PC Framerate Drops When Entering Biomes? [Windows 10]

rollsy

Skeletron Prime
So, I recently updated to Windows 10, and although this isn't that big of a deal, I felt like I had to say something about it. Whenever I pass through biomes, my framerate drops for a few seconds, then its back to normal like nothing happened. This never happened to me on Windows 8, so I don't know what the problem could be.

windows 10 isn't fully compatible with all programs yet. I haven't installed it for this reason.

Yep. certain files on Windows 10 need to be optimized, give the devs about a month before some of these are fixed.

Framerate / performance has always dropped while transitioning through biomes even on Windows 7 for me. I've never used Windows 8 so I can't speak for it. I think it has to do with the Terraria engine itself telling the game that it needs to switch biomes which calls for a different background, enemies, drops, fishing conditions and other things. Because of this I think it not entirely related to Windows 10.

So, I recently updated to Windows 10, and although this isn't that big of a deal, I felt like I had to say something about it. Whenever I pass through biomes, my framerate drops for a few seconds, then its back to normal like nothing happened. This never happened to me on Windows 8, so I don't know what the problem could be.

I had the same issue on Windows 8.1 and I think I fixed it. Do you have an nVidia graphics card? If so, you'd have to force Vsync in Adaptive mode through the nVidia Control Panel. If you don't know how, follow these steps:

1. Go to the nVidia Control Panel (right-click on Desktop) and click on "Manage 3D Settings" in the left box
2. Click on the Tab "Program Settings" on the right.
3. Click on Add next to the drop down menu box and choose Terraria in the dialog that pops up.
4. Then scroll down in the list of options until you see Vertical Sync and choose the "Adaptive" option, then click Apply below.

So far I haven't experienced this issue ever since.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom