Console 1.3: A Progress Update on the Road to Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.3.0.7 for starters. Other updates will follow.
Yep. And likely pretty quick, considering it will soon be closer to a copy and paste rather than a "Slowly, tediously add more code to something that was hard-coded, as well as changing it to a different code base"

It won’t ever be “copy paste” from PC code. However, the work now lays the foundation for that to be smoother than it was before... and to have a single console core codebase vs what amounted to a mishmosh of various codebases managed by two different dev teams.

Time will tell, I suppose, but logically, this new approach should make things far more streamlined.

but I was saying that it would be much closer to that than trying to work around all the hard-coding Engine did.

You make it sound as if you had a look at the original source code for both PC and consoles. Do you actually know the meaning of "hard-coding"?

Do you actually know the meaning of "hard-coding"?
Pretty sure it means it was put in the code base in a way that makes it difficult to change and work around. Still, I am only a novice coder, and I could be wrong.

You make it sound as if you had a look at the original source code for both PC and consoles.
Obviously this is not the case, but the whole point of rebuilding the game's engine is to make it closer to the PC code. I believe they said Consoles were switching to Unity? And PC is in C# using XNA.

Step up the complaints peeps! Normally complaint threads are at least entertaining, this is the exact sa-wait.........

Ahhh, pipeworks, give us the game for free right now otheriwse ill be personally damagef forever and I will make you pay for it! I need my feusters!!!!

I'm assuming most realise I'm joking :p

Now....how many people know what a feuster is :smirk:

I mean, it can't possibly be worse than the 1.2 update right now...
Agreed, the game looks good and stable, I’m happy with having it now considering they’ve made us wait nearly 2 months of this q4 delay rather than “a few weeks” like they said.

They aren't, it isn't powerful enough for 1.3
The vita is powerful enough to handle Terraria. The game already exists on there and there is nothing in the update the vita couldn't handle.

The reason they don't want to update it, is because there is no profit to be gained from the time and effort to update it and that's perfectly understandable

The vita is powerful enough to handle Terraria. The game already exists on there and there is nothing in the update the vita couldn't handle.

The reason they don't want to update it, is because there is no profit to be gained from the time and effort to update it and that's perfectly understandable

Consider that the Xbox 360, which is unable to run Terraria in it's updated state, possesses the same amount of RAM that the PS Vita has to offer. Terraria is an extremely memory hungry game to run, and 1.3 adds many more layers to the already large strain it can take.

The game would be running at probably about 10 FPS or less with old hardware like that.

Awww... but I love playing Terraria on my Vita... well at least I can summon Ocram all I want without potential updates stopping that.

The problem is less about what the system can display, and more the amount of information included.

Terraria was designed to hold the entire game in RAM at all times. The world map, every enemy and item is loaded all at once and kept there. It's how the world is constantly being updated even in areas of the map you aren't around to see. All of that information tears through the RAM on consoles really easily. It's the reason only PS4, XB1, newer mobile devices and the Switch are getting 1.3. They have the RAM needed to hold the game at this point.

A version of the engine was attempted on mobile and 3DS that streamed the assets like modern games to lessen the RAM problem. Unfortunately that ended up being a huge mess that didn't allow many features to work very well at all.

I’m pretty sure I checked everywhere, but just in case can anyone tell me if there has been any news past September 12th about 1.3 on console. If you can help me, thanks. I think we’re all going crazy from lack of news. Would be great to hear something new. Thanks.

I’m pretty sure I checked everywhere, but just in case can anyone tell me if there has been any news past September 12th about 1.3 on console. If you can help me, thanks. I think we’re all going crazy from lack of news. Would be great to hear something new. Thanks.
I don't think there has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom