Official Console 1.3 Update Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know if pipeworks have heard the ui complaints and issues and if they are ever going to do anything about it?
They have heard them, @Loki even said so. If you're expecting the old style of UI to come back it's not happening. Best you can hope for is they make the PC UI more controller friendly. I'm not sure that's possible, but that's where the devs stand on this.

Do we know if pipeworks have heard the ui complaints and issues and if they are ever going to do anything about it?

They've heard about it. But I think it's pretty low on the priority list so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Was in the underground snow in my new world again today, because that's where the easiest-to-access marble cave is. Was not using my SE the entire time I was down there, but when I TP'd back to the surface and was swatting flying eyeballs away from my shelter, it was invisible again. Saved and exited, went over to my trophy room world to put the hoplite armor on a mannequin...

...and my character, drill mount, and all my gear was invisible. I couldn't even access my flying piggy bank. Had to exit the game entirely and relaunch.

They've heard about them, but they're only concentrating on bugs right now. I doubt there will be anything else for quite a while, if at all. It's like a huge untested beta release. I have it on the Vita as well, and I'll probably just buy it on the PS3 too, so that I can actually enjoy it when I'm not playing on the PC.

Last edited:
I've been learning to identify potions by shape and color since the text is impossible to read XP
I've tried that too, but there's so many...I can only identify the basic health & mana, and their stronger variations with the white stripes, and sometimes the crate potion. All the rest are just too similar.

Last edited:
I've tried that too, but there's so many...I can only identify the health & mana variations, and sometimes the crate potion. All the rest are just too similar.

Restoration is a lighter pink and more square. Rage potions are red and yellow. Endurance potions are a pumice-grey color. Hunter potion is that orange and square where the crate potion is very slightly star-shaped. Heartreach is a pinkish purple and heart-shaped. Lifeforce is more diamond-shaped and a lighter red. Hardest are ironskin and swiftness, actually, because the yellow of ironskin and the green of swiftness look a lot alike. It is possible to identify them at a glance, or a long look and a squint.

Someone mentioned a sloar erruption bug earlier. just to chime in i got that bug earlier and its not going away lol. the thing is now unusable, doesnt work, stick your player in place and lags the game like crazy

They heard. Actual bugs will be fixed, but they sacrificed quality for ease of conversion.
[doublepost=1519510954,1519510715][/doublepost]
I prefer the old user interface that allowed switching through crafting tabs and pages. Now all of the stuff is thrown on to one screen and it just seems jumbled.
Most console players do. But the devs flat out don’t care, they have said the old console UI is gone.

They did promise some tweaks, so we’ll see if they make something both new and functional. My group has abandoned Terraria completely until they do.

Someone mentioned a sloar erruption bug earlier. just to chime in i got that bug earlier and its not going away lol. the thing is now unusable, doesnt work, stick your player in place and lags the game like crazy

Mine has been like that since I first got it. It only lags while swinging it. I use it for lighting the tunnels and unlocking my map. It isn't unusable. Once you realize the movement limitation it demolishes everything it touches pretty quickly. Only time this weapon is truly an issue is when you do not have crowd control measures to funnel mobs to you OR you forget that you can not currently "run and gun" with it in its current state. Isolating the trigger cause of the bug though?

It keeps being brought up about the ice biome but mine was created well away from any ice biome and the issue has been since creation.
[doublepost=1519532692,1519532324][/doublepost]
I've tried that too, but there's so many...I can only identify the basic health & mana, and their stronger variations with the white stripes, and sometimes the crate potion. All the rest are just too similar.

Try this: https://d1u5p3l4wpay3k.cloudfront.n....png?version=4f866c0e999bc436a2aecdb2d199451f

I started using this when I needed a specific potion now I am slowly learning by color and shape.. at least the ones that I use commonly.

@Loki can you guys please fix the kill counter resetting? In my single player world I was up to almost a thousand blue slime kills and well over 450 possessed armors... Then I started co-op play to fight the Moon Lord and all the kill counts reset to zero. And they reset again every time I go from single player to multiplayer and back. My melee character has the cell phone and my ranger carries a tally counter so I can see the numbers.

Even in multiplayer they reset... My friend and I would be killing pillars and we'd get the message that someone killed the 50th of whatever enemy we were fighting, go on to kill the Moon Lord (or die to him) and kill the cultists to respawn the pillars, and then we'd get the same message about killing the 50th enemy. I think I've killed the 50th of almost all the lunar enemies several times over. Not the 100th or the 150th, the 50th over and over again. It seems to reset between killing the Moon Lord and restarting the event.

It's making some banners impossible to get because the enemies are so rare the progression is very slow, like pinky, the nymph, the rainbow slime, and the angry nimbus. If the counts keep resetting I'll never get the banners for them

Also, you guys carried over whatever bug from the PC version made crawltipede banners unobtainable.

Terraria was one of my favourite games when I first got it for ps4. Then an update was available when I connected my console to the Internet which I thought might make it better, I was wrong.
Almost everything looks different and most of the objects and items are not recognisable.
Secondly, what is the layout of the crafting menu? It looks dreadful. I really don't know how to do the things I originally could do.
Also there is a terrible glitch. I spent ages collecting all the music boxes and when I loaded up the new updated game, they'd all been muddled and messed up.
Whilst I was going to the dungeon, there were new enemies, a powerful one then appeared and after I defeated it, my world got surrounded with swarming enemies just after this. Every time I go near them, I do not last long even though I have maximum life. This new content is horrible. I can't do anything anymore.
Another point is that the quick shortcuts have disappeared. WHY? I CANNOT SURVIVE WITHOUT THEM.
And finally about the magical thing called "exit without saving"... THAT HAS GONE! WHY? WHY DID YOU GET RID OF IT? You could undo your mistakes with it, you could reset boss battles without losing summoning items and potions, it was great for controlling time if you didn't get enough demon eye lenses in the night. It even set back solar eclipse events if you didn't manage getting those broken hero swords for the terra blade. It is horrible without it.
Other than this though, I think the feel of the game has gone. I don't know how but it doesn't seem to be the game it once was. I really can't be bothered to play since the update and I regret doing it. Please bring back the original game.
We wanted content parity with PC. Their solution was basically to just give us the PC version- a version designed to be played on a monitor on a desk close to your face with a mouse and keyboard. Why? So when they do get the two fully in line they can basically add things to all versions without having to tweak for each.

The problem with this is that console games are meant to be played on a tv several feet away, with a controller. This means what is a perfectly usable UI for a mouse makes for a clunky mess with a controller.

@Loki

Update on solar eruption. I have played for about two hours on his system today but on my cloud save..

Interesting (and awesome to see it work properly for the first time since I got it) it's been working perfectly. No lag, no frame by frame eruptions. I have been world hopping between legacy and new world's and slime rains and in and out of ice biomes and thus far nothing has triggered the lag.

It has been a limited time test so not sure it that is enough "data" to compare. My new working theory and maybe the others here that have had the solar eruption can give more insight... my system and tv are both older than his. Now I don't comprehend how that could lead to this particular glitch/bug but at this juncture it is the only thing that is different.

That OR my system saved file is corrupted in some way perhaps?

Not a computer tech savvy person so now these ideas may sound stupid due to lack of knowledge base but out of anything else common that I can see right now.

Also of note.. every time I leave the world and come back it is all undiscovered :/ though my tunnels are intact from exploration thus far. Not sure if this is due to switching consoles or not... but even world hopping back to a world I was on today everything went black again :/

We wanted content parity with PC. Their solution was basically to just give us the PC version- a version designed to be played on a monitor on a desk close to your face with a mouse and keyboard. Why? So when they do get the two fully in line they can basically add things to all versions without having to tweak for each.

The problem with this is that console games are meant to be played on a tv several feet away, with a controller. This means what is a perfectly usable UI for a mouse makes for a clunky mess with a controller.

This is exactly what I was thinking.
This UI isn't practical at all on console regardless of it's absurd transparency and flickering text.
Also, they said that they had to postpone the release in order to get an as bug free release as possible.
I'm sorry but imho that hasn't realy worked out that well, almost every day new bugs are found, it's more and more beginning to look like the release of 1.2.

A patch anytime soon would be more then welcome.

Here is my experience, I just sent these issues to the teraria development team, https://fs30.formsite.com/res/showS...YoPiqbVmppW3sv9hX4ZaVq4RwqLGDvWxLywXGi2SbcZA=, which i got from this video,
If you find issues with the new console version send them them to the development team. This is what I sent

"So while playing split-screen there are some major fps drops. This happens alot especially when fighting mobs and enemies and especially during mob fights and events. Additionally, the game has crashed just over 5 times resulting in some lost progress and items. The lag can be so bad that the game becomes unplayable. This is one majojr issue in the game, however, there are some additional issues. ex, solar eclipse, wall of flesh, moon lord pirate army and the celestial pillars and mechanical bosses. In the corruption the game lags alot.

Weapons and tools, when using certain weapons such as the imp staff, terrarian, and death sickle are invisible. The death sickle's projection is invisible, the imp staff is invisible, and the terrarians, projection is invisible. All summoner weapons and minion weapons are invisible, certain melee weapons and their projectiles are invisible, death sickle, terablade, dragon staff, imp staff, vortex blaster, and phantasm are the examples of a few weapons that are glitched.

Going back to performance, here are some other issues, while using the magic mirror the screen distorts into a pattern of colors, while fighting the goblin army, pirate army, and defeating the celestial pillars the screen would distort, break into a pattern of colors, a portion of my world spawn point was stuck in place, on the screen, the screen would sometimes flicker, in addition while using the monoliths( vortex, nebula, stardust an solar, they simply would just not work. The screen would just flicker black and white.

Other issues include when logging in and out of worlds, my character can be completely invisible, the same goes for player 2. In addition, the world itself flickers, along with fps drop. And when a blood moon starts during split screen the whole screen flickers. When entering the celestial pillars the screen also flickers.

A majority of these issues can be fixed by closing the game itself and relaunching itself, but the problems come back shortly.

The user interface, simply put the old console interface was much preferred, if you guys would implement an option to use the old user interface that would be nice, it would take some time but it would be worth it. Additionally doors, there are some issues where they are stuck and they don't open unless you keep clicking them. While in splitscreen things can be very hard to read, so having that old console user interface would be the best, even in single player things are still hard to read. At least make things easier to read in single player and splitscreen. This is especially an issue when sitting far from a television.

More suggestions, gravestones if you guys can, it would be kind to stop having gravestones drop on character death. It gets annoying having a bunch of gravestones around your world, and when you need to interact with certain things they can get in the way. Quick select is an option I really miss, binding items to your dpad such as healing potions and even other items. It was really useful before and if you guys could add that back it would be great.

Another thing is pausing the game, when you pause the game it should pause, well in split-screen when both players have paused the game still continues going live, leaving are characters vulnerable, my partner and I missed a solar eclipse event because of this.

The favorite items function is great, however sometimes when it does not save and you must favorite it, most of the time it works though.

Certain dyes, also make your characters invisible, logging into your world again makes things normal sometimes.

Character creation, the old method was better in my opinion than mixing colors with the slider.

Overall the update is epic and worth it love all the new stuff and especially expert mode. But these bugs make it inconvenient and especially annoying to deal with. To make it clear these bugs happen in both single player and especially split-screen, in my experience. Get these bugs sorted and the game will be even more epic."

This was my experience with the update, however I still enjoy playing the heck out of it.

When I first got this game on ps4, it was one of my favourite games. Then I connected to the Internet and saw that an update was available. I thought it might make it better... I was wrong.
1)I spent ages collecting all the music boxes which have been muddled and messed up due to the update.
2)The crafting menu looks dreadful and I don't know how to do the things I originally could.
3)Huge pillars surround the map and you die even with full life which minimises access to certain areas.
4)The quick shortcuts have gone, I can't survive without them.
5)The magical thing called "exit without saving"... HAS GONE. WHY? You could turn back mistakes. You could rewind time if you didn't collect enough demon eye lenses in the night. You could reset boss battles without losing potions and summoning items. You could reset solar eclipses without waiting for a new one to help get broken hero swords for the terra blade. It was also excellent for farming if you didn't get what you wanted. Please bring it back.
I originally liked this game before the update, please make it good again.
[doublepost=1519595687,1519595324][/doublepost]Sorry, I didn't know this had already sent, I have a really glitchy phone and it keeps sending me to the home screen. Ps: all the bad stuff I said about the update, it is nowhere near as bad as this horrible phone.
Just go into the controls and there will be an option for D-pad hotbars again. I don't see why you'd need them though

Also, the pillars are part of the Lunar Events. You seem like you've played this game for a while, so you should know about them by now.

Just press the bumpers to navigate crafting.
[doublepost=1519620414][/doublepost]Also a suggestion for the devs: Make the Splitscreen size bigger again. I can barely see anything making the Moon Lord fight easier in Solo.

@Loki (RE: AutoSave)

NOTE: Should be called the Save & Exit / AutoSave Crash Bug...First the game freezes on Save & Exit and this seems to cause all AutoSaves to be lost.

Thanks for the updates on this issue. Hopefully word of a fix will come soon enough. As of now though I must admit that I must shelve Terraria as it is truly unplayable. I don't like to throw that word around much but in this case I have no choice. The Save & Exit feature is broken and completely unreliable. The game froze twice yesterday and I lost a total of over 3 hours of progress. This is unacceptable for a game that I payed for, played for months without issue, was updated without any ability to say otherwise and now doesn't work as expected. This needs to be a top issue without question. This isn't a hardware issue or user error. This is bad code. Period.

I've now spent over 30 hours in my fresh new world post-update but I only have about 20 hours of progress saved. When 1/3rd of your play-time is completely wasted you start to question if a game is worth it. I love this game to death and the new content is great but this isn't a visual issue or a minor bug at best. This is as serious of an issue that a game can have and without correction the game will remain a crap shoot. I for one don't like playing Russian Roulette with my saves. If they can't find a solution they should at least consider changing how the save system works. Taking away the ability for us to save as we see fit and not providing a working system is not going to cut it. How did this get by testers? Are only a few people experiencing this? Seems like it should be everybody since we're all playing on the same hardware as I find it hard to believe that a fresh new world post-update was all that was needed to create a special circumstance of game crashes that only affect a couple of people.

Should I put in a bug report? Will it help or do they have enough on this issue? Are they any closer to a resolution?

Any further insight would be much appreciated. Thank you kindly.

FWIW: 1 crash yesterday was right after a BM while the other wasn't. Both were after a fresh reboot of the system and game.

Yes they have. Yes, some things will be done. What precisely that is has not been revealed yet.

Isn’t it awesome to get a weapon like that? You literally can get 400 damage hits 98% of the time. It’s better than the Meowmere or Star Wrath

Pretty sure that is just a graphical oddity/glitch with the text and not actually impacting the stats themselves, gameplay-wise.

I'm also getting flashing mana stars and the white box in the mini map

Those two are known (I have them all the time in my play as well) - though those are not game-breakers, so they are far lower down "the list"....

It's not fishing it's idoling.

How long were you idling? Is it a set period of time or variable?

@Loki can you guys please fix the kill counter resetting? In my single player world I was up to almost a thousand blue slime kills and well over 450 possessed armors... Then I started co-op play to fight the Moon Lord and all the kill counts reset to zero. And they reset again every time I go from single player to multiplayer and back. My melee character has the cell phone and my ranger carries a tally counter so I can see the numbers.

Even in multiplayer they reset... My friend and I would be killing pillars and we'd get the message that someone killed the 50th of whatever enemy we were fighting, go on to kill the Moon Lord (or die to him) and kill the cultists to respawn the pillars, and then we'd get the same message about killing the 50th enemy. I think I've killed the 50th of almost all the lunar enemies several times over. Not the 100th or the 150th, the 50th over and over again. It seems to reset between killing the Moon Lord and restarting the event.

I will see if PW has this listed - I have not encountered it myself yet. I cannot say where it is on their list until I hear back.

Just so that I am clear:
  • You are saying that the counter resets to zero any time you switch between a MP world and SP world?
    • So, if you were at 1057 green slimes on your SP world and then you swapped to a MP world, when you came back to SP, it says Green Slimes: 0?
  • Also, it resets at every Moon Lord kill
  • Again, all of these on the same consistent world(s)? (as kill counts are tied to worlds, not characters)

They heard. Actual bugs will be fixed, but they sacrificed quality for ease of conversion.

Incorrect in the last part, correct in the first in terms of order of priority.

Whilst I was going to the dungeon, there were new enemies, a powerful one then appeared and after I defeated it, my world got surrounded with swarming enemies just after this. Every time I go near them, I do not last long even though I have maximum life

This is the endgame Celestial Tower invasion event. It is intended to be a challenge - one that leads up to the best gear in the game and the final boss battle. The good news is that you can see those Pillars on your map and avoid them as needed. Each Pillar has its own dynamics designed to challenge various gameplay styles. Give it a chance and maybe research a bit about the event on the wiki. :)

Just going to give my straight up honest take (caveat: my current play is only through Skeletron and due to my crappy internet, I can only play SP) as of right now - that doesn't mean that others' takes are different (ymmv, etc) and I am sure it will be called biased, limited, etc. Also this is just my personal thoughts - cannot say that this represents the team, etc. - but such as that is:

Oddly enough - and this is coming from someone that would greatly prefer M+K for Terraria, but also grew up on consoles - I have not had this "literally unplayable" experience that I expected to encounter after hearing a lot of the more extreme comments here. My biggest difficulties are adjusting to playing with Terraria a gamepad at all - but that's my issue, not the game.

Playing on a TV, from a couch ~10' away... and no, I do not (sadly) own a 72" TV. :p

The UI has a handful of issues (blinking is annoying, overlap of some text, etc) - but the only time I find things trip over into the "holy crap that's really bad" realm is when ANY level of zoom is put in place. Zoom - for some reason - creates a litany of transparency and other issues that I would personally agree start to trip into the "this really isn't gonna work" stage.

Also can be a bit hard when in the map screen to zoom and look for stuff (one of my fave approaches) given the sensitivity of the cursor there and the font size.

The rest - quite frankly - is adjusting to a new way. For example, double tapping LB to get to the "grid" crafting works best for me here - whereas on PC I would have used the "list". I can get how a "filtered" list would be easier in some aspects - but this is far, far from unusable or even that difficult really once I took time to sort it out. Granted, I am "used" to the PC interface - but there is a far cry from "I'm used to X and this is Y" and "this is so horribly broken that no reasonable human being could use this". At this point, I'm about as smooth with Console as PC in this regard. Just my take - again, not invalidating anyone else's.

All that to say - everyone gets that this is different. Have tried to be up front about that - and that, though the "old way" isn't returning, that the team has the list of feedback and will hopefully soon be able to share a plan to perhaps ease that transition from X to Y for those that find it difficult.

4)The quick shortcuts have gone, I can't survive without them.

You can toggle D-Pad mapping back in the Controls menu (where you can also customize your controls).

It has been a limited time test so not sure it that is enough "data" to compare. My new working theory and maybe the others here that have had the solar eruption can give more insight... my system and tv are both older than his. Now I don't comprehend how that could lead to this particular glitch/bug but at this juncture it is the only thing that is different.

So, let me paraphrase back to be sure I have it:
  • All of the issues that you had with SE on your system are not occurring on his.
  • Hypothesis being that there may be some aspect of older XB1's that trigger this (now I am gonna have to go look at XB1 hardware changes over time)
  • How old is yours vs his?

As of now though I must admit that I must shelve Terraria as it is truly unplayable. I don't like to throw that word around much but in this case I have no choice. The Save & Exit feature is broken and completely unreliable

If you are unable to save your progress at all, I would tend to agree with that assessment. I know there are (from the last I saw) a couple of fixes that touch on saving/autosaving in the next fix patch... so I will be hopeful that this resolves your specific issue (as well as for anyone else experiencing the same). I have been unable to replicate any of it yet on my play - in spite of trying (and having an accidental attempt when my net dropped and my box logged me out of my profile and thus the game/my save). Gonna keep trying though.

I have directly shared your experience and all details to the QA and Dev teams - they were aware of a few edge cases (the source of those fixes I mention above), but not directly yours - and no one has been able to replicate it since (even I have tried to do so on my retail box). That said, and like you say, not being able to save is certainly a "big deal" - so I'll stay at it.

Should I put in a bug report? Will it help or do they have enough on this issue? Are they any closer to a resolution?

Filing a report via their system can never hurt - I say go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom