Terraria State of the Game - March 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, the whole inventory thing related to making multiple trips and missing stuff potentionally is understandable and it adds to the enjoyment knowing, :red: I can;t get that or I got to put it down somewhere and come back for it.

Whatever dude... if they really implement this, I'll stop playing this game forever.
And when they implement it, I will delete Terraria from my library. Including the two dlcs I bought. Edit: Unfortunately there will be no way to delete the normal and shiny badge both level 5 that I made... nor remove my Labor of Love votes that I voted for them every year.
hold_on_a_second(01).jpg

Before you uninstall, there's a few things I wanna say... not necessarily to change your mind but, only give some perspective.
  1. I totally get your frustration, some of the choices the Devs have been making past 1.4.1 have been some major head-scratchers to me, personally. Especially considering the trade-off as-of-late has been game stability and 'functionality' for the sake of more 'stuff', which I'm always against.
  2. Ever since I've gotten into Modding Skyrim SE, I've become a lil' bit more tech savvy, and have a general ideal about how 'memory', coding, and 'optimization' work(s) and is distributed in games, and how and why 'artifacts' can and will appear if you go "overboard"; without considering 'stability' and hardware limitations.
  3. Lastly, like yourself probably, Terraria has gradually fallen out of my top 10 games of all time, but it also has to compete with some newer I.P.s like SSBU, Elden Ring, Returnal, Metroid Dread, Monster Hunter Rise and Classics like Skyrim, Castlevania: SoTN, Super Mario Odyssey...
All this to say, I believe the changes to the storage system/ mechanics are a good thing, for several reasons (some are assumed, so don't take any of this as gospel, I could be reaching).
  1. Something 'broke' in 1.4.2+ that's causing issues with stability when there are "too many" records on-screen at any given time. What I suspect, is that the newer [stack=9999] function, is an attempt at reducing "stack records", which in relation, reduces the amount of "storage graphics" needed to stock-pile the thousands of items in-game. In short, we won't need nearly as many chest items to store things in, especially in something like Journey Mode, where "overflow-limit" is very easy to hit.
  2. Digging/ Mining won't be nearly as annoying, as Dirt Blocks especially, can pile up, flooding your inventory very quickly; which was one of the many reasons I hated digging in this game, aside from the tedium.
  3. Crafting won't be nearly as awkward, especially for recipes with extremely high costs (i.e. Bullets, Arrows)
  4. Finally, 'favorited item', combat-ready inventories won't conflict with Homestead activities nearly as much, seeing as how stack-counts will be higher, so there'll be more room for Building Blocks, Paints, Wires, Tools, etc.
Overall, I suspect that it's a well-thought-out, "how can we improve x, y, z", quality of life change, and for once, a change I actually support. I do see how this will run interference with typical Base-Runs to "restock" and do 'organization tasks"... a lil' bit, but I kinda feel like that ship sailed with Pylons and Void Bags. 🧐 🤷‍♂️

Like I said, I totally get it, I've been hating many of these recent changes as-of-late. I just hope to see more changes like this, and less pointless, unnecessary 'novelty stuffing' (i.e. The Constant + features) that's threatening the already iffy game stability we have in 1.4.3.

Last edited:
I think what Dronni is trying but failing to express is that when your inventory gets full more easily, you are forced to make more trips back to base to unload, which means you spend more time in the gameplay loop of exploration which is what they like. However traveling back to base is easily the worst part of exploration, since you're typically going back through places you've already seen rather than finding new places, and even if you do find new places you have to leave loot behind, so it's not satisfying. If anything, I feel like this change will make the exploration gameplay loop better since you can spend more time looking for new stuff.

Personally my only complaint would be that it kind of breaks immersion that my character can just stick 9999 furnaces in his pocket, but then sticking even a single furnace in your pocket is also pretty ridiculous. Maybe if the player character visually had a backpack or something on, then it could at least be explained away as a magic backpack. I guess you could always say that Terrarians just have magic pants.

I think what Dronni is trying but failing to express is that when your inventory gets full more easily, you are forced to make more trips back to base to unload, which means you spend more time in the gameplay cycle of exploration which is what they like. However traveling back to base is easily the worst part of exploration since you're typically going back through places you've already seen, rather than finding new places, and even if you do find new places you have to leave loot behind so it's not satisfying. If anything I feel like this change will make the exploration gameplay loop better since you can spend more time looking for new stuff.

Personally my only complaint would be that it kind of breaks immersion that my character can just stick 9999 furnaces in his pocket but then sticking even a single furnace in your pocket is also pretty ridiculous. Maybe if the player character visually had a backpack or something on, then it could at least be explained away as a magic backpack. I guess you could always say that Terrarians just have magic pants.
dude, this is a game in which you fight a giant eyeball that shoots eyeballs, and your concerned about having 9999 furnances in your pocket?

Personally my only complaint would be that it kind of breaks immersion that my character can just stick 9999 furnaces in his pocket but then sticking even a single furnace in your pocket is also pretty ridiculous. Maybe if the player character visually had a backpack or something on, then it could at least be explained away as a magic backpack. I guess you could always say that Terrarians just have magic pants.
Doesn't nessecary bother me. Thinking of how many games have a completely unrealistic inventory system, its sort of become normal now, and I'm desensitized to it.

In MineCraft you can carry a stack of gold or iron blocks, in real life thats not only impossiblt but if you could wouldn't that end up causing your spine to snap from the weight, thats the thing MineCraft and Terraria dont always abide by the laws of realism and physics, which is wierd but a good thing in my books. By the way guys If I start saying wierd stuff out of nowhere, just so you know my heads not on straight right now. And true I 9999 furnaces is a lot, I am not bashing the change, but I cannot fathom why youd wanna carry that many around unless you were doing mass decorating, lazy or had a bad habit of losing or forgetting where you put your furnace.

Oh no
We’re going way too off-topic

In MineCraft you can carry a stack of gold or iron blocks, in real life thats not only impossiblt but if you could wouldn't that end up causing your spine to snap from the weight, thats the thing MineCraft and Terraria dont always abide by the laws of realism and physics, which is wierd but a good thing in my books. By the way guys If I start saying wierd stuff out of nowhere, just so you know my heads not on straight right now. And true I 9999 furnaces is a lot, I am not bashing the change, but I cannot fathom why youd wanna carry that many around unless you were doing mass decorating, lazy or had a bad habit of losing or forgetting where you put your furnace.
Well then, the Terrarian will finally be stronger than Alex or Steve

Oh no
We’re going way too off-topic

Well then, the Terrarian will finally be stronger than Alex or Steve
I can complete Master For The Worthy just by starting it and it completes everything. 8D (Just a joke). Getting back on topic some of the limits might seem absurd but theres a reason wnhy but they could always retweak certain item caps if needed. Imagine if weapons and armors and buffs could stack with their effects stacking up too, now that would be way to OP. I would not only break the game with it but id make it my :red:.

I can complete Master For The Worthy just by starting it and it completes everything. 8D (Just a joke). Getting back on topic some of the limits might seem absurd but theres a reason wnhy but they could always retweak certain item caps if needed. Imagine if weapons and armors and buffs could stack with their effects stacking up too, now that would be way to OP. I would not only break the game with it but id make it my :red:.
imagine have 999 sets of solar flare armor equipped on a person.

True guys imagine if armors, weapons and accessories could stage even with reforges and even if armor could be legitimately reforged, with Menacing or Warding youd have a character thats either an unbeatable tank or does an abysmally high amount of damage it would make even the Calamaity characters cry.

I think what Dronni is trying but failing to express is that when your inventory gets full more easily, you are forced to make more trips back to base to unload, which means you spend more time in the gameplay loop of exploration which is what they like. However traveling back to base is easily the worst part of exploration, since you're typically going back through places you've already seen rather than finding new places, and even if you do find new places you have to leave loot behind, so it's not satisfying. If anything, I feel like this change will make the exploration gameplay loop better since you can spend more time looking for new stuff.

Personally my only complaint would be that it kind of breaks immersion that my character can just stick 9999 furnaces in his pocket, but then sticking even a single furnace in your pocket is also pretty ridiculous. Maybe if the player character visually had a backpack or something on, then it could at least be explained away as a magic backpack. I guess you could always say that Terrarians just have magic pants.
Well... I wouldn't even complain if there was at least a launcher in which I could choose the version that I like the most, HOWEVER this is not the case. Are we now forced to play what we think is bad? No, so in that case I won't play anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom