Official Like-bombing, like abuse and related social activities

Yay, one less hiveminding activity, hopefully people will start actually contributing a bit more now.

Tunnel king,the OP is all about like bombs,however,you did not put any cult thing dispite "Cult" activities being in the title. Just pointing that out.

Threads and Social Groups that, at the determination of the staff, exist solely to promote like-bombing of individuals or oppose another individual's like count, will be shut down.

TK doesn't call them "Cults" there, but that's just what cults seem to be in TCF, ego-stroking for/against certain members.

Its okay to update our status if we reach some kind of milestone though, right?
I definitely think that that should be acceptable, but only to a small degree. Boasting about getting likes is rather sad, but stating that you have reached a milestone is however, I believe, good.

How would one go about reporting someone who, for some reason, decides to go like-bombing every one of your posts?
The report system is preferred, just report any post of the person (or yourself, if you feel targeted), and explain.

For points 3 and 4, will there be a way to appeal the decision/receive a prior warning?
Most likely, most people will have some warning and interaction with the staff before this happens. The really egregious like-bombing may not get a warning beforehand.

Will this be on the front page?
No, there is a banner message that all members will see and have to dismiss.

the OP is all about like bombs,however,you did not put any cult thing dispite "Cult" activities being in the title.
This was referring to the Social Groups (and on TO, threads) that sprang up to support like-bombing. Those groups that did exist here have either been dismantled, or are being restructured by their creators.

Again, this announcement was mainly to head off a significant effort by a very few that was disrupting the forum. We are very pleased (and relieved) that this seems to be almost unanimously supported by everyone, including those involved. We sincerely hope that most people will see zero impact on their forum activities from this.

(and I apologize for being a very slow typist, in responding to your questions)

I have a question concerning the "gratuitous posting of how many likes you have".
Whenever I reach another 100 likes , I post something along the lines of "Got past [another] 100 likes [again]!" and post a link to a song (World Clear form SM3DW) as some sort of achievement. Would that be considered as forbidden? I'm wondering if that also applies to stating that I'm at 333 likes, 1234 likes, and other numbers like that.

This is a pretty dumb question, actualy, as I'm pretty sure I know the answer already. I'm just wondering, and I'd like a confirmation so that I don't make any mistakes.

Last edited:
I'm all for the removal of the "Likes" tab. Same for post count.. but especially Likes. It just feels like it's some kind of competition.. people want to be at the top, so they'll do whatever to reach there.

Also, I hope I'm not considered as an abuser of the like system, as I often like posts where someone compliments or thanks someone, such as in art threads. I like their posts even if they're not complimenting me because I like it when people are nice and appreciative!

I'm all for the removal of the "Likes" tab. Same for post count.. but especially Likes. It just feels like it's some kind of competition.. people want to be at the top, so they'll do whatever to reach there.

Too bad now they won't be able to do whatever so they'll have to actually start posting things people can honestly like. Why remove when you can restrict, to the same effect?

At least you know they have stopped it.
Well, we hope we've put a stop to this round of it, at least.

I have a question concerning the "gratuitous posting of how many likes you have".
Mostly, we mean: posting every day how many likes you have, how many more you need to pass <person>, posting on <person>'s profile that you're about to pass them... that sort of thing. Posting an obvious milestone on your own profile is acceptable.

Mostly, we wanted to stop the enormous distraction that it had become. People were starting to take "sides", and even though it was mostly friendly, things like that can quickly spin out of control. The report queue and the staff's inboxes were filling with complaints and accusations.

Again, for the vast majority of members who use likes in the way they were intended - to indicate genuine appreciation for a post - most of this won't affect them at all.

So hypothetical scenario, let's say I go onto some kind of content sharing thread, like a build thread or sprite thread or what have you, wherein the OP sprinkles posts around the thread, much like myself, and I +like all of these single content posts because I genuinely like all of them, that wouldn't necessarily be considered like bombing? Or would I receive an inquiry about my activities, and then I would have to explain myself? Or something else?
(# of likes would probably not exceed 15 of them in one given thread, in the span of a day)

Back
Top Bottom