Minimum height for sky fishing

Tyro

Steampunker
I've yet to catch a single sky lake fish in my (natural) sky lake, even with a golden fishing pole and Master Bait; I think it spawned too low. What's the minimum height on a Large world? I'm hoping I can just build a high platform for sky fishing, if it's close enough to the necessary altitude.

Has the music changed to the Sky music? Does the Depth Meter state that you are currently in the Sky layer?

If yes, but no sky fish, then I'd suggest an artificial farm. Gather a bunch of water and place it all on a bunch of blocks(of your choice, I'm mostly sure Cloud Blocks aren't neccessary) at the highest possible comfortable height and see if that works. I can't say the minimum required height for sure, as the zones in these worlds usually vary in size a little bit(though I may be wrong). Best bet is to build an artificial fishing farm as high in the sky as you possibly can.

Has the music changed to the Sky music? Does the Depth Meter state that you are currently in the Sky layer?

If yes, but no sky fish, then I'd suggest an artificial farm. Gather a bunch of water and place it all on a bunch of blocks(of your choice, I'm mostly sure Cloud Blocks aren't neccessary) at the highest possible comfortable height and see if that works. I can't say the minimum required height for sure, as the zones in these worlds usually vary in size a little bit(though I may be wrong). Best bet is to build an artificial fishing farm as high in the sky as you possibly can.
The depth meter counts "sky" as "surface" until the Space layer

EDIT: And I can't find a "sky" track listed on the Music page on the wiki

Last edited:
Apologies, I've mistakenly called the track and the layer "Sky." Instead, you should look for "Space."

Hope this helps.

Apologies, I've mistakenly called the track and the layer "Sky." Instead, you should look for "Space."

Hope this helps.
You should be able to fish for sky stuff far below the "space" level. The best hint I've found is ">50% above the surface".

You should be able to fish for sky stuff far below the "space" level. The best hint I've found is ">50% above the surface".
There is no "Sky" layer, I've just mistakenly called it that. What you are looking for should be found in the "Space" layer, which is essentially the sky layer. So if you are looking for "Sky" fish, make sure you are in the "Space" biome.

There is no "Sky" layer, I've just mistakenly called it that. What you are looking for should be found in the "Space" layer, which is essentially the sky layer. So if you are looking for "Sky" fish, make sure you are in the "Space" biome.
Sky starts WAY below space wrt fishing

However, there is no sky layer in this game. If you are looking for a fish or item that is referenced to be found in the sky, then you should be looking in the "Space" layer, which you can tell because of the music change and gravity change.

While it doesn't make sense from a theoretical stand point, that is just how Terraria handles itself. The layers go from(bottom to top): Underworld, Caverns, Underground, Surface, and Space. Again, if you are looking for something in the "sky" then do some fishing in the Space biome.

It's not a layer, but it does exist wrt fishing - according to the wiki it's the area that's more than 50% above surface but not yet at space. I'm trying to learn whether that starts at 0 depth or at the actual surface.

Ah, I was unaware that fishing was handled that way. In that case, the surface technically starts at "1" depth, while the Level Surface starts at "0". With regard to that, I'd just do some math with when the Space layer starts in your world and divide it by two, and anything between those 2 numbers(halfway point of the surface to Space) should be the reasonable range for "sky" fishing depth-wise. Hope that helps.

Anyways, what fish are you trying to catch?

Ah, I was unaware that fishing was handled that way. In that case, the surface technically starts at "1" depth, while the Level Surface starts at "0". With regard to that, I'd just do some math with when the Space layer starts in your world and divide it by two, and anything between those 2 numbers(halfway point of the surface to Space) should be the reasonable range for "sky" fishing depth-wise. Hope that helps.

Anyways, what fish are you trying to catch?
Damselfish and certain quest fish

Back
Top Bottom