Switch Lonely split screener's club

Nsk1341

Terrarian
I wanted to start a thread where those of us who are waiting for the release of split screen can gather. The main purpose of this is essentially to see how many of us there are.

Please fill free to share things like who you plan to play split screen with, if you've already purchased the game prior to split screen release and why or why not, and any memories you have of split screening this game in the past.

I'm also waiting for split-screen. Tbh, I was surprised it wasn't there when it was launched digitally. I didn't buy it then, preferred to wait until the physical released a couple months later. Couple reasons for this.

1. I'm mostly a solo player, and as I've played Terraria for an obscene amount of time, I figured split-screen with friends and family on my current favorite system would be perfect.

2. I figured it would be buggy when it first launched, so wanted to give it a while to work out some of them. (Saw your comment about 505 Games somewhere. I admit that influenced my thinking even though they're just the publishers, after what happened when Portal Knights first launched digitally on Switch. Thankfully I missed that :red:storm by waiting a few months for the physical.)

3. Got the physical day one just in case it became hard to find. That split-screen still wasn't implemented was really disappointing.

I'm annoyed, but I have loads of other games to keep me occupied, so I'll let you rant on my behalf. :nursewink:

Yeah I regret not waiting and picking up a physical copy when split screen was added. I currently have a digital copy which I purchased Immediately so my wife and I could play.

If split screen isn't added soon she's going to play Stardew Valley instead. I don't really plan on solo'ing this game because there are other things I'd rather play alone.

I've ranted a lot - it's unacceptable imo. I think it is important that your thoughts be posted here as well though, so thank you for posting!

So how do you play multiplayer?

I bought the game yesterday so my 5 yr old son and I could play it on the Switch. We play all the time on the Xbox 360. I was very disappointed to find out we could not play split screen together.

However, I read that with a subscription to Nintendo online (which we have) we can play up to 8 players. Ok. We have two switches connected to two televisions. Not in the same room, but might still be acceptable.

So, anyway, how do we play together using Nintendo online? How do you spawn the game to the second Nintendo? (surely the both don't need purchased copies to play)
Couls someone please print precise instructions for doing this? I cannot seem to find these instructions anywhere.

Thank you,

Jim

I bought the game yesterday so my 5 yr old son and I could play it on the Switch. We play all the time on the Xbox 360. I was very disappointed to find out we could not play split screen together.

However, I read that with a subscription to Nintendo online (which we have) we can play up to 8 players. Ok. We have two switches connected to two televisions. Not in the same room, but might still be acceptable.

So, anyway, how do we play together using Nintendo online? How do you spawn the game to the second Nintendo? (surely the both don't need purchased copies to play)
Couls someone please print precise instructions for doing this? I cannot seem to find these instructions anywhere.

Thank you,

Jim

Sadly we have to wait for split screen. It's been over 2 months and still no idea when they'll have it ready.

Even more sad is that yes, I believe you would need to purchase additional copies of the game.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Yeah I regret not waiting and picking up a physical copy when split screen was added. I currently have a digital copy which I purchased Immediately so my wife and I could play.

If split screen isn't added soon she's going to play Stardew Valley instead. I don't really plan on solo'ing this game because there are other things I'd rather play alone.

I've ranted a lot - it's unacceptable imo. I think it is important that your thoughts be posted here as well though, so thank you for posting!

The next update was supposedly close to being ready according to September's State of the Game, so I think your wife is alright to play Stardew. :nursenaughty:

I'm going to play a little bit because it's October, and I want to see the various enemies in costume. Obviously hoping they'll implement split-screen soon, because I also don't want to solo (again) considering I'm still getting through Astral Chain.

I occasionally come on here to see what's new, and I regularly check the Switch for Terraria updates. Can't really see what else to do except occupy yourself until it does. It is very much appreciated that you did so much ranting, because it really is surprising and upsetting that they launched without this highly sought aspect of the game. Thank you for doing that and starting this thread!

Thank you,

Jim

Hiya, if you do decide to buy additional copies, they're supposed to also implement local play between Switches. Yet another thing I thought they'd have at launch...

The next update was supposedly close to being ready according to September's State of the Game, so I think your wife is alright to play Stardew. :nursenaughty:

I'm going to play a little bit because it's October, and I want to see the various enemies in costume. Obviously hoping they'll implement split-screen soon, because I also don't want to solo (again) considering I'm still getting through Astral Chain.

I occasionally come on here to see what's new, and I regularly check the Switch for Terraria updates. Can't really see what else to do except occupy yourself until it does. It is very much appreciated that you did so much ranting, because it really is surprising and upsetting that they launched without this highly sought aspect of the game. Thank you for doing that and starting this thread!

Hiya, if you do decide to buy additional copies, they're supposed to also implement local play between Switches. Yet another thing I thought they'd have at launch...

Almost 4 months and still no split screen. Still no sign of a potential release time. I'm not even sure if split screen will be part of the next update. D:

Exclusion of split screen was the worst decision Pipeworks ever made. Its driving players away, obviously. Switch Terraria is my favorite edition, but it's so behind the other consoles. Will likely be doing another ps4 playthrough soon.

Exclusion of split screen was the worst decision Pipeworks ever made. Its driving players away, obviously. Switch Terraria is my favorite edition, but it's so behind the other consoles. Will likely be doing another ps4 playthrough soon.

Well weather I'm playing it or not they got my money already since it was not made clear on eShop at release that there was no split screen.

I agree though. It was a poor choice.

Thank you,

Jim

You have to have it set up a certain way. On the first switch you bought it on, your primary switch, is where the person who DID NOT buy the game with their Nintendo account will play. The second switch is where the person who DID buy the account will play. Nintendo lets anyone on the primary switch play any game bought, but the secondary switch only allows the purchaser to play. You and you and your son will need their own Nintendo accounts, only one account can have access to a game at a time. Even with the Nintendo Family Subscription account. Other wise you will have to buy the game twice to play freely on either switch. If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Hey, thank you for the reply...

I picked up the game at Walmart - I have a physical cartridge. My son (age 5) is on our family account and does not have purchasing (or other priviledges). We spent a few hours when we first got the accounts trying to link them (for some reason it wanted my son to have an email account)… and finally I believe I ended up having to put an account in my name on both switches to let him play the monthly games... and nobody else has access to them either. I imagine the *family* account does not act like five seperate accounts?

At any rate, we do not own two copies of the game, or have 2 paid yearly subscriptions. We have 1 copy of the game and we have 1 Family account with me, my wife, and our 3 kids on it. We own two Switches and trying to figure out all the linking and priviledge stuff is a pain.

For now we are just playing seperately, one at a time.

Jim

That's a bummer. Terraria is better with friends/family. Maybe we'll get some good new in the upcoming October state of the game.

And I'm back after 20 days, halfway through the Halloween grind-a-thon, and I see there's still not even a hint of split-screen any time soon.

So, Nsk1341, how's your wife enjoying Stardew Valley? :nursenaughty:

I'm so livid.

Former_lurker, she has not started.

I'm so angry I basically tossed $30 in the trash.

Never again buying a title associated with any of these companies.

On a more positive note - hollow knight is awesome!

I don't blame you. I think it was you who pointed out split-screen was listed in the eShop description. You probably could have gotten a refund from Nintendo because the description was flat-out wrong, and likely led to many others also wasting their money.

There was someone on the Portal Knights forum who lambasted the devs there about worlds not saving, and I think they got a refund because a month of ranting later and it still wasn't fixed.

All I can say is thanks for riding Pipeworks in an eloquent way on everyone's behalf. You have managed to put forth your argument clearly and convincingly without backing down. Well, you are right, anyway, because most of us expected split-screen and local multi-player since they were touting them, and these two features were missing, with at least one of them listed in the eShop description. After all this time, it really is outrageous, and we haven't even had a patch since July.

A friend and I were taking turns grinding for Goodie Bags in anticipation for when we would finally be able to play together, but we ended up putting the game away and doing other things because it was just so tedious. :nursesigh: I also found out how badly I suck when playing with a controller. :nursenaughty:

I'll end with another positive note: Forager runs pretty damn good handheld. Just Crystal Cave has really bad fps.

I don't blame you. I think it was you who pointed out split-screen was listed in the eShop description. You probably could have gotten a refund from Nintendo because the description was flat-out wrong, and likely led to many others also wasting their money.

There was someone on the Portal Knights forum who lambasted the devs there about worlds not saving, and I think they got a refund because a month of ranting later and it still wasn't fixed.

All I can say is thanks for riding Pipeworks in an eloquent way on everyone's behalf. You have managed to put forth your argument clearly and convincingly without backing down. Well, you are right, anyway, because most of us expected split-screen and local multi-player since they were touting them, and these two features were missing, with at least one of them listed in the eShop description. After all this time, it really is outrageous, and we haven't even had a patch since July.

A friend and I were taking turns grinding for Goodie Bags in anticipation for when we would finally be able to play together, but we ended up putting the game away and doing other things because it was just so tedious. :nursesigh: I also found out how badly I suck when playing with a controller. :nursenaughty:

I'll end with another positive note: Forager runs pretty damn good handheld. Just Crystal Cave has really bad fps.

It's really sad. I don't enjoy this. I don't want to be upset. I have never been like this with any other game or dev.

Thank you for appreciating my criticism of them.

You should make "I hope my salt haunts you" your catchphrase.

Hope you don't mind me saying I found your rants entertaining, especially that bit about project-vomiting salt. :nursenaughty:

Keep at them. I feel like I'll finally be at the end of my tether if we can't split-screen the Christmas event.

I try to keep myself somewhat light. This is just a game. I am a fan of the game and I'm self aware of how I must come off to others who aren't impacted by this issue like we are. I'm glad you find it entertaining but more so I hope they see the frustration they've instilled in someone who placed good faith in them.

I do like your idea of making it a catch phrase for the time being. Maybe I can format/attach it to the bottom of my posts.

Edit: Done. See below. Thanks for the idea.

I'm personally waiting for local multiplayer between two switches. But I'd like to think with it being a promised feature that wasn't added, I can be an honorary member of the club.

I'm personally waiting for local multiplayer between two switches. But I'd like to think with it being a promised feature that wasn't added, I can be an honorary member of the club.

There is no local multiplayer between two switches? Really?

Back
Top Bottom