Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magenta, Yellow, and Cyan Wrenches (the primary colors for dyes and paints).
Logic Gates.
A method for finding the break in a line. All wires (wire ends) that just end abruptly could light up...

The cyber biome would be cool to start with this update . (engineer update)

Absolutely. I usually consider terraria a perfect game. The only way to change that to make me always consider it a perfect game would be to add this. I have always wanted a hallow alt.

Also, I want more defensive items. Maybe an item that, when clicked, creates a small shield that will act as a solid block to projectiles and if an enemy touches it, they get knocked back.
You could oh use it about 3 seconds at a time. That would be cool.

Expanding upon my previous Chest Sorting System idea;
How it would work is by placing chests together, placing an item on it (for now let's call it a Mechanical Sorter), and then wiring up the chest with any color wires you need. You can also set the Mechanical Sorter to sift through all the chests and sort them by name, amount, and/or block/item type. By linking the Mechanical Sorter with specific colors of wires (e.g. linking Mechanical Sorter's with Red Wire) will allow you to either lock the accepted color or allow you to link up multiple networks of chests. Another idea is to allow the Mechanical Sorter to act as a terminal, allowing you to search through a chest marked as "Main Storage" (Or having a Chest that is designed for that purpose) easing up the search time for items.

What about... energy?
Terraria is crazy mix of magic, technology, shrooms and tentacles, where everything is possible. While there are billions of ideas which are not (yet!) in the game, it's hard to implement something multifunctional that will be useful in every aspect of the game, except for general mechanics changes, which can be most difficult to implement, and propably that's reason for which there are not that much suggestions related to these.
However, when team is up for making such things, there is one mechanic that has not been implemented, which is energy.
It could be either of magical or technological nature - a some kind of mysterious power to run strange machines on it, or electric energy to create advanced mechanisms. The difference between them is only theme on which machines would be based.
So, one could say: how does it work then?
Just like in real world, players would need to gather energy in various ways and store it - not directly, though, but in special devices like power boxes or magic crystals. It could be moved around in special (or normal) wires, delivering it to machines which would use it to do various things - starting on amplifying effects of normal mechanisms, like reducing cooldon between shots in traps, increasing it's damage, and - in case of our beloved Flame Trap - range, and ending on being used as a fuel for special endgame machines, which would require it in order to work. Of course, using this energy to power various devices would consume it, so that players would have to create/find new, more efficient ways to produce and store it.
I personally think that making power plants and wiring them to various things to gain in strenght would be just fun.
A bunch of more precised ideas:
Both storage and gathering methods could be tiered - the farther player goes in the game, the better devices to gather and store energy he could make.
In my opinion, it would be best to make tiers out of various materials - lowest tier would be copper/tin storage/generators, while luminite - highest. It would also give more uses to this supreme endgame... metal? I guess it's metal, though I cannot be sure as for thing dropped by giant, flying lunar octopus wizard.
While conduits, which would transfer this energy would be placeable, storages could be both stationary (blocks) and mobile (items).
This energy could be generated in thousands of ways - from normal water, air and thermal/geothermal generators for technological, electric energy, to killing mobs or performing various magic rituals for arcane power.

Examples of uses, items and such:
  • Endgame device using energy for terraforming (like excavating extreme amount of land, or filling caves)
  • Ultimate biome control method, using energy to spread it or purify (inspired by purification machines shown in Terraria: Otherworld trailer. Thanks, Re-Logic!)
  • Upgraded teleporters, which wouldn't need wiring to work, but instead would be linked together in some other way (frequency, code), and consume power to teleport player
  • Amplifying existing machines, like reducing cooldown between statue spawns, or increasing traps firerate
  • Building device which would copy actually constructed structured when energy and materials are provided (inspired by Supreme Commander building templates method)
  • Custom engines/timers, with pulse frequency set by player with 0,01 sec. accuracy. Consuming energy per pulse would make them pretty balanced ;)
  • Superior light, consuming energy to light up enormous area
Now, if someone got to this point... I fully realise how difficult would it be to implement such mechanics. But when Re-Logic is taking challenge on their shoulders, such suggestion may not pass through unnoticed. Main reason for which I consider it to be such amazing thing is that it has a lot of uses, theoretically being usable with everything that exists in game world, even dirt blocks - for example, using such energy to grow grass on it... faster. Yeah, I know about Staff of Regrowth, it's just an example :D

Last edited:
I'd like a way to craft dart/spear/etc. traps or buy them. Also, it'd be nice if traps you placed didn't harm you or NPCs (of if that was an option you could toggle on and off or something).

I'll admit I'm not much of an engineer. I also have no idea if this has already been mentioned through the 39 pages this thread covers, but still.

I think it'd be interesting to see something done involving servos or gears. Such items could make for numerous new, fancy items like portcullises or drawbridges, and while yes, we can build something like a drawbridge with actuators, it's not really the same thing when you get to the nitty gritty of it. (Really, it's more like a trap door in function.) Clever use of gears and/or servos could also allow for the creation of animated or transformable player constructions: For example, a player could build a statue that could wave, or a house with an opening/closing sun-roof.

What about... energy?
Terraria is crazy mix of magic, technology, shrooms and tentacles, where everything is possible. While there are billions of ideas which are not (yet!) in the game, it's hard to implement something multifunctional that will be useful in every aspect of the game, except for general mechanics changes, which can be most difficult to implement, and propably that's reason for which there are not that much suggestions related to these.
However, when team is up for making such things, there is one mechanic that has not been implemented, which is energy.
It could be either of magical or technological nature - a some kind of mysterious power to run strange machines on it, or electric energy to create advanced mechanisms. The difference between them is only theme on which machines would be based.
So, one could say: how does it work then?
Just like in real world, players would need to gather energy in various ways and store it - not directly, though, but in special devices like power boxes or magic crystals. It could be moved around in special (or normal) wires, delivering it to machines which would use it to do various things - starting on amplifying effects of normal mechanisms, like reducing cooldon between shots in traps, increasing it's damage, and - in case of our beloved Flame Trap - range, and ending on being used as a fuel for special endgame machines, which would require it in order to work. Of course, using this energy to power various devices would consume it, so that players would have to create/find new, more efficient ways to produce and store it.
I personally think that making power plants and wiring them to various things to gain in strenght would be just fun.
A bunch of more precised ideas:
Both storage and gathering methods could be tiered - the farther player goes in the game, the better devices to gather and store energy he could make.
In my opinion, it would be best to make tiers out of various materials - lowest tier would be copper/tin storage/generators, while luminite - highest. It would also give more uses to this supreme endgame... metal? I guess it's metal, though I cannot be sure as for thing dropped by giant, flying lunar octopus wizard.
While conduits, which would transfer this energy would be placeable, storages could be both stationary (blocks) and mobile (items).
This energy could be generated in thousands of ways - from normal water, air and thermal/geothermal generators for technological, electric energy, to killing mobs or performing various magic rituals for arcane power.

Examples of uses, items and such:
  • Endgame device using energy for terraforming (like excavating extreme amount of land, or filling caves)
  • Ultimate biome control method, using energy to spread it or purify (inspired by purification machines shown in Terraria: Otherworld trailer. Thanks, Re-Logic!)
  • Upgraded teleporters, which wouldn't need wiring to work, but instead would be linked together in some other way (frequency, code), and consume power to teleport player
  • Amplifying existing machines, like reducing cooldown between statue spawns, or increasing traps firerate
  • Building device which would copy actually constructed structured when energy and materials are provided (inspired by Supreme Commander building templates method)
  • Custom engines/timers, with pulse frequency set by player with 0,01 sec. accuracy. Consuming energy per pulse would make them pretty balanced ;)
  • Superior light, consuming energy to light up enomrmous area
Now, if someone got to this point... I fully realise how difficult would it be to implement such mechanics. But when Re-Logic is taking challenge on their shoulders, such suggestion may not pass through unnoticed. Main reason for which I consider it to be such amazing thing is that it has a lot of uses, theoretically being usable with everything that exists in game world, even dirt blocks - for example, using such energy to frow grass on it... faster. Yeah, I know about Staff of Regrowth, it's just an example :D
Having to renew machines energy and farm it to keep your devices working sounds like a pain in the :red:. Also how do you obtain energy anyway?
All i think we need is a programming language (see my post on the previous page) and it will solve all of our problems that wire can't.

Having to renew machines energy and farm it to keep your devices working sounds like a pain in the :red:. Also how do you obtain energy anyway?
All i think we need is a programming language (see my post on the previous page) and it will solve all of our problems that wire can't.
Current devices would remain unchanged, except that some of them could be amplified. As for energy obtainment way - it's up to devs. It could be generated just with blocks placed in ex. lava or water, or by killing mobs. Also, I actually like farming to get energy, as it would force players to do something instead of massive automatization.
The feature I've written is not about filling up holes in wire functionality, but adding new mechanics to the game, with a lot more uses (energy could be used even as a currency on MP servers, if one someone liked to).
I won't say anything about programming in Terraria, except that not everyone can do this now, and not everyone would want to actually learn it to use game features. I am not against, though. But I don't like idea of implementing anything from Minecraft to Terraria. Minecraft is about building, Terraria about exploring and fighting. I believe that energy generation could be automatized, but active contribution to it should give far better results, as it would keep Terraria manual playing style. Automatization is good, but not complete. When everything is automatic, You don't have to do anything in game.
Sorry for such long time it took me to write this response. Not only I can use only one hand, but it's left.

Last edited:
maybe physics based mechanics such as a launcher and a physic pressure plate that is activated by falling blocks adding more engines and more defense possibilities

This was a wiring post I made a while back
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/long-cycle-timers.5632/#post-148229

I also would like to suggest a mechanic for unidirectional wiring. Whether it is a new wrench/wire color or an actuator like device you place on timers or switches doesn't matter whichever is most feasible.
The idea being that you set up wiring for say, trap pits, and you have all the devices wired to timers, and right now you would have to turn on each timer separately. If you could wire a single switch to all the timers and flip the switch to cycle the timers on and off without the timers cycling each other. I.E. Setting up a master switch where the elements on the circuit would not be able to trigger/activate/cycle each other.

Oh, I also totally agree that wire needs to be craftable. It would make Copper/Tin useful beyond the initial tier. (Most of the time I don't even bother with that tier because Silver/Tungsten is not that much harder to find.)
Maybe 1 Copper/Tin Bar + 25 Vine Rope = 50 Wire. (Vine Rope b/c plant resins IRL can be made into plastic polymers. Thus you have an ingredient for the insulation of the wire.)

Mabye a potion which allows you to extend your placement and cutting range of wires. Also mabye 0.5 or 0.25 second timers crafted with multiple plat/gold watch or with hardmode ore.

How about a way to remotely activate a teleporter with a potion? I know, not exactly wiring related.

A lot of people are wanting some way to activate teleport pads with out having to run miles of cable. How about having teleport pad icons show on the map when you have a potion in your active slot, then you right click on the icon in the map and get teleported to that pad.
It could be implemented with current potions - Teleport or Wormhole - or make an entirely separate potion for remote teleporting.
There could also be a requirement that a Teleport Transceiver be wired to a teleporter to enable this remote teleportation.
Might even require that you can only remote teleport between pads that have a Transceiver wired to them.

On the Dev side, I don't think it would take much more than modifying the code already in use for the wormhole potions.

Last edited:
Idk if someone already suggested this, but seriously we need jungle solution, crimson/corruption/hallow completly destroy the jungle everytime you go hardmode, also being allowed to plant some mahogany trees wouldn`t hurt

Pistons - Made of 3 Iron Bars, 5 Wood, and 1 Wire at a Anvil.
Sonic Screwdiver - made of 1 Wrench, 50 Wires, 5 Soul of Mights and a Laser Rule. You will be able to have a range of 40 and you will see where you can place wires

Pistons - Made of 3 Iron Bars, 5 Wood, and 1 Wire at a Anvil.
Sonic Screwdiver - made of 1 Wrench, 50 Wires, 5 Soul of Mights and a Laser Rule. You will be able to have a range of 40 and you will see where you can place wires
Isn't it taken from Minecraft?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom