• Switch 1.4: New patch released Jan 18, details are here. Read the full release details here. Report bugs here.

Standalone [1.3] tModLoader - A Modding API

greenman

Terrarian
Tmodloader could be released today if they wanted but unfortunately the Tmodloader team are kind of holding it hostage until they complete some unnecessary, optional improvements.

They could release 1.4 and let modders update their mods and players play the game and THEN work on the optional changes they've been working on. However, rather than this, they would prefer to work on nice but albeit unnecessary improvements, while making everybody wait for them, such as an entire API restructuring.

Don't get me wrong some of these changes are nice but if the Tmodloader team focused exclusively on just updating to 1.4 then this would have been released months ago.

The argument that "It would be annoying to have constant updates in Tmodloader and having modders constantly updating their mods" is valid but hyperbolic in a sense. It could easily be prevented by pushing bigger updates less frequently as opposed to smaller updates more frequently if you know what I mean. Fix the gamebreaking and high frequency bugs and release it before you engage in pursuit of optional extras that 99% of the userbase do not care about.

Sephiroth

Spazmatism
Tmodloader could be released today if they wanted but unfortunately the Tmodloader team are kind of holding it hostage until they complete some unnecessary, optional improvements.

They could release 1.4 and let modders update their mods and players play the game and THEN work on the optional changes they've been working on. However, rather than this, they would prefer to work on nice but albeit unnecessary improvements, while making everybody wait for them, such as an entire API restructuring.
Source of this info? Started looking around the discord and I must be blind, not seeing anything about this.

Last edited:

greenman

Terrarian
Source of this info? Started looking around the discord and I must be blind, not seeing anything about this.

Yes it's from the Discord and also their State of the Game post. They say:

Our biggest remaining goals as of now are the following:
- Mod sound & music playback reimplementation & fixes.
- Object-oriented topological sorting-based redesign of interface layers and world generation passes.
- Conversion of Tile to 'struct' for the sake of memory optimizations.
- Steam Workshop support - though this may release after TML 1.4, the timing is still a bit undedecided

Not a single one of these are necessary (After all, Tmodloader 1.3 worked without these changes, and so would 1.4).

These are simply nice to have additions that could be patched to the loader after release.

Sephiroth

Spazmatism
- Mod sound & music playback reimplementation & fixes.
So you'd rather play with mods that don't have their music and sound effects implemented?
- Object-oriented topological sorting-based redesign of interface layers and world generation passes.
You'd rather have mods release on their current structure only to have to update again later when they optimize/redesign their world generation layers and such?
- Conversion of Tile to 'struct' for the sake of memory optimizations.
Memory optimizations, especially on a 32-bit app does mean things, because the lighter certain things are, the more mods one can run before running into Out of Memory errors... A huge problem with the current 32-bit only TModloader for 1.3.x
- Steam Workshop support - though this may release after TML 1.4, the timing is still a bit undedecided
I give you this one, its a nice to have. We do have the in-game mod browser, but I'm certain the TModLoader team would rather shift mod hosting over to Steam so they don't need to continue operating the mod repository they've got currently that powers their in-game mod browser/downloader/installer. I'm sure the TModloader team doesn't get paid to host the mods on the mod browser as it is...

Out of the four items above, feels to me only one of them aren't more necessary than the others. Steam Workshop Support ... But again, that's up to the team to decide.

steviegt6

Official Terrarian
especially on a 32-bit app does
tML is a 64bit .NET Core app in 1.4 (originally targeted AnyCPU, don't know if there are plans to support both architectures again yet). This isn't downplaying the usefulness, just adding some extra context. Any memory improvements are good for a game like Terraria.

Sephiroth

Spazmatism
tML is a 64bit .NET Core app in 1.4 (originally targeted AnyCPU, don't know if there are plans to support both architectures again yet).
That's good to hear. However, I'm referring to how the current tML release is purely 32-bit only, (And needs yet another 3rd party to get a 64-bit client released) ... Glad to hear this barrier has been defeated.

greenman

Terrarian
So you'd rather play with mods that don't have their music and sound effects implemented?

The music and sound already works although with some looping and bugs, which should be prioritised before launch, but the Tmodloader team would rather "reimplement" the entire thing from scratch rather than just fix some bugs in the current code.

You'd rather have mods release on their current structure only to have to update again later when they optimize/redesign their world generation layers and such?

Yes. It doesn't take long for modders to update their mods. Ask the modders themselves if you don't believe me. It's a small price to pay, and like I said, Tmodloader updates could be published with large changes infrequently, so as to avoid modders having to update numerous times and often.

Memory optimizations, especially on a 32-bit app does mean things, because the lighter certain things are, the more mods one can run before running into Out of Memory errors... A huge problem with the current 32-bit only TModloader for 1.3.x

We've all had fun playing Tmodloader for the past 5 years without this change. Why is it necessary all of a sudden now? It's a positive improvement I would like to see but why couldn't the modders release Tmodloader now and work on these nice optimizations afterwards instead of making people wait?

steviegt6

Official Terrarian
Well let's say Fargos or Thorium for example, how long will it take?
Took me like 3-5 days to port Fargo's Mutant Mod, but it was incredibly unpolished. Souls would take considerably longer. Thorium already has a port started by @direwolf420 AFAIK, but I'm not familiar enough with the code-base to estimate.

greenman

Terrarian
Took me like 3-5 days to port Fargo's Mutant Mod, but it was incredibly unpolished. Souls would take considerably longer. Thorium already has a port started by @direwolf420 AFAIK, but I'm not familiar enough with the code-base to estimate.

So for this large 1.4 update you'll have to spend 1-2 weeks sorting out one of the biggest mods on the platform, and less time for smaller mods.

Let's imagine Tmodloader prioritises all of the most important bugs, fixes them, then releases today. You'd spent 1-2 weeks updating. Then Tmodloader can spend time working on their four main core objectives listed above in their own time, and push out an update when that's complete in a couple of months time. In which you spend another week updating.

Would you prefer making thousands of players wait another six to twelve months for Tmodloader, so that modders don't have to spend 1-2 weeks time updating their project?

steviegt6

Official Terrarian
So for this large 1.4 update you'll have to spend 1-2 weeks sorting out one of the biggest mods on the platform, and less time for smaller mods.

Let's imagine Tmodloader prioritises all of the most important bugs, fixes them, then releases today. You'd spent 1-2 weeks updating. Then Tmodloader can spend time working on their four main core objectives listed above in their own time, and push out an update when that's complete in a couple of months time. In which you spend another week updating.

Would you prefer making thousands of players wait another six to twelve months for Tmodloader, so that modders don't have to spend 1-2 weeks time updating their project?
Your thinking is flawed.

Firstly, the amount of time tML has taken is inexcusable, and that's honestly obvious at this point. Certain contributors have down an amazing job at scaring off or discouraging other contributors from ever touching tML due to previous events.

Secondly, your method of thinking is narrow-minded. The entire point of stuffing this into a single update is to avoid annoying and cumbersome accommodations and obsolete/otherwise archaic implementations in the future. A lot of time has gone into refining and improving the actual code base and API as a whole. Your thought experiment isn't realistic and doesn't accurately represent what the team is focused on, so it doesn't really apply.

Currently, it's more of a "just make them wait since they've already had to" type deal, since releasing tML as it is now when there's still a lot of other stuff that needs to get done is just going to frustrate modders and will discourage updating anyway. The main stuff the team wants to get done does not represent what is currently being worked on.

If you want to play tML 1.4 so badly, then just grab a beta from GitHub.

greenman

Terrarian
Secondly, your method of thinking is narrow-minded. The entire point of stuffing this into a single update is to avoid annoying and cumbersome accommodations and obsolete/otherwise archaic implementations in the future. A lot of time has gone into refining and improving the actual code base and API as a whole. Your thought experiment isn't realistic and doesn't accurately represent what the team is focused on, so it doesn't really apply.

They could make these changes after releasing. Development doesn't cease after release.

steviegt6

Official Terrarian
They could make these changes after releasing. Development doesn't cease after release.
You completely missed the point. One of the main purposes of this update is to abolish redundancies and obsolete features. This would just reinstill them later.

steviegt6

Official Terrarian
Why not do this after releasing?
Because doing that after a release would force a bunch of mods to update again, which is generally inconveniencing and takes away from one of the main goals of tML 1.4 restructuring and refactoring its internals. Stop being selfish and asking for an unfinished mess of an update.

greenman

Terrarian
Because doing that after a release would force a bunch of mods to update again, which is generally inconveniencing and takes away from one of the main goals of tML 1.4 restructuring and refactoring its internals. Stop being selfish and asking for an unfinished mess of an update.

Is an object-oriented topological sorting-based redesign of interface layers and world generation passes necessary to this goal?

Top Bottom