• For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
  • For issues you find with the Mobile 1.3 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.

Switch Lonely split screener's club

Nsk1341

Terrarian
I wanted to start a thread where those of us who are waiting for the release of split screen can gather. The main purpose of this is essentially to see how many of us there are.

Please fill free to share things like who you plan to play split screen with, if you've already purchased the game prior to split screen release and why or why not, and any memories you have of split screening this game in the past.

former_lurker

Terrarian
I'm also waiting for split-screen. Tbh, I was surprised it wasn't there when it was launched digitally. I didn't buy it then, preferred to wait until the physical released a couple months later. Couple reasons for this.

1. I'm mostly a solo player, and as I've played Terraria for an obscene amount of time, I figured split-screen with friends and family on my current favorite system would be perfect.

2. I figured it would be buggy when it first launched, so wanted to give it a while to work out some of them. (Saw your comment about 505 Games somewhere. I admit that influenced my thinking even though they're just the publishers, after what happened when Portal Knights first launched digitally on Switch. Thankfully I missed that :red:storm by waiting a few months for the physical.)

3. Got the physical day one just in case it became hard to find. That split-screen still wasn't implemented was really disappointing.

I'm annoyed, but I have loads of other games to keep me occupied, so I'll let you rant on my behalf. :nursewink:

Nsk1341

Terrarian
Yeah I regret not waiting and picking up a physical copy when split screen was added. I currently have a digital copy which I purchased Immediately so my wife and I could play.

If split screen isn't added soon she's going to play Stardew Valley instead. I don't really plan on solo'ing this game because there are other things I'd rather play alone.

I've ranted a lot - it's unacceptable imo. I think it is important that your thoughts be posted here as well though, so thank you for posting!

Sssjim7

Terrarian
So how do you play multiplayer?

I bought the game yesterday so my 5 yr old son and I could play it on the Switch. We play all the time on the Xbox 360. I was very disappointed to find out we could not play split screen together.

However, I read that with a subscription to Nintendo online (which we have) we can play up to 8 players. Ok. We have two switches connected to two televisions. Not in the same room, but might still be acceptable.

So, anyway, how do we play together using Nintendo online? How do you spawn the game to the second Nintendo? (surely the both don't need purchased copies to play)
Couls someone please print precise instructions for doing this? I cannot seem to find these instructions anywhere.

Thank you,

Jim

Nsk1341

Terrarian

I bought the game yesterday so my 5 yr old son and I could play it on the Switch. We play all the time on the Xbox 360. I was very disappointed to find out we could not play split screen together.

However, I read that with a subscription to Nintendo online (which we have) we can play up to 8 players. Ok. We have two switches connected to two televisions. Not in the same room, but might still be acceptable.

So, anyway, how do we play together using Nintendo online? How do you spawn the game to the second Nintendo? (surely the both don't need purchased copies to play)
Couls someone please print precise instructions for doing this? I cannot seem to find these instructions anywhere.

Thank you,

Jim
Sadly we have to wait for split screen. It's been over 2 months and still no idea when they'll have it ready.

Even more sad is that yes, I believe you would need to purchase additional copies of the game.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

former_lurker

Terrarian
Yeah I regret not waiting and picking up a physical copy when split screen was added. I currently have a digital copy which I purchased Immediately so my wife and I could play.

If split screen isn't added soon she's going to play Stardew Valley instead. I don't really plan on solo'ing this game because there are other things I'd rather play alone.

I've ranted a lot - it's unacceptable imo. I think it is important that your thoughts be posted here as well though, so thank you for posting!
The next update was supposedly close to being ready according to September's State of the Game, so I think your wife is alright to play Stardew. :nursenaughty:

I'm going to play a little bit because it's October, and I want to see the various enemies in costume. Obviously hoping they'll implement split-screen soon, because I also don't want to solo (again) considering I'm still getting through Astral Chain.

I occasionally come on here to see what's new, and I regularly check the Switch for Terraria updates. Can't really see what else to do except occupy yourself until it does. It is very much appreciated that you did so much ranting, because it really is surprising and upsetting that they launched without this highly sought aspect of the game. Thank you for doing that and starting this thread!

Thank you,

Jim
Hiya, if you do decide to buy additional copies, they're supposed to also implement local play between Switches. Yet another thing I thought they'd have at launch...

Nsk1341

Terrarian
The next update was supposedly close to being ready according to September's State of the Game, so I think your wife is alright to play Stardew. :nursenaughty:

I'm going to play a little bit because it's October, and I want to see the various enemies in costume. Obviously hoping they'll implement split-screen soon, because I also don't want to solo (again) considering I'm still getting through Astral Chain.

I occasionally come on here to see what's new, and I regularly check the Switch for Terraria updates. Can't really see what else to do except occupy yourself until it does. It is very much appreciated that you did so much ranting, because it really is surprising and upsetting that they launched without this highly sought aspect of the game. Thank you for doing that and starting this thread!

Hiya, if you do decide to buy additional copies, they're supposed to also implement local play between Switches. Yet another thing I thought they'd have at launch...
Almost 4 months and still no split screen. Still no sign of a potential release time. I'm not even sure if split screen will be part of the next update. D:

White_Shadow

Eye of Cthulhu
Exclusion of split screen was the worst decision Pipeworks ever made. Its driving players away, obviously. Switch Terraria is my favorite edition, but it's so behind the other consoles. Will likely be doing another ps4 playthrough soon.

Nsk1341

Terrarian
Exclusion of split screen was the worst decision Pipeworks ever made. Its driving players away, obviously. Switch Terraria is my favorite edition, but it's so behind the other consoles. Will likely be doing another ps4 playthrough soon.
Well weather I'm playing it or not they got my money already since it was not made clear on eShop at release that there was no split screen.

I agree though. It was a poor choice.

Trip

Terrarian

Thank you,

Jim

You have to have it set up a certain way. On the first switch you bought it on, your primary switch, is where the person who DID NOT buy the game with their Nintendo account will play. The second switch is where the person who DID buy the account will play. Nintendo lets anyone on the primary switch play any game bought, but the secondary switch only allows the purchaser to play. You and you and your son will need their own Nintendo accounts, only one account can have access to a game at a time. Even with the Nintendo Family Subscription account. Other wise you will have to buy the game twice to play freely on either switch. If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Top Bottom