Experimental Features - Texture Pack Support and World Seeds!

Discussion in 'PC - Re-Logic' started by Leinfors, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Yoraiz0r

Yoraiz0r Lead Developer Re-Logic

Yup! supposedly any texture with the same name as Terraria's textures will be properly replaced.

Endie likes this.
  2. Zanderstorm

Zanderstorm Skeletron

Wait PNG suport,
    Wait you can pixel!?!?!?!

Edit: I remember, you CAN pixel!
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 17, 2016, Original Post Date: Nov 17, 2016 ---
    I can probably create a thread later on today

3. M4D-4LI3N

M4D-4LI3N Retinazer

Check this: http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Item_IDs
    It contains the ID of every item in the game. Just name your item(s) as the one(s) you want to replace.
    There is a lot of tutorials for anyone starting "retexturing" but the basics things are a software that supports png files and transparency and an xnb to png converter .

Yoraiz0r and Endie like this.
  4. Endie

Endie Skeletron Prime

Thanks for the quick response!

Alright, i already have an image editing software, so i'm set on that. But i'll have to find a XNB to PNG converter somewhere.

I'd prefer not to take this post too off-topic, though. This is to discuss the experimental features, not texture making and creation specifically. :p

5. Techdude594

Techdude594 Skeletron Prime

I just want to thank whoever made this feature! Texture packs are back with a vengeance! I do have one request, would you guys consider adding support for fonts to be changed natively? I have a WIP interface texture pack, and one if the features is custom fonts. If you guys could add support for these to be directly installed via this new feature, that would be incredible! This update just keeps giving! So many texture pack creators love this feature, the community is forever changed!

6. PieOfCthulhu

PieOfCthulhu Skeletron

Looks like I'll have to find another way to help out with the Terrafine Project. For all other purposes, though, this is very exciting. Of all things, the main thing to be excited about here (in my opinion) is that it's a step forward for modding support (or, at the very least, Terraria not being a nightmare to attempt to mod).

7. class101

class101 Terrarian

Now guys you need to hide some funny seeds to discover in the game ala Binding of Isaac :)

Anyway, just resurrected my old account in here to say big thanks guys, this is one of the greatest feature you put in the game

8. M4D-4LI3N

M4D-4LI3N Retinazer

Indeed! It is an awesome opportunity for packs like Texture a Day Pack, Terrafine Project, Pixely Perfect and so many others(like your project @Techdude594 ) This is the beginning of a new era for both gamers and spriters.

Techdude594 likes this.
  9. Techdude594

Our pack (Someone else helps me), is now called KATTUI, Kiddles and Techdude's Terraria UI! This new feature will make everything so much easier! Don't have to use annoying converters any more! Hurrah!

M4D-4LI3N likes this.
  10. Quine

Quine Official Terrarian

i've noticed that items and npcs can be bigger then default with texture packs, but do the hitboxes stay the same or does it resize with the texture?

11. Techdude594

I believe the hit boxes are in fact fixed.

12. Exodus Starlit

Exodus Starlit Dungeon Spirit

This actually remind me that first texture pack was about expanding female variant to vanity sets.
    When I was only making these textures: Item (weapons,...) armors( too vanity items)

I already done some texturing little before this got released, I will try to test them tommorrow.
    Even you said it, I don't think it is possible. Since it only does to the non-animated projectiles and items,.... but I might be wrong, maybe you think differently.

13. Techdude594

I am quite confused by what you are on about. Are you saying that there are animated projectiles that can have their hit box changed? Apology for being a texture pack noob xS.

14. If texture packs are going to be a major thing in the coming updates I can see one pack that will be revived.
    The Legend of Zelda pack, I remember using that pack back in 1.2 days of Terraria and loved the look of it.
    So I'm hoping to see that pack be revived cause using that along with other packs would be great.

15. Techdude594

YES! That texture pack was beautiful back in the day! Also, the TaD pack (texture a day pack) would be great to see! This feature will revive the quiet texture pack community! I already know of 3 packs that are being developed as a result of this new feature!

16. SamTerarrium

SamTerarrium Skeletron Prime

I am falling love for the texture packs and world seeds, I never do the texture packs and world seeds on Terraria, this is my first time on this :D

17. Techdude594

World seeds are brand new with 1.3.4! However, texture packs have been around since the beginning of the game! Only now are they starting to get some love again!

18. SamTerarrium

SamTerarrium Skeletron Prime

That's amazing ;)

Techdude594 likes this.
  19. coffeemancer

coffeemancer Terrarian

"I haven't heard one way or another about that just yet!"

aahahaha

1) Can we make really tricked out worlds with a borked seed (like "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" or a pacman 255 type deal)

2) are chests and things the same?

3) are devs planning on making their own texture options?

20. Yoraiz0r

Yoraiz0r Lead Developer Re-Logic

1) The truth is we don't know! up until recently the game did not have a reliable randomization, which means seeds literally weren't a feature - even for us.

2) Yes, world generated with the same settings and seed will have the exact same locations and chests. (I hope <_<, it's experimental )

3) Right now we're focused on stabilizing 1.3.4 and getting more references/examples set up for the texture pack support, so this has not yet been determined.

Mimp and Xman101 like this.