes on the calendar, so I thought spicing it up a little couldn't hurt. What with? A miniboss, of course!

Sealed_Core_inactive.png
"Sealed Core"
You will occasionally find this little creature lying around on the floor of the cave. Don't mess with it. Please, for your own sake, treat it as you would a live stick of dynamite. If you get too close, it wakes up in the same "oh crap" way as a biome mimic.
Sealed_Core.png
Well, you woke it up. In addition to shooting wall-piercing bolts of energy, it'll summon three elementals to orbit it. And it can teleport.
-1000 (2000) HP
-45 (55) Defense
-70 (140) damage

Once you lower it to about 200 HP, it'll do a thing where it goes invulnerable and, if you get too close, releases a powerful blast of energy in all directions. It'll hurt, but thankfully it pulses in warning, and if you don't approach it it'll just resume the fight in a few seconds.

Now, onto the drops.
Granite_Block.png
Granite Block (50-80)
Sealed_Javelin.png
Sealed Javelin
-Drops in quantities of 250-350
-22 usetime
-36 damage
-3 knockback
-Splits into three upon hitting an enemy, pierces
-Also craftable with
Granite_Block.png
Granite Block x20,
Soul_of_Might.gif
Soul of Might x1 (makes 20 javelins)

Also, new craftable items!
Stone_Grinder.png
Stone Grinder
-Crafted with
Granite_Block.png
Granite Block x50,
Soul_of_Fright.gif
Soul of Fright x10
-29 usetime
-52 magic damage
-costs 16 mana
-casts a ball of blue energy with three smaller balls orbiting it

Rock-it_Launcher.png
Rock-it Launcher
-Crafted with
Granite_Block.png
Granite Block x50,
Soul_of_Fright.gif
Soul of Fright x10
-34 usetime
-46 ranged damage
-Consumes bullets, turns all bullets into Explosive variants

Vulcan
Vulcan.png
-Crafted with
Granite_Block.png
Granite Block x50,
Soul_of_Might.gif
Soul of Might x10
-29 usetime
-61 melee damage
-7 knockback
-Sets enemies on fire, spits small globules of lava like the Bladetongue

Elemental Staff
Elemental_Staff.png
-Crafted with
Granite_Block.png
Granite Block x50,
Soul_of_Might.gif
Soul of Might x10
-Throws a boulder that can reflect projectiles like a Selenian
-35 usetime
-39 magic damage
-4 knockback

Sealed_Core_Banner.png
...and also a banner if you somehow manage to defeat it 50 or more times.

5 Dec 2018: Updated thread wording for clarity. Most items are now craftable rather than being drops. Elemental Staff changed to magic damage; specific damage type of Sealed Javelins removed due to my views on summoners and throwers. Expert Mode values added.

Last edited:
"Rock-It Launcher"? Love it! I really like the granite/marble biome hard mode upgrades people are making, and this is pretty good! The only thing I have to say against it is the number of attacks it has, it acts like a boss compared to the other mini-bosses.

"Rock-It Launcher"? Love it! I really like the granite/marble biome hard mode upgrades people are making, and this is pretty good! The only thing I have to say against it is the number of attacks it has, it acts like a boss compared to the other mini-bosses.
True. Considering that the biome mimics have very few defined attacks.

Maybe nerf this thing a bit, I'd get rid of the bouncing balls (can't believe you made me type that) and just have it try to ram and selfdestruct. Otherwise it's really cool, and I like the items it drops. Maybe the Rock-it Launcher should shoot rocks, though?

I'm not sure about the whole "explodes and comes back to life after you thought you killed it thing"

I think it'd be fine, because you can easily tell it isn't dead by its health bar. Though I'm not quite sure how that mechanic would work out on the Core's end, since lying motionless on the ground is a great invitation for a player to snipe you from far away, unless it becomes invulnerable during this period, in which case it'd have to have some sort of time limit to how long it'll wait before it starts up again even if no one came near it.

Actually, OP, could you rephrase the whole section about the explosion attack to make it more clear? Right now it isn't clear at all, in fact I originally thought from the way you described it that that attack was supposed to be a last-ditch suicide attack after it was dead, not a surprise attack.

I think it'd be fine, because you can easily tell it isn't dead by its health bar. Though I'm not quite sure how that mechanic would work out on the Core's end, since lying motionless on the ground is a great invitation for a player to snipe you from far away, unless it becomes invulnerable during this period, in which case it'd have to have some sort of time limit to how long it'll wait before it starts up again even if no one came near it.

Actually, OP, could you rephrase the whole section about the explosion attack to make it more clear? Right now it isn't clear at all, in fact I originally thought from the way you described it that that attack was supposed to be a last-ditch suicide attack after it was dead, not a surprise attack.
I pretty much think it's like a Granite Elemental in Expert: just lies on the ground, then reawakens. If the player gets too close before the reawakening, it'll explode, but it doesn't die. It only does this when it's weak. Will rephrase.

I pretty much think it's like a Granite Elemental in Expert: just lies on the ground, then reawakens. If the player gets too close before the reawakening, it'll explode, but it doesn't die. It only does this when it's weak. Will rephrase.

Ah, okay. That makes sense, and I like that it's an evolution of the mechanic already used by the Granite Elementals.

Now that I think about it, it might be cool to have an enemy that selfdestructs on death, too, but maybe I'll save that for one of my own suggestions. ;P

THERES A PUG! P.S. they should add more dogs as in pets to terraria and give you the buff dog(Icon Coming soon) 2/13/16 {EASTERN US TIME} and add cats you know for the cat people out there.

Please refrain from making off-topic posts. If you want to suggest an addition to the game, then make your own suggestion thread.

Back
Top Bottom