PC Merchant does not sell pylon when he apparently should

Guest735

Terrarian
I was out of the game for a while now I'm back, maybe I'm not seeing some thing in case it isn't a bug, details in images

55.png

22.png

33.png

44.png

that's because there are many people/npcs nearby.
just put him with the nurse away from the huge hotel you have there
But as seen in one of the images, this is not the problem, by the merchant's speech.
The rest of the npcs are at the right distance to the merchant's happiness level, at least in previous versions this problem didn't happen.
I think this topic was mistakenly moved out of the bug section, I made it there.

Last edited:
I think, as of the latest change, forest biome (which he likes) + nurse doesn't makes him happy enough to sell the forest (or any other) pylons. you need to find the golfer too. so, merchant + nurse + golfer, makes the merchant happy enough to sell the pylon. - actually though, I'm a bit confused, how come he does not says "so much space", but he doesn't complains about having lots of neighbors either? -

...While this is much more troubling than simply with the nurse so it's kind of a pain... it actually can be used to get some other pylons too, after, by simply moving said trio all-together in another town.

I dunno if this was the developers' intention though with rescaling the happiness system... But the hapiness system just has a bunch of problems all the time... like, now the again 25 blocks distance is just so little... would be nice, if these could be set in the options or something...

actually though, I'm a bit confused, how come he does not says "so much space", but he doesn't complains about having lots of neighbors either? -
The distance of the other npcs in the images are close to the minimum distance that do not decrease the hapiness level, the merchant even shows this with his speech, this has always worked in previous versions, maybe it is something of this new version, but by the speech of the merchant this must be a bug or lack of adjustment in his speech in this version.

Last edited:
The distance of the other npcs in the images are close to the minimum distance that do not decrease the speed level, the merchant even shows this with his speech, this has always worked in previous versions, maybe it is something of this new version, but by the speech of the merchant this must be a bug or lack of adjustment in his speech in this version.
I'm confused. Is there a distance that is a "middle ground" between "so much space" and "awfully crowded"?
I mean, I think, when they have like 3? 4? neighbors, they stop saying "so much space" and won't say "super crowded" either... I think. not sure. but there, there are several neighbors so, if they would be actually detected as neighbors, he would say, the place is crowded...

I'm confused. Is there a distance that is a "middle ground" between "so much space" and "awfully crowded"?
I mean, I think, when they have like 3? 4? neighbors, they stop saying "so much space" and won't say "super crowded" either... I think. not sure. but there, there are several neighbors so, if they would be actually detected as neighbors, he would say, the place is crowded...
According to this video the merchant does not care about the other npcs, only considers the biome and the nurse in my case:

But at that point maybe things shouldn't be the same then

I think, as of the latest change, forest biome (which he likes) + nurse doesn't makes him happy enough to sell the forest (or any other) pylons.
It's too hellish to me, even thinking about going back to my previous game, leaving terraria to later

Last edited:
According to this video the merchant does not care about the other npcs, only considers the biome and the nurse in my case:

But at that point maybe things shouldn't be the same then

It's too hellish to me, even thinking about going back to my previous game, leaving terraria to later
That was a pretty interesting video, and I get now, that it talks about "villagers" who are nearby, but not "neighbors"
But, I think, the info/description on youtube says, that these apply to 1.4.0.3, and the happiness system was changed like twice since that, so I'm not sure what are what applies, and what are that doesn't.

I think, NPCs don't mind having a few more neighbors now. but also think, that it's not possible to get some of the pylons in the ways that worked in 1.4.0.3. for example, you can't get the stylist to sell the ocean pylon just because she's in the ocean and has plenty of space, she needs an NPC she likes, like the dye trader at least until you buy the pylon.

I wonder if the biome + space + 1 liked NPC would make the merchant sell the pylon... but I think he won't sell it. or I'm not sure. (yeah, there is also that, some NPCs are "liked", some are "loved", so loved ones add more hapiness bonus.
I got merchant to sell the jungle pylon just earlier with space + nurse + golfer, and then moved them elsewhere to buy the mushroom pylon too. and it probably works with several other biomes too, which makes the whole thing kinda defeat the whole purpose of caring about the other NPCs happiness enough to sell the pylons...? (but not the discount in prices.) (the wiki states he dislikes the desert, so it might won't work for the desert, but the arms dealer + nurse, or dye trader + arms dealer combo should get the desert pylon the easiest and quickest, usually.
and if the merchant + nurse + golfer trio works for every other biomes, it can be a very fast, and kinda "cheap" way to set up all towns very early game, (except for hallow, since it's not normally present at the start of the game)
didn't tested it but I think it could work, huh.

That's a bit off topic though... but I wonder... hmm... according to the wiki, the nurse and the golfer are both "liked" NPCs, as he has no NPCs he "loves". So, they likely don't give enough bonus, making the most likely strategy to work - if centered around the merchant - that you need the space bonus, the nurse and the golfer (and then the biome doesn't even matters, at least as long as it's not the desert)

merchant + nurse + golfer, makes the merchant happy enough to sell the pylon
I simply added the golfer on top of the two houses, the merchant sold the pylon, it was a change in versions, thanks, after all this is the right place to this topic.

Back
Top Bottom