tModLoader Terraria Manhunt: Tracker Item (also Friendly Fire and Team Chat)

ShadowFoxx

Terrarian
Disclaimer: This is not a post saying I plan on making the mods suggested in this thread. I am incapable of making mods, and don't plan on getting into it in the foreseeable future. What I'm hoping for is that someone will see these suggestions and make a mod(s) for them. I do not seek credit or compensation for the ideas. Full credit goes to whoever makes the mod or mods. I don't even want to be in the description of the mods. I simply wish to see these mods implemented because I have started doing Terraria Manhunt with some friends, and these mods would help make it go more smoothly, and possibly more like Minecraft Manhunt (in regards to friendly fire). And who knows, if these mods are made, maybe other players will see them and consider trying their own version of Terraria Manhunt. That is all. Now onto the mod ideas.

Terraria Manhunt: Tracker Item

This mod would essentially add Minecraft's Compass item into Terraria, combined with whatever functionality is used to have said Compass point to specific players (seriously, how does that work?). Every new character will start with the Tracker item in their inventory. This item only works while held by the player or highlighted in the hotbar. While held or highlighted (we'll just say "held" from now on to include both of these), a compass icon of sorts will appear above the player. By default, the arrow in this icon points to the world origin point/initial spawn point (or perhaps it should just be an arrow without anything else). If you right click while holding the Tracker, a menu will appear showing the name of every player in the world, excluding the holder. If you then left click a player in that menu, the arrow will point towards that player (hence why the holder doesn't appear in the menu; you don't need an arrow pointing to yourself). The menu would disappear after doing this. Once again, this arrow only appears while holding the Tracker, however selecting a player in the menu will be permanent until another player is selected. I imagine this would be accomplished by accessing the coordinates of every player in the world, since tracking a player's coordinates is an existing mechanic in the vanilla game (via the Compass and Depth Meter items).

Terraria Multiplayer Team Enhancements

This mod would add two things as a baseline: a "Team Chat" that players on the same team can access, but other players can't, and "Friendly Fire," which is self explanatory. The Team Chat could either be something that overrides the normal chat if players have selected a team color, or be accessed via a hotkey. Assuming it's the former, I would suggest making it a configurable option. Friendly Fire should also be a configurable option. I don't think I need to explain the Team Chat any further, but just in case, I'll give an example: Players 1 and 2 are on the green team, Players 3 and 4 are on the yellow team, and Player 5 is on the blue team. Player 1 is hiding in a dark spot where other players can't see him and has a Compass and Depth Meter, and sees Player 5 passing above him, going right. Player 1 accesses the Team Chat and types "Single enemy at 143 Surface, 367 West, headed to the right," to tell his teammate where Player 5 is. Player 2 is near the center of the world, and sees this message in green text at the bottom left of the screen. Players 3, 4 and 5 don't see this. As Player 2 is heading over to intercept Player 5, Player 4, also hiding in a dark spot, sees Player 2 running by. By habit, Player 4 hits enter and types "Someone is running to the left, away from the world's center." Everyone sees this message in white, like normal. Player 3 responds, in Team Chat, saying "Since everyone saw that, lets not make any moves and see what happens. Try to get away from where you are right now." Only Player 4 sees this message, and its in yellow text. As Player 5 is the only player on blue team, they have no need for the Team Chat, but if they sent a message in Team Chat, they would be the only player to see it, and it would be in blue text. Of course, anyone sending a message would be able to see their own message after it was sent, just like with the normal chat. Also, when I said "This mod would add two things as a baseline," I said that because I'm sure their could be other improvements to Teams in multiplayer that I haven't thought of. If you end up making these mods, feel free to add whatever you want that you think would be useful...just please don't make them troll mods. That's the main thing I'd like to avoid with this.

Once again, I hope someone will consider making these. I don't know much about coding or modding, but I feel like these would be relatively simple to make (maybe not the Team Chat...I honestly don't know. The Tracker and Friendly Fire sound fairly easy for someone who can actually mod). Thank you for your time.

Edit: Someone has informed me that Terraria already has a Team Chat, so the second section is only for the Friendly Fire. I'll still leave everything up there so the replies don't seem out of context.

Last edited:
Team chat is already a feature, you type your message as "/p <message>". It will send the message in the color of your team and if you are not on the same team you will not see it.

Team chat is already a feature, you type your message as "/p <message>". It will send the message in the color of your team and if you are not on the same team you will not see it.
Ooooo, thank you for that! The wiki page for Multiplayer doesn't talk about that, so I was unaware. That's very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom