PC How to move chests with content. in 5 steps

ppowersteef

Paladin
Chests can be a pain to move around sometimes, especially if they're filled up. however, I found this, rather easy to use, way of moving.

I've been using this technique while I wanted to move the chests from my main base around, and I feel like I should share this, as it's quite easy to do.

Step 1: Empty your inventory.
upload_2016-2-21_19-31-54.png

Your whole inventory (with exceptions of the hotbar, coins and ammo slots) shouldn't have anything, as it shares the same size of a chest.
Place a different chest where you can put your inventory items temporary. select the chest, and click on "Deposit all". Make sure your hotbar doesn't have empty space, and contains a pickaxe.

Step 2: go to the chest you want to move, and fill the empty spaces with unstackable items.
upload_2016-2-21_19-37-9.png

If it doesn't have empty spaces, you can go to step 3.
every accessoire/weapon with a possible prefix is unstackable, I use copper axes, as they're only 4 silver at the merchant, and you can easily locate them as not many people will store copper axes.
but if there's something cheaper and quickly obtainable, let me know.
Using shift-click on the axes (or deposit all) will transfer the axes directly to the chest.
Make sure your inventory is still empty afterwards.

Step 3: loot all.
upload_2016-2-21_19-41-39.png

The chest content will be mirrored in your inventory, but that's not a big problem.
Be aware that some items might stack up in your hotbar or ammo slots, or coins if you still save them in chests, make sure that there are also no double items in the inventory that havn't reached their stack limit. like two slots of 30 torches.

Step 4: Move the chest.
use your pickaxe/drill to break the chest, click on any item in your inventory to give an open space (so the chest can move in)
click on the chest that you just got in your inventory. and you can move it around.
Place it on any spot you like.

Step 5: Deposit all and remove the axes
upload_2016-2-21_19-49-7.png

Once again, use shift-click to move the axes out of the chest.
Tadaa!! You've successfully moved a chest with content, and without any mess at all!

Take note that you've to rename or recolor your chest again by doing this. But at least, this can be done quick and doesn't need much effort at all.

And that's it, I wouldn't be surprised if anyone have thought of something similar like this.
In this way, you can also move the content of chests to other worlds too(make sure you've already an empty chest ready in that world).
But thank you for your read :)

Last edited:
There we go, I knew the loot all / deposit all features weren't totally, hopelessly random! Nicely laid out algorithm you've shown there. :) Just add styrofoam copper axe packing to keep your goods in place during transit. Now if only the unstackable items would stack, so they didn't take up so much inventory space...

It would be interesting to find what the cut off point for this method being worth while, click count wise. I mean, obviously a completely full chest is very fast, with no packing/unpacking, while if there's just a half dozen items you may as well replace each one by hand... Maybe around half-full? Also, if there's no gaps in the chest inventory, you don't need to pack out the space at the bottom, right?
[DOUBLEPOST=1456082180,1456081902][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, maybe a "Step Zero": place an empty chest, unfavourite any items in your inventory (not in the quick bar) and deposit all to chest, so you can pick up all your bits of tat (that you carry around for no good reason) easily afterwards too. :)

Now if only the unstackable items would stack, so they didn't take up so much inventory space...
Hehe, lol, it's too bad that they're supposed to be unstackable.
It would be interesting to find what the cut off point for this method being worth while, click count wise. I mean, obviously a completely full chest is very fast, with no packing/unpacking, while if there's just a half dozen items you may as well replace each one by hand... Maybe around half-full? Also, if there's no gaps in the chest inventory, you don't need to pack out the space at the bottom, right?
uhm...I've a hard time to understand this. you don't need to remove the axes if you havn't placed them.

Also, maybe a "Step Zero": place an empty chest, unfavourite any items in your inventory (not in the quick bar) and deposit all to chest, so you can pick up all your bits of tat (that you carry around for no good reason) easily afterwards too. :)
I'll add that. thanks

I've a hard time to understand this.
Sorry, I mean, if there were only 2 items in a chest, you wouldn't bother with filling it with copper axes and doing this clever method, you'd just pick them up manually. So, how many items in a chest before it's worth using your method? (Also depends upon where in the chest they are, of course.)

Also, you need to have your hot bar filled, right, to stop items looting into the empty slots there? You could optionally empty your ammo slots, just have a piece of wire, or something unusual in each of those 4 slots (probably unnecessarily fiddly). Also, you could have a chest full of these axes, as part of the proceedure: you loot-all from it, then deposit all (into the chest to move) then deposit all to dump the excess packing back into the axe chest, etc... More useful the more chests you are moving, of course.

Sorry, I mean, if there were only 2 items in a chest, you wouldn't bother with filling it with copper axes and doing this clever method, you'd just pick them up manually. So, how many items in a chest before it's worth using your method? (Also depends upon where in the chest they are, of course.)
Ah, I see
It's mostly depending in how much you want to keep the items ordened. So I would say:
This technique should be useful if you're caring about how the things are placed in your chest, I would use it if I've to loot more than the half of the entire chest.
And if you're planning to move multiple chests around. then I would likely empty my own inventory for it.

Also, you need to have your hot bar filled, right, to stop items looting into the empty slots there? You could optionally empty your ammo slots, just have a piece of wire, or something unusual in each of those 4 slots (probably unnecessarily fiddly). Also, you could have a chest full of these axes, as part of the proceedure: you loot-all from it, then deposit all (into the chest to move) then deposit all to dump the excess packing back into the axe chest, etc... More useful the more chests you are moving, of course.
Let's see, Loot All might fill the hotbar indeed. though Deposit All will ignore it. But I've just made the note that your hotbat should be filled :)
Ammo slots are indeed annoying, I'll try if a piece of wire will work.

Eventually, if you don't use the safe, you can use that as a temporary axe-safe

I tend to take my time, play leisurely, and accumulate ridiculous amounts of schtuff. Which I stuff into chests. And more chests. Until it's time to do the Inventory Shuffle and rearrange things.

The "unstackable backfill" I haven't tried. Good engineer-type thinking though.

there's also another easier method, which works much better for half-ful chests with items in no specefic position:
upload_2016-3-12_18-47-49.png

If your chest inventory looks like this, and everything of your current inventory is favorited, then there's no need to use all the axes to fill the spots and you can safely use loot all directly.

Once again, make sure that when you deposit, you don't have made any inventory changes and that everything else in your inventory is favorited.

Back
Top Bottom