Khaios' Build Spectacle

What "class" do you prefer to play in Terraria?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you get the middle switch of the keypad to activate the right logic gate without one of the outer switches activating the same one as well as its own?

Good question. I'm going to put this in a spoiler, as it has a few images. Disclaimer: I'm a complete amateur at wiring stuff; self taught by experimentation, or seeing other people's work. Anything I do is likely not the best way to accomplish it.

Keypad.png

So this is what the wiring of the keypad looks like. As you can see, the number 5 (middle key) wire (red) runs across number 6 (middle right) on the keypad. This means whenever you press 6 on the keypad, 5 would also activate. So the problem is getting that key to only activate 6, without affecting 5. This is done via logic gates. I moved them away from they keypad, as they don't look all that great, and I wanted them to be hideable, so they're right next to the lock itself.

Keypad 2.png

Keypad 3.png

This is the second part to the keypad, each row marked with their respective number.

If you look at number 5, you'll see that it has a different logic gate type than the other numbers, and that the blue wire from number 6 feeds into it. As you'll recall, when number 6 is pressed, both the red and the blue wire are activated. In order to make the number 5 line not register that, we had to use a XOR logic gate. XOR gates will only activate if one lamp is on. When you press 6, both the red and the blue wires activate, thus the gate will not send a signal. Likewise, when you press 5, only the red wire is activated, in turn activating only one of the two lamps, which allows the gate to send a signal.

Now each switch on the keypad will work independent of the others! There's more misc information regarding the images below, if you're interested.

The row of logic gates across the top (red box) are pulsars. They rapidly turn a signal on then off again. This allows you to press each key on the pad once, and get a signal every time. Without them, you'd have to turn a switch on the signal once to turn it on, and a second time to turn it off again. Not really related to your question, but I thought I'd mention them anyway.

The row of logic gates in the orange boxes are only necessary if you use the announcement boxes to display which number is pressed as text. Without these logic gates, the announcement box would announce twice, each time you pressed a number on the keypad. Again, not really related to your question, but as it's part of my keypad design, figured I'd mention it.

I hope that answered your question. Since I'm self taught at this sort of thing, I have a hard time explaining what I've done, so I tend to over-describe. Sorry D:

Good question. I'm going to put this in a spoiler, as it has a few images. Disclaimer: I'm a complete amateur at wiring stuff; self taught by experimentation, or seeing other people's work. Anything I do is likely not the best way to accomplish it.

View attachment 202821
So this is what the wiring of the keypad looks like. As you can see, the number 5 (middle key) wire (red) runs across number 6 (middle right) on the keypad. This means whenever you press 6 on the keypad, 5 would also activate. So the problem is getting that key to only activate 6, without affecting 5. This is done via logic gates. I moved them away from they keypad, as they don't look all that great, and I wanted them to be hideable, so they're right next to the lock itself.

View attachment 202825
View attachment 202826

This is the second part to the keypad, each row marked with their respective number.

If you look at number 5, you'll see that it has a different logic gate type than the other numbers, and that the blue wire from number 6 feeds into it. As you'll recall, when number 6 is pressed, both the red and the blue wire are activated. In order to make the number 5 line not register that, we had to use a XOR logic gate. XOR gates will only activate if one lamp is on. When you press 6, both the red and the blue wires activate, thus the gate will not send a signal. Likewise, when you press 5, only the red wire is activated, in turn activating only one of the two lamps, which allows the gate to send a signal.

Now each switch on the keypad will work independent of the others! There's more misc information regarding the images below, if you're interested.

The row of logic gates across the top (red box) are pulsars. They rapidly turn a signal on then off again. This allows you to press each key on the pad once, and get a signal every time. Without them, you'd have to turn a switch on the signal once to turn it on, and a second time to turn it off again. Not really related to your question, but I thought I'd mention them anyway.

The row of logic gates in the orange boxes are only necessary if you use the announcement boxes to display which number is pressed as text. Without these logic gates, the announcement box would announce twice, each time you pressed a number on the keypad. Again, not really related to your question, but as it's part of my keypad design, figured I'd mention it.

I hope that answered your question. Since I'm self taught at this sort of thing, I have a hard time explaining what I've done, so I tend to over-describe. Sorry D:
Thanks for the detailed explanation, that helps a lot! And I tend to do the same thing. I'm mostly self-taught too, but I'm still trying to familiarize myself with logic gates in Terraria, so the over-explaining is actually appreciated.

The way you did it is about what I expected, and I did notice the different logic gate. I just couldn't quite wrap my brain around the details of it. That makes a lot more sense now!

Hey Terrarians! Exciting update on the adventure map :D
I've finally completed the Portal section overhaul! Now, I'll be moving onto new areas, to finally wrap up the map. Super excited!
That said, I've still been very busy IRL as of late, so progress will still be slow. I can't estimate when the map will be ready, but
I just wanted to let you all know I'm still hard at work on it. Have a spoiler image to whet your appetite ^.^

105600_20180619193847_1.png

Hey folks ^.^
I was clearing out my overflow of world save backups, and archiving older builds, when I found a small build I did last month but completely forgot to share.
Figured now is as good a time as any! Here's a modern beach house I built for @Miku Hatsune
I think it's funny that whenever people talk about "modern" houses (in Terraria, Minecraft, etc.), they always seem to refer almost exclusively to that type of style with a mostly white/metallic/glass color scheme and sharp structure.

Anyways, great build! I love the little umbrella on the table! Weird thing to pick out, I know. But it's the little details that I always seem to enjoy the most.

I think it's funny that whenever people talk about "modern" houses (in Terraria, Minecraft, etc.), they always seem to refer almost exclusively to that type of style with a mostly white/metallic/glass color scheme and sharp structure.

Anyways, great build! I love the little umbrella on the table! Weird thing to pick out, I know. But it's the little details that I always seem to enjoy the most.
Not just Terraria. Google "modern house" and you'll see even more of the same. It's an actual style of house. Give it another few decades, and it'll be called something else, with a new style uprising to the title of "modern."

Hey folks ^.^
I was clearing out my overflow of world save backups, and archiving older builds, when I found a small build I did last month but completely forgot to share.
Figured now is as good a time as any! Here's a modern beach house I built for @Miku Hatsune
I’m always a fan of your beach houses especially. Love the swimming pool. What is the gray wall at the bottom of the three top floors? I love the squares on it, but can’t pinpoint it. I’m assuming it’s painted as well.

I’m always a fan of your beach houses especially. Love the swimming pool. What is the gray wall at the bottom of the three top floors? I love the squares on it, but can’t pinpoint it. I’m assuming it’s painted as well.
Thank you, Unit ^.^
That wall is cobalt brick painted white :D

Hello Terrarians! Just wanted to share an update for my adventure map.
STW, and additional projects, as well as IRL obstacles keep slowing progress for the map.
That said, the end is in sight, and I'm hopeful it won't be too long before I have it released!

105600_20180809141207_1.png

Hello Terrarians! Just wanted to share an update for my adventure map.
STW, and additional projects, as well as IRL obstacles keep slowing progress for the map.
That said, the end is in sight, and I'm hopeful it won't be too long before I have it released!

The more I look at this picture, the more it reminds me of the Geonosian droid factory scene from Attack of the Clones.

Greeting Terrarians!
I'm extremely excited to announce two things today! First of all, my adventure map is finally done, and released! Name Reveal: Harbinger
You can find more information on it here: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/harbinger-adventure-map.73771/
Secondly, I also decided to start my first youtube channel! Here's the trailer to Harbinger, if you'd like to check it out:

Love the trailer! As if you didn't put enough effort into the project lol.

I'm trying to figure out how you did the diagonal rope for the fortress drawbridge, but I can't suss it out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom