Official Get Wired For Terraria 1.3.1: Calling All Terrarian Mechanics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a suggestion. Actuator Wrenches. This wrench is crafted from a any wrench and 10 actuators. It places down the corresponding color wire, and actuates the block in the same click. May not be too useful, but just an idea.

I would like to see a wireless teleporting system, etc. I would also like to see a bit of programming, like the ComputerCraft mod for Minecraft. I believe the computers run Lua files inside the JVM? Below is some programming and stuff that i came up with.

// Why rain exactly?
$if (rain) {
$("#liztrap1").shoot();
}

and

// Essentially boulder fall code, but specified for any zombie.
$if (**zombie.step(".plate")){
$(".stoneblocks").toggleActuate();
}

In order to give placables id's and classes, one must utilize the ID Staff and Class Staff on the object and a little window will pop up asking you what you want to call it. Both are purchased from the cyborg. Additionally, Class Rockets are purchasable from the cyborg all the time. Using them with a rocket launcher will give all placables in the rocket AoE a specific class. A stack of class rockets must be given a class before they can be used.

Where does the computer reside? As a block? A portable inventory item? Mounted on the block? A placeable crafted from 10 wire and 100 nanites. The computer can then toggle anything in the world. With sufficient programming, this could work as a solution to the wireless teleporting issue.

I think it would be super cool if the language could be similar to jquery, as you can see. The id's and classes would fit terraria perfectly, in my opinion.
What do you guys think of a code system on wires? Or actuator wrenches! I think at least actuator wrenches should get implemented in 1.3.1

I may be simply talking logic gates but don't think this quite fits. I'd like the ability to disable timers, wires, pressure plates... pretty much any device that can send a signal.

It's possible to build these already ;). What are you trying to build?

It's possible to build these already ;). What are you trying to build?
Hey Diceman, always enjoy looking over your builds.

I'm trying to find a way to gracefully shutdown a skeleton engine. With the .33 dart trap cooldown increase timer activations no longer cut it.

How do I kill the signal from this blue wire?

Capture 2015-08-25 21_16_31.png

Wireless teleporters;
Wireless signal points;(dont ask me why...)
New wrench and wire colors(at least 2)
Maybe more powerfull dart traps?

Last edited:
don't have to be so harsh. I doublepost all the time and no one complains. Not that different.
I used to be an admin on a forum and I can tell you that double-posting is fairly ugly. Our policy was that double-posting was not to be done with a 24-hour time period. Granted, this was on a system that allowed editing. I know there are some places that don't allow message editing, so at those places I can understand. Anyway, the reason (in my eyes, anyway) that double-posting is usually frown upon (from my experience) is that it takes up more space and it breaks flow. By flow I mean that I think most forum readers assume that every new post is by a different user. (I have read double-posts before and got confused, wondering what was going on until I looked at the usernames.)

The only other time I've seen double posting (outside of long times between posting) is when there is a major topic shift. (And it usually done by the OP posting.) Anyway, back to the subject at hand...
What do you guys think of a code system on wires? Or actuator wrenches! I think at least actuator wrenches should get implemented in 1.3.1
What exactly would the point of actuator wrenches be? You mention an idea without explaining it purpose or functionality.

The game is already getting cluttered with tools (like real life...) I'm already dreading another wrench color (even if having another wire color would extremely useful). If the idea is just to place actuators, why? The current system is fine as-is.

Can 1.3.1 include any laser mechanics?

for example, you place 2 blocks (either horizontal or vertical) and laser appear between them, if MOB/Player touch it - it triggers:

□----------□ - static
□----X----□ - someone stepped at the X position, triggered.

With Logic Gates in I really don't have much to put out there. But a couple things would be really useful, and easy to implement:

Timers currently activate switches of all kinds, which serves the purpose of making a timer on the same segment as a switch turn itself off. That serves no purpose I can think of (though I'm sure some crazy engineers used it in their builds). Can we change that, make timers not activate switches so they can be remotely activated , or at least make them ignore one another so you can have a manual and automatic mode for your mechanism?

A wire joiner would also be very useful. If your segment needed to cross another segment of the same color, or you didn't want to lay down multiple long segments for multicolored wire structures, it would be great to be able to transfer a signal from one color to another.

A signal delay module would also be pretty useful. Like a timer they would give you an interval between activation and signalling, but unlike a timer they would not automatically repeat, and also unlike a timer they would only send the signal further down the sgement, not back the way it came. That would be useful for sending three separate signals in a sequence from one switch.

Also there's a few activateables I would add, like, more functional statues, the potion, the eyeball, the goblin, the hornet, and the lihzahrd. Also a new kind of trap, the live wire, which is placed on the wire layer, and causes damage to anything in it's square when triggered, as well as throwing some light particles like an electrical spark.

Also can we please do something about the yellow light on the teleporter? Like make it whatever color the thing is painted? It's so ugly next to, well, almost anything, and makes it impossible to hide the things.

Many ideas flowing...

Tenth. Spot-Sensor Wall
Turns on when you're in the spot the wall sensor was placed.
onO5vJt.png

iMznnUA.png
If you're not in the spot anymore, then it will give another pulse to turn off.
When in multiplayer, the sensor won't be deactivated until every player exit it.
oB4Bf5c.png

XhUpkAV.png

I've also updated my original post.

I think the only caveat I'd add is maybe instead of two leads off it like the sprite is currently it simply has a slightly larger square with the sides as the leads?

Turn those rectangles on their side and put them on two sides instead of just off the one... maybe future plan. Could also design a third lead that way if so desired.

Still, this opens all sorts of possibilities.

They aren't "leads". They are save states, separate entities that are attached by the player to the sides of the output box in any desired number in order to create a gate of your choosing.

Many ideas flowing...

Tenth. Spot-Sensor Wall
onO5vJt.png

iMznnUA.png
When in multiplayer, the sensor won't be deactivated until every player exit it.
oB4Bf5c.png

XhUpkAV.png

How does this differ from player activated pressure plates? Can add more plates to create more width unless the intent is to cover a large area not requiring floor contact.
[DOUBLEPOST=1440605891,1440605837][/DOUBLEPOST]
They aren't "leads". They are save states, separate entities that are attached by the player to the sides of the output box in any desired number in order to create a gate of your choosing.
OK, wow... that's even better.

One of the problems I'd like to address is that you cannot connect more than a certain amount of wires of the same color, to the same object, without suddenly having the wires connect to eachother. You cannot have two adjacent wires, as they will interconnect.
I would like to be able to connect plenty of red wires to the same statue, for example.

Another thing I would like, is for wires to actually send timed signals. If I have a long wire that connects a timer to a statue, and then I branch off the middle of the wire to another timer, the middle timer would send its signal earlier.
This could be achieved by using a "Delayer" module, which waits X amount of time before letting the signal continue. Repeaters do similar things in Minecraft, in addition to extending signal strength.
Simply let me hammer the module (or forge a different one) to define its type: Milisecond, Second, etc. Then, let me right-click it and type in a value.
Alternatively, let me just type in comma-separated numbers, so we don't have to sort them by type at all.

Let wires be "protected" by using a protective coat. If you're trying to add additional stuff to an already complex construction, the last thing you wanna do is misclick and remove the important :red:. The protective coat will, until cleaned, prevent a wire from being targeted, removed or connected to, meaning things will not interconnect to it either. You can literally have a wire on the block next to a timer, and if the timer is coated, the wire will simply be beside it but not affect it, allowing you to turn that wire in a different direction and building things in a more compact space.

Connecting one wire to multiple devices also seems to work weirdly in Terraria. Being able to serially teleport from one teleporter to another along a line, by activating their switches in turn, seems not to work. Not only do you not have room to connect multiple wires, due to them interconnecting, but you cannot activate them based on distance either, so you have to use multiple wires.

Wireless wire-signal transmitters (WiFi) modules for continuing signals over long distances without having to interfere with whatever large contraption you have in the middle.

Wrenches that can right-click to remove a wire. I'm tired of having to use two tools and not having a right-click. You can only remove the wire of the color your wrench is, making it so you won't struggle by having to relay your :red: if they overlap.

Pistons, like in Minecraft. Ones that can pull, ones that can push, and ones that move when pushing. Aka pushing left means going left.
Also please make it so pistons can prefer new sticky surfaces; that way, you can make one piston push a block into another piston and let that piston move it further, efficiently being able to push both blocks and items.

The ability to prevent items from being affected by wires, some kind of actuator-esque item that you can place, so that your door won't open and your torch won't flicker if you placed them in the area.

An improvement to how actuators and wires are handled in general. Wires and actuators and more stuff placed onto eachother create an abhorrent mess, and removing actuators is difficult without removing other stuff. I'm not yet sure how to solve this.

Decrease the sensitivity of smart cursor when it comes to wire placement. Right now, moving my cursor just slightly downwards causes me to lay wires diagonally; the entire rest of the screen is unused.
Instead, make it so I have to move my cursor about 2/3rds of the distance to the bottom before things are placed diagonally.

Many ideas flowing...

Tenth. Spot-Sensor Wall
onO5vJt.png

iMznnUA.png
oB4Bf5c.png

XhUpkAV.png

NOW I CAN'T SEE TERRARIA WITHOUT IT!

How does this differ from player activated pressure plates? Can add more plates to create more width unless the intent is to cover a large area not requiring floor contact.

Oh IT IS DIFFERENT, my friend, though it is similar to pressure plate.

so lets say you have a room 30x30 blocks and you want to light things up as long he is present there. (though I would like to see it placable as actuators so you could define shape you want).

when you do that with the pressure plate, you must step on it, but let say you have 3 entrances on your room. 1. left 2. top 3. bottom - you would need 3 presure plates (and apply tricks with top and bottom entrance) while only one of this needed... not to mention that if your friend in multiplayer follows you, he will deactivate lights.. which ultimately not what you looking for.

Last edited:
when you do that with the pressure plate, you must step on it, but let say you have 3 entrances on your room. 1. left 2. top 3. bottom - you would need 3 presure plates (and apply tricks with top and bottom entrance) while only one of this needed... not to mention that if your friend in multiplayer follows you, he will deactivate lights.. which ultimately not what you looking for.
Not counting this is a sensor... It would be wonderful to make adventure maps for 2 players, one stands in the sensor while the other goes to the recently opened door.

Not counting this is a sensor... It would be wonderful to make adventure maps for 2 players, one stands in the sensor while the other goes to the recently opened door.

I like that, that trully will make cool puzzle maps for 2 players where teamwork would play huge role.

Also imagine this GOLDEN situation possible - when your friend stand on the room (with traps on all places, deactivated) to unlock your room with traps (deactivated while he stands on his room), you will have 2-3 choises (either 3 rooms or 3 switches) (2 of them are traps that will kill your friend by activating his traps), but if he leave his room you die (traps will be reactivated on your room) so you both should trust each other and as well solve puzzle which from the choices (switches) wont kill you both and open door/passage to next level.

Reactions: JK0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom