Standalone [1.3] tModLoader - A Modding API

EVERYONE - PLEASE READ:

Whenever there is an update/patch/hotfix to Terraria, there WILL be a delay in most mods and tools catching up to it. That is unavoidable, and everyone needs to exhibit a bit of patience about it. The mod creators do this in their own time and cannot be expected to work 24/7 just for your unreasonable expectations.

For those of you that do understand that - thanks, but there's no need to be snarky and rude to those who don't understand. Either report them and move on, or (preferably) just ignore them.

Thanks.

>Standing up for the obnoxious capslock cancer and calling out someone who points it out, kek
This is completely unnecessary. If you have an issue with a moderator's action, please contact me or or another staff member about it instead of publicly mocking them.

EVERYONE - PLEASE READ:

Whenever there is an update/patch/hotfix to Terraria, there WILL be a delay in most mods and tools catching up to it. That is unavoidable, and everyone needs to exhibit a bit of patience about it. The mod creators do this in their own time and cannot be expected to work 24/7 just for your unreasonable expectations.

For those of you that do understand that - thanks, but there's no need to be snarky and rude to those who don't understand. Either report them and move on, or (preferably) just ignore them.

Thanks.

This is completely unnecessary. If you have an issue with a moderator's action, please contact me or or another staff member about it instead of publicly mocking them.

<3 Everything takes time, due to the fact that releases are not coordinated, it means that the mod creators need do a bunch of extra work after a release.

the only way to have say tmodloader out at the same time as a terraria patch, would be to share information and to coordinate a patch at the same time, which will probably not happen.

^ It'd be incredibly useful to mod creators and nice to the community if they did that.

But you're right -- I don't see it happening either.

edit after the following post:
I'm referring *only* to those involved in the development of tModLoader getting an earlier shot at the patches, rather than all who make mods -- for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
<3 Everything takes time, due to the fact that releases are not coordinated, it means that the mod creators need do a bunch of extra work after a release.

the only way to have say tmodloader out at the same time as a terraria patch, would be to share information and to coordinate a patch at the same time, which will probably not happen.
Mods and tools aren't official Re-Logic products, they are fan projects. As you point out, this 'pre-release' coordination is unlikely to happen, since there are a large number of people who say they have a mod and would want to be included, and that number would likely increase just so people could gain early access.

So, I'm trying to figure out how to do a "manual" mod, since there aren't any hooks for what I want to do, but I can't quite figure things out...

I'd be capable of decompiling the vanilla terraria exe, making the change then compiling it again, but I have no idea how to do the same while remaining in Tmodloader. I mean, to make the change using the opensource Tmodloader code and having the change be compatible with the modding platform. I saw a readme, but it seems to be outdated. Would any of you be able to help me understand how to work with the source code of Tmodloader, if it's not too much of a hassle? If you need to write like twenty paragraphs to explain it, just tell me it's too complex and I'll forget about it, but if all I need are some basic pointers to understand it, I'd super appreciate it!

(What I want to change is make smashing an altar spawn 50% of each hardmode ore tier, by the way, similarly to the option to generate both copper and tin, but instead of doing it in world gen, doing it upon smashing an altar)

EDIT: Nevermind I'm stupid. Turns out I HAD to clone it instead of downloading for setup.bat to work.

Last edited:
On my tmodloader server, no mobs spawn on the surface. I know its not one of the mods, because it happens when all of them are disabled too. It does not happen on single player. Events don't even work. Please help!
I am still having this issue and have not gotten help. Does anybody know what to do?

Quick question; I've been getting random crashes lately in the newest version of tModLoader.

I know that Thorium is not currently updated for the newest version of tModLoader, but I've been playing a character in an earlier version of tModLoader that ran Thorium just fine, before moving onto the latest version that can't yet run Thorium, resulting in missing items.

Are the crashes being caused by the fact that the character I'm using has had contact with now-unusable items that were only usable in an earlier tModLoader version, and should I make a fresh character that will only come across items in the mods that are loaded and working (ergo a character who was first made in a 0.8.3.4/1.3.3.2 version)?

EDIT: I should also mention that I've also been getting frame drops on my old-world chara, as well; upon making a brand new one and using that, the frames are just fine.

Last edited:
Mods and tools aren't official Re-Logic products, they are fan projects. As you point out, this 'pre-release' coordination is unlikely to happen, since there are a large number of people who say they have a mod and would want to be included, and that number would likely increase just so people could gain early access.

The issue is, giving sourcecode to be easily available could cause other issues to coordinate a release.
Re-Logic cant just add mod support because of how easy it is to make malicious content without any form of control.

basically the way i see it, maybe in the future it might be possible for the developers of tmodloader to get access, but then it's a fairness thing. Where do you guys draw the line?

TL: DR BE PATIENT <3

Serious question here, and I don't know how this would come off. I'm not a coder, I'm just inquisitive. Is it possible, in the current scope of tModLoader, to replace the following server features that tShock has with a mod.

1. Server Stored Characters.
2. Last Known Location Teleportation after leaving a server or a single player game for that matter.
3. Death Chests (For Medium Core) or the ability to limit what drops in Medium Core.

I've already seen that HERO's Mod does a lot of things tShock did well, but I'm just curious if more is possible. I have an idea of how an API works, are there hooks in place to make these things possible, or would there need to be a collaboration at this point (which is unlikely)?

Edit: I just realized that only one of those is ACTUALLY a server only feature.

Serious question here, and I don't know how this would come off. I'm not a coder, I'm just inquisitive. Is it possible, in the current scope of tModLoader, to replace the following server features that tShock has with a mod.

1. Server Stored Characters.
2. Last Known Location Teleportation after leaving a server or a single player game for that matter.
3. Death Chests (For Medium Core) or the ability to limit what drops in Medium Core.

I've already seen that HERO's Mod does a lot of things tShock did well, but I'm just curious if more is possible. I have an idea of how an API works, are there hooks in place to make these things possible, or would there need to be a collaboration at this point (which is unlikely)?

Edit: I just realized that only one of those is ACTUALLY a server only feature.
Should all be totally possible.

@jopojelly

Now we can only hope someone will do it, at least the Server Stored Characters, that system is a beautiful thing. I'm surprised we haven't seen a death-chest or some kind of "Make mediumcore bearable" mod yet, I really want to add some challenge to Terraria without having to pull my hair completely out every time I die. Anyways thanks for the assistance I will forward that positive information/attitude toward the person that might actually make it happen... maybe.

I was just wondering, does the same mods still work after the game and tModLoader are updated? Or does every mod become unusable after every update?

@samufinland

It depends, in a perfect world Re-Degit never updates anything and only ADDS new content, however this world is not perfect. Anytime a hook that a mod uses is changed in the vanilla game, you'll have to wait till tModLoader updates that hook and then wait for the mod to work with the new update. Sometimes Mods will pass through untouched, as we saw with a lot of mods this time, however when something like fishing is changed (from what I'm understanding the problem this time around) you'll have a few mods that have to fix all their fishing content (i.e. Thorium).

Sorry that was a roller-coaster of a bad explanation, but I'm pretty sure I explained it right.

I have a question? When mods start adding post moon lord content and you have multiple mods that will do that, how would tmodloader handle post moon lord game modes? because i feel like if a few add biomes to the world after moon lord wouldnt that cause issues like over crowding the world with biomes? or will there possibly be a config setting to turn off or select the mod that gets to have the post moon lord game mode?

@jermeister6

From what I could understand from your post, you're worried about overcrowding of biomes so limit it. As a player you should limit mods that do things like that to one or two, if you are a dev you should consider looking into Alternate Dimensions (I believe this is already possible but I can't say how, I think there is a post about it). The future of modding is starting to get real interesting though with all these options, and tModLoader just keeps getting better.

Side Note: There are also some mods and stuff that allow for Super Large worlds, again you'd have to look into that yourself but it is possible to have even larger worlds with more area to infect with all those biomes.

Back
Top Bottom